IGNORED

Crankcase Paint.

Our Gee

Hello all,

during my upcoming winter maintenance regime I would like to tidy up the paint finish on my Camhead RT Crankcase. The area around the front (near the un-used bolt hole) has been peppered with road muck is is unsightly. Please can anyone recommend which paint would be suitable. There are various heat resistant paint out there but a recommendation would be great. I would prefer a brush application and a "silk" not gloss finish.

Many Thanks.

I use satin black bbq grill paint in a spray can.  I spray the paint into the the cap then use a water color brush and paint it on the cases, center stand, etc.  The paint is very thin but covers well and is easy to work with.  Sometimes additional coats are needed but it's easy to build up the coverage.  Makes the rock chips/sand blasting disappear.  BTW, a fender extender on the front fender makes a huge difference and then the only thing that needs touch up paint is the centerstand.

Stove/BBQ paint works well. I don't know if BMW sells engine paint, but Harley sells wrinkle black engine paint that is very good. Stove black paint comes in gloss, satin, flat.

Like Bruce, I spray it into the cap and use a brush for touch up, or might do a quick tape mask off and spray an area.

Many thanks for the info, I did fit a Fender Extender when I acquired my bike which had already travelled 12,000 miles so some of the damage was already done. I have also fabricated a rubber "Flap" which I secured to the two unused threaded holes at the rear of the Crankcase. This keeps most the the road muck off the Centre Stand.

Thanks Again..