IGNORED

Changed my mind: WTB 2007-09 1200RT

2015 Blue RT

I joined here WTB a 2004 1150RS, but in the process I read and learned a lot about the various 1150-1200 models. I have now decided to look for a 2007-09 1200RT. Thanks to all that helped in my 1150RS thread! I figured a new thread would better reflect what I'm looking for.

I'm in the SE USA, but realize the ideal bike is not likely nearby so I have to factor shipping into my $5K budget (estimated $800 PNW, about the same for California, $700 west, $550 NE). Here are my preferences:

1. Really like the Biaritz blue color! Not sure what other colors are available, red would be #2 choice, then black or gray. Don't care for silver or beige.

2. Don't want ESA if possible.

3. Top case a plus. I don't plan on using bags for my daily ride.

4. I would consider an RT-P, but don't really know enough about what all is involved with them to convert for daily use. AFAIK, main issues are police wiring and no cruise control.

5. How many miles are too many? Perusing ads, it seems like my budget should allow for a <50K mile bike.

6. I'm very definite on the year selection. The 2007-09 looks to be the easiest to maintain.

Thanks for any additional help or advice.

LOL, that's the third time that bike has been posted. The PA bike is my color & only $500 more (ask). I have sent an inquiry. I really don't like dealing w/ dealers based upon past experiences. At least it wasn't listed as "call for price". :) I see now it does not have a top case. I'll have to see if it has ESA.

I'll be glad to PP you a donation for all of your advice once I buy one!

• Haha 1

Some dealers are very motivated to sell. If all the recalls have been performed, it's freshly serviced and they give you a reasonable warranty it might not be to bad of a deal.

Well I hope so. I have not had much luck with dealers in my lifetime of buying vehicles. Then again, the last new car I bought was in 2008. All of my bikes have been private party sales.

The blue 2009 shown above does not have ESA, but does have the Onboard computer.  No radio or radio prep either.  It does have cruise control.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like what I'm looking for. How can you tell how it is equipped? I ran some VIN decoders and none gave me that info.

One thing to be aware of.... 

Is this a 'Low Supension' model?

It does have a one piece 'low' seat.

Has several Ram and GPS mounts.

Has Ztechnik cylinder guards (good guards)

24K service is due??

Great Color!

Quirks...

Known Fuel Strip. My 09 has been through 3 of them.  One of them happened in the dealers parking lot after they did #2.

Fuel pump, fuel pump flange.

Rear brake rotor flange mount.

Notorious for burning out low beam bulbs, and they are a Royal PITA to change unless you have the ambidexterity of a surgeon and munchkin hands.

Thanks, I'll have to ask the dealer about the seat and if it has been serviced.

Is it possible to swap in a float vs the strip? (see below)

I have been using mid range (bulbfacts.com) LED bulbs in my bikes and cars for the past 3+ years with really good results. I'd plan on doing the same here.

I found this YT video from a 2008 1200GS where the strip was converted to a float:

I saw that one. My original RS idea didn't take into account the forward lean on them. That one is silver to boot. 🙁

If I were to go in a different direction, on ADV Rider there is a 2015 1200RTP for <$3800. I think it has like 60k miles. The seller is in CA and it has an open FL title (not a problem for me). I looked into maintenance on it and as an example you have to pull cams to set valve clearance. Then there is the liquid cooling. What are your thoughts on that vs the Blue 09 RT in PA? I have not heard back from the dealer yet.

Just got a call from a dealer in Michigan. 07 blue, 66k miles, no esa, has cruise. $4999.

Shipped @ asking prices, the 09 is about $6k, the 07 about $5500 and the 15 RTP about $4550.

I read a comparison between camheads and wetheads. I learned the latter has an electronic throttle ☹️. I'm tempted to buy that one, ride it a while and then flip it.

The Liquid Cooled RT’s are next level perfection in sport touring IMO. Saying that doesn’t mean the older bikes don’t have their own charm.

Pulling cams to adjust valve clearance sounds like bad info to me. Boxflyer just did a tech day at one of the rallies and somebody might be able to confirm that.

The scary part with the LC bikes is an alternator failure. It’s buried deep inside the engine which requires a lot of skill or a lot of money to replace. It’s a very rare failure rate so you’ve got that to lean on.

