IGNORED

Fuel Filler Tough to See?

K100Fran

I did a search to see if anyone else experiences this - found some good info like the BoxFlyer vent hole but nothing specifically along the lines of my issue.

The manual states "...continuing until fuel is no higher than the lower edge of filler neck." My problem is I can't see the lower edge of the filler neck! It's typically sunny but the filler is in shadows. I usually shine my iPhone light into the filler but this is a challenge and I have a hard time telling when the fuel reaches the right level. I was thinking about carrying a brighter LED flashlight, but I've never had this issue with any of my past bikes (1982 Yamaha Vision, 1978 R80, and 1992 K100RS) Any suggestions for making my fill ups a bit easier? 

thanks

v/r

Fran

Hi Fran,

I'm wondering if you have measured the amount of gas from lowering the nozzle all the way in and the amount you get if you keep it retracted. I've never done that but am curious.:lurk:

3 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

the amount of gas from lowering the nozzle all the way in and the amount you get if you keep it retracted

I have let it auto fill, then topped it up after it kicked off. My RT takes another gallon and a half to fill.....YMMV

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
39 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

I have let it auto fill, then topped it up after it kicked off. My RT takes another gallon and a half to fill.....YMMV

It’s the second half, after it kicks off and I’m trying to get it to the filler neck, that I have a hard time seeing to know when to stop without overfilling or under filling 😀

• Like 1

Maybe experiment with different small flashlights that would be easy to use while fueling, maybe a small magnetic one to stick right on the handle? Just don't drop it into the tank.

A wrist mounted light that is normally used on the forehead?

Sounds like a pia, but it seems to be an issue seeing the fuel level. I have not had that problem so no experience dealing with it.

I am only filling the tank at the start of a ride and I over fill, have the fuel halfway up the neck -  of course, I never read the manual about how to fill the tank 🙃 

20 hours ago, K100Fran said:

...found some good info like the BoxFlyer vent hole but nothing specifically along the lines of my issue....

Actually, I think this IS your issue.  Let me explain.  When you make the BoxFlyer mod, you get a side benefit.  As you fill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck, the air will start to exhaust from the hole that you drilled in the upper neck.  This will become obvious as you watch the fuel going in.  And when the tank is almost full, the jet of air from the exhaust hole will transform to a jet of bubbles and fuel.  That is your signal to stop filling.

Enjoy your extra half gallon of Brad-gas.

Cap

• Thinking 1
2 hours ago, Cap said:

Actually, I think this IS your issue.  Let me explain.  When you make the BoxFlyer mod, you get a side benefit.  As you fill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck, the air will start to exhaust from the hole that you drilled in the upper neck.  This will become obvious as you watch the fuel going in.  And when the tank is almost full, the jet of air from the exhaust hole will transform to a jet of bubbles and fuel.  That is your signal to stop filling.

Enjoy your extra half gallon of Brad-gas.

Cap

That makes BoxFlyer’s mod much more interesting and a higher priority. I guess I have another winter project!

I have drilled/slotted the tank fill tube in both of my RT's. 20-30 miles of extra range. I know this displeases the BMW Gods and followers. There is a chance you could push liquid into the carbon evap canister. 

I have never had a problem with that. 

You do NOT want to fill the bike completely and park it. Heat from the engine will push out fuel. Heat from the sun can too. So only fill to the top when going to ride quite a few miles before parking. 

• Like 4
On 10/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, realshelby said:

I have drilled/slotted the tank fill tube in both of my RT's. 20-30 miles of extra range. I know this displeases the BMW Gods and followers. There is a chance you could push liquid into the carbon evap canister. 

I have never had a problem with that. 

You do NOT want to fill the bike completely and park it. Heat from the engine will push out fuel. Heat from the sun can too. So only fill to the top when going to ride quite a few miles before parking. 

Morning realshelby

"You do NOT want to fill the bike completely and park it. Heat from the engine will push out fuel. Heat from the sun can too. So only fill to the top when going to ride quite a few miles before parking". 

This is the important thing to keep in mind (& reason BMW says to not fill above bottom of filler neck). While I haven't found any plugged Evap cans on the wetheads yet I have seen/found a number of failed/plugged Evap cans on the  BMW 1200 hexhead & camhead bikes.

The common failure contributor on those bikes "seems" to be related to  the owners were classic over-fillers with a number of the failed Evap cans showing up after storage.

Bottom line seems to be-- If a rider over-fills then ride off that first 3/4 of a gallon before parking or storage, especially if cool fuel is added then the vehicle parked in the hot sun or parked with elevated engine & fuel tank temps. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

The common failure contributor on those bikes "seems" to be related to  the owners were classic over-fillers with a number of the failed Evap cans showing up after storge.

+1  :dopeslap:

Somehow, I missed the significance of overfillling a gas tank on a vehicle with the emissions carbon cannister thingys, until I did it to my 2014 Ford Edge and picked up a code.  After hooking up a diagnostic monitor and decoding the number, and root cause, I read enough to have that "Oh! Ahah!" moment.  I'm sure I always overfilled my last RT.  Won't do it again, to the new one.  I also wouldn't risk Brad's mod, possibly damaging the BMW's emission system by accidentally overfilling and incurring bookooo $$$, angst, and repair hassles, but that's just me.   I want to ride more, work on my bike less, and I'm getting old and crotchety about things. 

(Of course, for those on long trips and tired of stopping for gas, I don't blame them for trying to get a little more range.  In my case, certain physical infirmities make stopping every couple of hours mandatory anyway, so an extra fill-up wouldn't be an issue for  me.)  🙄

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
BABABeemer

Does anyone have a link to the Boxflyer fuel tank mod? I can’t figure out how to use the Forum Search function.

duckbubbles

I have modified the filler neck on several wetheads.  But I never fill the tank and park it.  I fill at the beginning of the ride and don't refill unless I need to on the road somewhere.  Otherwise when I am done I leave it at whatever fuel level I finish the ride with.  Mod ups the useable fuel capacity and range a half gallon or more.  

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
old_farmer

One of my biggest gripes about refueling is that it tends to spray gas back at me when filling. I don't need to pump in another half gallon of gas, but does Brad's mod reduce the amount of spraying back while filling?