IGNORED

Is this the stock windscreen? (2018 R1200RT)

Scott9999

2018 R1200RT.jfif2018 R1200RT.jfifRT_front_02.jfifJust picked up my new (to me) 2018 R1200RT from the loading dock.   There were a few surprises (e.g. nasty scratch on the front fender that might have happened during shipping, or by previous owner, I didn't catch it during inspection, will fix it this winter), and a few things I more or less expected, buying the bike sign unseen.  The last RT I owned was a 2005 hexhead, and I probably had an aftermarket screen on that also.

The screen on this bike (full down mode) looks awfully small for a stocker.  I know that on previous models, there were aftermarket "summer" screens available, i.e. deliberately cut short to get more air over the stop.  Is this one of those, or is this the way all stock screens look.  For one thing, it's cut in a fairly oval curve across the top, while some BMW Motorrad screens in advertisements have a slightly "V" or "U" at the top, and look taller.

I've attached three images.  The White RT is from BMW Motorrad pictures.  The black/red RT is the one I just took delivery on.  See the differences in the wind screens.

Thanks.

(Edit: Sorry, but the other two Motorrad stock pictures aren't showing up here. I'll try a link.)

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.485IuVAObG4oKbqm9DUTBgHaFC%26pid%3DApi&f=1

R1200RT_Front.jpg

RT_front_02.jfif 2018 R1200RT.jfif

From reading/looking around, my bike may have the BMW sport screen which was released with the 2018 Mars Red bike package.  Though it might work out for summer and/or desert riding, I'm definitely going to want something with more protection.  I had a Cee Bailey tall screen on one of my previous bikes, and while it was quiet, it was just too protective in the Southern California climate (where I once lived).   I'll probably look at picking up a stocker for now, and try that.  (I'm 6'2" tall).

Anyone know anything about a "Puig Touring Screen"?

If I recall, the 2018 RT came in two versions. Looks like you have the sport version (which I have). Not sure how the models differ except the windshield is a lot smaller on the sport. I replaced it with a Werks which was a good choice for Michigan's three season riding.

MB

4 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

If I recall, the 2018 RT came in two versions. Looks like you have the sport version (which I have). Not sure how the models differ except the windshield is a lot smaller on the sport. I replaced it with a Werks which was a good choice for Michigan's three season riding.

MB

I'm just afraid that I'll have the same issue as I had with the old Cee Baily screen with the flip on my old R1100RT (i.e. they were among the pioneers of screens with superior air flow).  I was at times standing on the pegs in the heat to try get some relief, even with the screen in the "full down" position.   A lot of the early reviews of the 2014 R1200RT commented on how well the stock screen worked.  I kind of wanted to try that before going with Werks (though, it's saved in my accessories list, for sure).

Of course, here in N. Idaho, the heat index issue is a bit different than back in So Cal.   I'm just gonna have to spend some $$$ and try out the alternatives (and, look for used screens to reduce the $$$ risk).

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

From reading/looking around, my bike may have the BMW sport screen which was released with the 2018 Mars Red bike package.  Though it might work out for summer and/or desert riding, I'm definitely going to want something with more protection.  I had a Cee Bailey tall screen on one of my previous bikes, and while it was quiet, it was just too protective in the Southern California climate (where I once lived).   I'll probably look at picking up a stocker for now, and try that.  (I'm 6'2" tall).

I got one I pulled from my 2014 RT. Has about 9K on it. You can have it. DM me.

Michael

1 minute ago, NumbHands said:

I got one I pulled from my 2014 RT. Has about 9K on it. You can have it. DM me.

Michael

My bad. Pls ignore. Wrong info. Windshield i have is for an older RT. Sorry.

Michael

Yes, that is the stock Sport Screen that would have come on the 2018 Mars Red bike.

I have a sport screen that I picked up second hand, along with the normal stock version that came with my bike, and then a Werks Quiet Ride.

I use the Werks Quiet ride most of the time, but in the hottest part of the summer when it is 110 degrees where I live, I pop on that sport screen for a few weeks.  I never use the screen that came with my bike, it is the worst of both worlds... little air flow and lots of buffeting of my helmet.

26 minutes ago, NumbHands said:

My bad. Pls ignore. Wrong info. Windshield i have is for an older RT. Sorry.

Michael

It's the thought that counts!  👍

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

Yes, that is the stock Sport Screen that would have come on the 2018 Mars Red bike.

I have a sport screen that I picked up second hand, along with the normal stock version that came with my bike, and then a Werks Quiet Ride.

I use the Werks Quiet ride most of the time, but in the hottest part of the summer when it is 110 degrees where I live, I pop on that sport screen for a few weeks.  I never use the screen that came with my bike, it is the worst of both worlds... little air flow and lots of buffeting of my helmet.

Lol, well I'm pig-headed-stubborn, so I picked up a full sized stocker to give it a try, before I go to the universally acclaimed Werks screen.

I don't really see myself using the sport screen, not just because I'm up here in the Northwest, but because I'm both a bit lazy and somewhat a minimalist.  I'd just like a good compromise.  I'll probably sell it off at some point.