A glamour shot of my RT.

DB67083C-8744-43EC-B857-C829576DE8E2.jpeg

37 minutes ago, RT_Shopper said:

Shipped @ asking prices, the 09 is about $6k, the 07 about $5500 and the 15 RTP about $4550.

Paging Ken Delong.  Ken has had several RTPs and can give you the lowdown.

When I  was looking 10 years ago I recall the 'Low' version generally came with NO ESA.  The PA bike at  is a 'Low' version and has a Low style seat.

43 minutes ago, RT_Shopper said:

I'm over 6 feet tall. Would the low seat be an operating or comfort issue?

You would be a bit crouched, particularly with a Low seat. And definitely  on longer rides.

Swap the seat for a standard and install a peg lowering kit for for leg length. 

I'm not 100% certain about the seat thing, you'll need to confirm with a BMW dealer.    

7 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Paging Ken Delong.  Ken has had several RTPs and can give you the lowdown.

Thanks. I'll look him up & message him. After texting the seller, the 2015 on the other site is sounding sketchy, so I'm not going to pursue it. I'll get his take on it though.

Here's the 2015 RT-P post on the other site:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-r1200rt-police-2015-in-ventura-ca-price-drop-3800.1513472/

The seller (who sent me a picture of the title, that seemed legit, as did the fact he's been a member there since 2012- 2 years less than me) never transferred the Florida title to CA. He said it would cost 9% tax to do so. I offered to cover that so long as the deal went through escrow.com (protects seller and buyer from fraud) and I'd cover the cost of transport via uship. He asked for cash, so in addition to the low price, that was a big red flag. He's probably legit, but I'm not going to send almost $4K to someone 2K miles away w/o some type of buyer protection.

IMHO RT-P bikes are maintained ok by the municipality or local dealer but they are ridden hard.  So, that's a hard 65K on the odometer.

My .02 suggestion is keep your sale East of the Mississippi and to private sales (If you don't like dealers). Be patient... it will happen. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, RT_Shopper said:

If I were to go in a different direction, on ADV Rider there is a 2015 1200RTP for <$3800. I think it has like 60k miles. The seller is in CA and it has an open FL title (not a problem for me). 

Be careful with the shinny little thingys.  I purchased a 2003 R1100RT-P for my first "return to street riding" bike, and had a lot of fun with it.  It had 48K on the clock when I bought it.  I had fun trying to figure out how to unwind all the RT-P electrical wiring.   Then after 4-5K miles, I had fun splitting the bike, pulling the tranny, sending it to RubberChickenGarage in PA where he did an awesome job rebuilding it, shifted like butter afterwards, for about 1/2 of BMW's price (using some used parts), and then replacing the clutch, most of the bearings, except the engine and final drive, they were fine.  I had loads of fun working on that bike for a year, and riding it for maybe another  year.  

I was watching a police training video with some Oregon state police guys, and the youtube host allowed that he was running an 2019 or 2020 RT-P, had something like 30K or 40K miles on it, and except for replacing the clutch at 20K, it had been a good mount.  I haven't studied up on replacing a wet clutch, but since the engine and clutch share the same oil supply, I'm guessing that it requires splitting the bike, and some engine work, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, if you're up for an adventure, RT-P's can be loads of fun.  It all depends on how you define that word, "fun".  (Oh, yeah, and how much cash you have in the bank when you try to stretch it to cover $4K to $6K repairs, doing much of the work yourself to reduce expenses.)  

Not every civilian RT-P owner has the same experience as I did, for certain.  But these bikes get worked hard, and you need not to be shocked, if you're in for some work.

7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Might be a moot point, I just looked for the '09 in PA, it's no longer available.

That happens quite a bit. 

It seems that there are more than a few economy-buyers out there ... uhh.. kind of like me!  I thought I was the brilliant one, picking 2017-2018's, low miles, premium models, and found about eighteen for sale nationwide in September, perhaps 4-5 of them "Premium" models, some sketchy (e.g. like the private party owners selling identical bikes in the same town, for two prices $5K difference ... the only thing I wasn't sure about was whether they were from Nigeria or not).  🤣  Seriously, the OP wants to stay away from dealers, and I don't blame him one bit.  However, not all dealers are the same, and at least you know they actually HAVE the bike they're selling, and usually, there's some warranty with it, so they're not selling you junk.  (Buyer beware, of course, do your homework.).

