IGNORED

What does a 12RT look like without a radio?

mx125

I wonder if anyone can tell me what the 12RT dash looks like WITHOUT the radio. Are the speakers covered by more fairing panels, or just speaker screens/covers with blanks behind them?

Also, I have been looking on the boards and it looks like there is no built in headphone jack?? (rediculous IMO) and no standard sattelite radio option.

Also, would you advise getting the "radio prep kit" if I decide against the radio?

Thanks.

I intentionally ordered my RT with neither radio nor prep kit. Why?

If I want music, I'll use an ipod or cell phone, which has an MP3 player. I bought a 1 GB chip for my phone/MP3 player. It holds a lot of music.

If I want radio (which I don't), I'd buy XM.

I'm thinking that CD players will soon be old technology.

Oh, and I like the fairing pocket.

When I bought my RT, the dealer only had them with the radio prep kit, and they adjusted the price so that I got a "free" prep kit. I can only imagine the music quality of BMW's sound system with the music coming through little 4" speakers at 80 mph and wearing a full face helmet; not something I want to pay big $$$ for. XM through an Autocom sounds better and adds lots of versatility for much less money.

I pulled the antenna to clean up the looks of my RT.

My 06 RT has no radio or prep kit. Per your original question, the speaker grills are there so it looks identical to the radio equipped model (can't say what's behind them). An aside, the radio compartment makes for a huge, lockable storage compartment. It's so big I've had to "compartmentalize" it using zip lock bags. For someone who either does not want music (me) or someone opting for one of the alternatives mentioned it's great storage.

Great responses everyone. Answers all my questions. I currently use Sirius w/ eytomic plugs . .so I guess that's the better way.

Thanks.

lawnchairboy

yep, me too, no prep kit, big storage compartment.. XM and Autocom work just fine...

Archived