I would go with the Werks screen. When it gets real hot I put the stock one back on but all other times I use the werks.  have tested 3 different screens and also with a passenger on the back. The Werks was the best. There is one for sale in the classifieds on this site :4322:

3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Not to hijack but does anyone know what was different about the sport model than the so called standard RT?

Don't know if you can tell from the picture (i.e. I've already got the bike tucked into it's winter sleeping spot), but the sport screen is cut almost like a concentric circle from side to side, whereas the stocker is (i believe) at least six inches higher, and flairs a bit at the corners.

sport_screen.jpg

18 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Not to hijack but does anyone know what was different about the sport model than the so called standard RT?

Aside from the windscreen, I think that there were color changes to things like the engine, wheels, swingarm, etc.... all were darker.  Not sure if they were all the same color/black.  Also the decals on that went with the Mars Red on the paintwork.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:51 AM, alegerlotz said:

Aside from the windscreen, I think that there were color changes to things like the engine, wheels, swingarm, etc.... all were darker.  Not sure if they were all the same color/black.  Also the decals on that went with the Mars Red on the paintwork.

Yep, the sport model was "Mars Red/Black" so there were a lot of black details.

In researching this purchase, particularly focusing on what came with the "Premium" (or LC in the UK) model, I focused on their "option information" (OI) manifest.  Initially, it was so much gobbledygook, without a clear legend available from BMW to decode these options.  Eventually, I figured most of this info out.   Code 0560 is the Sport Screen, which means it was installed as part of the bike's package (not added later), which if I had understood sooner, I could have skipped this entire posted question.🙄  Code 0568 refers to black engine paint, to go with the Mars Red/Black model motif.    Code 0861 "Style 1" might be the MARS RED sports package with black accents and pin stripping - just a guess.  

(I was actually considering trying to tie together what I learned about RT packages and option codes, into a separate post.  I discovered that many of the RT's advertised as "Premium" in fact, only included one or two additional packages, but not all of them.  Mine appears to have nearly all, if not all optional packages.  The only way I could tell for certain was by looking up other advertised "Premium" bikes by VIN, and some that I was pretty sure were in fact, the loaded models, and reviewing the OI list.  Then I read reviews and blog posts to understand what each item was.  Considering both initial and add-on costs of these accessories, the 'Premium" package - and actually having it on the bike, was a pretty big deal to me.  This bike wasn't advertised as "Premium", which why I kept coming back to it.  When I asked the dealer, they seemed to have no idea what this model included.  Some codes are unique to certain models, i.e. the MARS RED sports package in this case, and other color motifs for other models.  Some codes seem to be standard for all of the RT's, i.e. I don't think any totally stripped down RT's were sold in the USA.)

OptionInfoPg1.JPG

OptionInfoPg2.JPG

Interesting Scott. After reading the options, I realize that I stumbled into a pretty good deal. My dealer who I have been working with for more than 20 years called me in 2018 as he wanted to sell a few leftover RT's. He offered me a very good trade in price for my 2002 and 2012 RT's. I looked over what was in inventory and liked the red a lot. Little did I know at the time that it was loaded with everything on that chart you attached. I was surprised when I picked it up and drove it 70 miles south how that small windshield beat the crap out of me. So that was changed immediately. I love the bike very much. I did Farkle it a bit but it could have been fine the way it came.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

MB 

• Like 1
On 10/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Scott9999 said:

I think we are talking Pre-Waterhead bikes since Cee Bailey was out of the motorcycle windshield business prior to the introduction of the Wethead RT.   The CB Euro cut they offered got around that lack of air issue, and if that wasn't enough their summer shorty screen would get you a good blast of fresh air.  I had purchased one of their barn door screens and it was great after October when I insisted on riding until ice covered the roads.  I bought the Euro cut version for the same reason, not enough airflow on warm days with the barn door screen. The Wethead fairing certainly provides more protection VS the Oilhead and the dimensions of an aftermarket windscreen for a Wethead probably is best left similar to the OEM unit for width and adding some height for taller riders

On 10/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, MichiganBob said:

I was surprised when I picked it up and drove it 70 miles south how that small windshield beat the crap out of me. So that was changed immediately.

Lol! I pretty much knew that screen probably wouldn't work here in Northern Idaho, but it LOOKED cool, and I could see how it might work OK in the full up position.  After my trip around the lake in 50F degree weather, it was "nope, this ain't gonna cut it".  🤣🤣🤣   Bought a stock replacement the very next day.  Funny, wind never bothered be a bit riding dirt bikes 70 MPH flat out across the desert in winter, but when I'm riding on the street, I just don't like wind over the top of the bike.

Looking at the bike in the garage every day is kind of tough (it's killing me).  It was nice enough the last couple of days, but I'm been rushing to get some pre-winter prep done around the house.  Plus, as I've mentioned in several posts, I don't have body armor, and just don't want to ride much without it.  I bought it early, knowing it would be stored for the winter.  Intellectually, that was a good decision.  Emotionally ...ah... it kinda sucks.  😒  Just gotta wait for that "Christmas morning" feeling in say, maybe April.  😁🍻

I think I'll grow to love this bike too, eventually.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, Scott9999 said:

I have a Puig!  Love It! 

Please play this:

• 1 month later...