Anyhow, those 18 bikes quickly became 9 (i.e. a week after I pulled the trigger on a bike), with 2 premium's left that I could find, and one of them I wouldn't touch because it looked like fraud.   It made my decision to go with a dealer, who kept all of his (and hers, sales person was a lady) commitments, and ensured my bike was properly loaded on the shippers crate, quite easy and reassuring.  I have no idea if my decision will pan out, anything's possible (though I paid much higher $$$ and the bikes still under warranty; won't be when I start riding again next spring), but I'm happy with the decision and direction I took.

So, don't delay too much when you find a real deal.   You're not the only guy out there looking with nearly the same criteria.  It the "bargain" remains on the market too long, then it's not.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2021 at 6:11 PM, RT_Shopper said:

Thanks, I'll have to ask the dealer about the seat and if it has been serviced.

Is it possible to swap in a float vs the strip? (see below)

I have been using mid range (bulbfacts.com) LED bulbs in my bikes and cars for the past 3+ years with really good results. I'd plan on doing the same here.

I found this YT video from a 2008 1200GS where the strip was converted to a float:

Every bike (BMW or otherwise) seems to have an Achilles heel.  The nice thing with older bikes, with some mileage on them, and IF they have a complete service history, is most of the bugs have either been worked out, or haven't happened to those particular bikes.  In my own case when I purchased my Wethead last month, there were a couple of things that I spoke with the service  manger about, i.e. premature camshaft/lifter wear, failed alternator, that he assured me were checked during the 12K service.  It's on paper.  That's the best you can really do.  If you're buying private party, talk to the service manager of a local dealer, buy an hour of their time, and have them go through it and advise you of any "red flags".    Then you can either accept the risk,  negotiate the risk with the owner (i.e. lower price, or repairs if immediately necessary), or assume the risk yourself.

I wouldn't run away from any particular bike and/or model because of some boogieman that potentially lurks beneath.   Just do the due diligence.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

That happens quite a bit. 

It seems that there are more than a few economy-buyers out there ... uhh.. kind of like me!  I thought I was the brilliant one, picking 2017-2018's, low miles, premium models, and found about eighteen for sale nationwide in September, perhaps 4-5 of them "Premium" models, some sketchy (e.g. like the private party owners selling identical bikes in the same town, for two prices $5K difference ... the only thing I wasn't sure about was whether they were from Nigeria or not).  🤣  Seriously, the OP wants to stay away from dealers, and I don't blame him one bit.  However, not all dealers are the same, and at least you know they actually HAVE the bike they're selling, and usually, there's some warranty with it, so they're not selling you junk.  (Buyer beware, of course, do your homework.).

Anyhow, those 18 bikes quickly became 9 (i.e. a week after I pulled the trigger on a bike), with 2 premium's left that I could find, and one of them I wouldn't touch because it looked like fraud.   It made my decision to go with a dealer, who kept all of his (and hers, sales person was a lady) commitments, and ensured my bike was properly loaded on the shippers crate, quite easy and reassuring.  I have no idea if my decision will pan out, anything's possible (though I paid much higher $$$ and the bikes still under warranty; won't be when I start riding again next spring), but I'm happy with the decision and direction I took.

So, don't delay too much when you find a real deal.   You're not the only guy out there looking with nearly the same criteria.  It the "bargain" remains on the market too long, then it's not.

A clutch job on a hex/cam head bothers me, the sole blue bikes now are either a 2007 at a Michigan dealer or a 2008 private sale in Colorado, both w/ over 60K and asking $5K. That mileage from what I've read is around the service life of the OEM clutch. I've seen a couple of really low mile examples for around $9K, but I just can't spend that much.

In my course of reading about the 2015 RT-P, BMW advertised how the wet clutch setup on them was far easier to service. Here's the link, and I'll excerpt the relevant part:

https://www.officer.com/vehicles-fleet/vehicles-equipment/product/11586200/bmw-motorrad-usa-police-motors-r-1200-rtp-2015-model

New easy-access multi-plate self-energizing wet clutch...

