IGNORED

Fuel level in tank neck when filling

ednap

Just curious about how full is full on my 1150RT.

At what point are you supposed to stop filling the tank?

At the base of the metal insert or higher?

Seems to overflow through internal vents at the point but the reason I ask is that every now and then I manage to get the top bar of the fuel guage to display but most often the top bar is still blank after filling.

Cheers

I notice the same thing with my 03 1150RT. Unless I *really* top it off, my fuel indication will not go full scale.

Ed

Paul Mihalka

There was a change in gas tank filler necks between the R1100RT and the R1150RT. The R1150 neck goes deeper preventing the tank to be filled as high as on the R1100. I'm sure the gauge inside the tank was not modified from the R1100 to the R1150. This way with a full R1100RT tank you get the top gauge bar, but on the R1150RT you don't get it, or if you do it disappears very soon.

There was a change in gas tank filler necks between the R1100RT and the R1150RT. The R1150 neck goes deeper preventing the tank to be filled as high as on the R1100. I'm sure the gauge inside the tank was not modified from the R1100 to the R1150. This way with a full R1100RT tank you get the top gauge bar, but on the R1150RT you don't get it, or if you do it disappears very soon.

Thanks for that. Explains a lot and makes sense.

Cheers

The bottom of the neck is the full designed point. The extra air space is so the evaporative emissions control system will purge the tank properly.

Personally, the fuel tank is bigger than my bladder anyway, so what's the point? Have to stop to empty one and fill the other anyway!

One other possibility is that there is some resistance in the fuel level sender circuit, typically at the connector. This will also cause the symptom you describe.

I suggest cleaning the connector contacts and see if there is any difference.

If this is the problem, and you have had the bike since it was new, then there should have been some deterioration in the gauge performance. Example: When new, the gauge would keep the top bar on for about 20-25 miles. Now the top bar rarely ever goes on.

Other things that can effect fuel level indication is suspension setting and 1-up vs. 2-up.

Another thing that might have an influence:

Fuel type - Ethanol is slightly denser than gasoline. However, even for a 20% Ethanol/80% Gasoline mix, the density change is really small.

Gas has a specific gravity range of 0.72 to 0.75

20% mix a range of 0.735 to 0.765

(Source)

I will fill the tank to the very brim, if...I am going to ride at least 20 miles or so before I park it. I only fill to the bottom of the neck if I plan to park the bike. Without the air space, the fuel will expand and end up in the charcoal canister or on the the ground. dopeslap.gif

I will fill the tank to the very brim, if...I am going to ride at least 20 miles or so before I park it. I only fill to the bottom of the neck if I plan to park the bike. Without the air space, the fuel will expand and end up in the charcoal canister or on the the ground. dopeslap.gif
So you are saying you can fill to the VERY top without filling to the canister?
So you are saying you can fill to the VERY top without filling to the canister?

Ed, I don't think Oz bikes are fitted with the canister. Pretty sure you can fill to the brim. Any overflow will just go down the tube.

(Anybody feel free to jump down my throat if wrong)

One question has always bugged me. The rated capacity of 25L. Is that taken from the bottom of the fill neck or at the top?? I've filled up with 24.02 L having done 475kM always filling to the bottom of the neck. Wish there was some definite way of checking other than pulling the tank and doing it quantitively.

Cheers

The one time I filled it to the rim my fuel level indicator took a week to finally recover. I assumed I screwed it up by filling up to the rim, but maybe it was a coincidence. If others have not had this problem I'll do it again.

Paul Mihalka
Is that taken from the bottom of the fill neck or at the top?? I've filled up with 24.02 L having done 475kM always filling to the bottom of the neck. Wish there was some definite way of checking other than pulling the tank and doing it quantitively.

Cheers

Rated capacity should be to the bottom of the filler neck. I think the charcoal canister is a USA (needed for California regulations) only thing.

Checking quantity, here is what I do when I get a new to me bike: I put a one gallon can with gas in the saddle bag. When I know that fuel in the tank is fairly low, I go cruising on a stretch of road that has plenty of gas stations and good shoulder for sudden stops. At the first notice of stumbling I stop, fill in the gallon of gas, and go to the next gas station. Fill up to the bottom of the neck. That plus one gallon is total capacity. Next time when the reserve light comes on, I stop for gas as soon as possible. With a fill-up I know now how much reserve I had left.

I like to do this, because with my travels I want to know what i have.

I guess one of these days when I'm on a long ride I'll just keep filling and see what happens.

No canister on the Oz models, that rings a bell now that you mention it.

Ed,

I've filled my RT very near to the top of the neck only to find that after riding home from the servo, it piddled from the overflow pipe onto the garage floor.

The only time I fill to the top is when I'm heading off on the highway immediatley after filling so that I continually use fuel to compensate for any volume created by the expansion of cold fuel.

For running around town, I don't bother going over the bottom of the filler neck and as Ken H. mentioned, refuelling stops are mostly bladder controlled.

Archived