The 2015 R 1200 RT-P is a completely new police motor development from BMW. The new RT-P gains the fabulous new boxer air / water-cooled engine producing 125 bhp and 92 lb/ft of torque. The easily accessible self-energized multi-plate wet clutch has reduced lever pull with a wide “grey” area. The new clutch system can now be changed in about an hour, accessible from the front of the engine case, thereby minimizing periodic maintenance costs.

I appreciate your buying advice. I try to contact a seller ASAP when I see a bike of interest, but times being what they are most are understandably hesitant to sell to someone hundred/thousands of miles away they don't know. At the same time I'm not going to rush into anything. When looking for a specific model, in my experience it usually involves distance buying. I bought my current GSX from the Midwest on a CL ad in 2012, and 2 years before that bought a GS1000 from Colorado with the help of a forum member that was local to the seller (inspection and payment). Prior to that, I bought a fairly unique Dodge from the PNW after calling & talking to the seller. I used uship to transport all of these. Still have all 3! I have faith the right bike will turn up at the right time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I haven't studied up on replacing a wet clutch, but since the engine and clutch share the same oil supply, I'm guessing that it requires splitting the bike, and some engine work, but I could be wrong.

No "splitting the bike required"fairly straightforward and definitely less involved than the older dry clutch models at least that's what I remember from a post on the issue from a few years back. 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:23 PM, RT_Shopper said:

First candidate, 2009 blue w/ 23K miles in PA (shipping estimate around $400) for $5,499 ask at a dealer:

https://www.velocitycycle.net/Pre-owned-Inventory-2009-BMW-Motorcycle-Scooter-R-1200-RT-Velocity-Cycles-11222971

D3D80DEB-BD28-4DC4-BB9A-15CAEC87D830.jpg

Conventional wisdom indicated this had been sold as the dealer never replied & it was removed from their website. I got an email tonight from them tonight (around 10 PM, weird) that it had a problem w/ the side stand and they took it off the site until it was repaired. What's cool about the message was the reason why it needs a bolt: They removed it for a passing through rider/customer that needed one.

I also have a lead on a local 2007 blue RT, will go look at it tomorrow.

I8QOwuC.jpg

8KfaUzR.jpg

I'd be remiss for not adding this one, a 2015 black RT w/ 87K miles in the PNW (where else? :)) for only $6K. The post seems fishy, another member here looked a the pics and it is an Arizona tag. Thinking it over, the rock landscaping looks like Arizona as well. I emailed the link on the ad but no response as yet:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/d/klamath-falls-2015-bmw-r1200rt/7390053142.html

01010_anWiDRPezROz_0CI0lN_1200x900.jpg

I didn't follow up on that one. I have heard from the 2015 seller & looped you in on my conversation with a local member from that area that said he could check it out for me. As I continue to learn about these bikes, the 2014+ is offsetting some of my concern over having a liquid cooled bike.

Let me chime in here with some thoughts.

As for the clutch life for a HexHead, my 2007 HexHead, I had 180K+ miles on the original clutch. No problems from the clutch, the new owner changed the rear seal and transmission (leaking balance shaft seal and transmission input bearing) and reused the same clutch. 

The current WetHeads have a huge problem with burning up tires and fuel. That is most likely due to electric throttles and excess computers. Fuel and tire consumption is somehow tied to operator mood and happiness. Very confusing and difficult to adjust.:bike:

PS, this whole thread should be moved to a different section and would most likely get better responses and more insight from other members.

• Like 1

After a lot of research and reading plus advice from members here, I am buying the 2015 RT in Oregon. Not sure how to update the title since I'm no longer shopping.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 2015 Black RT said:

After a lot of research and reading plus advice from members here, I am buying the 2015 RT in Oregon. Not sure how to update the title since I'm no longer shopping.

Congrats!  :thumbsup:

Will you be doing a fly and ride back home?

No need to update this purchase thread. Post a picture or two in motorcycle talk with a brief introduction and you’re officially in! :classic_biggrin: :thumbsup: Again, you are going to be pleasantly surprised with this motorcycle! :clap:

9 hours ago, LBump said:

I looked into it but it's just not feasible.

9 hours ago, LBump said:

I’ve been trying - gently - to talk him into it as well, but he has all these silly* reasons it won’t work. One day in January he’s going to be at work having a crap day and think, damn it - should’ve done that!

;)

*logical