IGNORED

paddle turn signals?

Andre1150

I just purchased a '16 R1200RS which is an amazing ride and so much fun. However, after ten years of riding with an 1150RT, I'm still instinctively looking for the RT style turn paddles. And the ridiculously tiny turn signals on the RS that mimic my old '78 nighthawk are too far over on the switch pod for my thumb to hit efficiently. It's giving me fits, especially when it's critical that I signal quickly. Has anyone modded their handlebars to bring the RT style paddles? Can I swap my ends with a newer RTs turn paddles? 

Good luck. I had a 99 RT and never adjusted to that layout. My biggest issue was the weird lift of the right thumb to cancel. I like the layout of my 17 somewhat better, although the best is on my 04 Sportster. Separate controls left and right. Just push button again to cancel. And self-cancel duration that is usually "just right" for my usage.

It’s funny what gets burned into your brain cells. My first BMW (a ‘99 RT) showed up after a few decades of riding with “conventional” switchgear, and I never quite adapted. When I got my 2014, it was actually a relief to go back to the rest-of-the-world setup. I did, however, really like the ability to switch on the four-way flashers without having to remove a hand from the grips. 

I liked the old set up much better, but journalists always panned them in magazine articles much like Consumer Reports called my SAAB ignition quirky (damn I miss that car!). It took a couple months to get used to the new switch along with the occasional accidental horn beep, but like everything we adapt. 

I go between a 2012 GS and a 2014 RT and the confusion gets deep. :spittake: No, I’m kidding, it’s something I enjoy doing (riding different bikes) so my brain accepts and has adapted to the difference in operation. :dontknow: I wish all the world’s problems could be this simple to solve. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I got used to the switch pretty quickly on my '15 GSA, and much prefer it to the two-paddle setup.  Maybe just give it more time?

Haha, I had to get used to the Hawgly-esq paddles on my '99RT as my first BMW, a '71 R75/5, had a single switch for turn indicators; although if you would push to cancel you get the horn!  And, of course the Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes I owned always had the now industry standard single switch  turn signal layout found on the Wetheads.  I always wondered why BMW would waste so much handlebar switch gear real estate on the control of  just the turn signals.  It took a little getting used to the whizzy wheel on my '15 RT, but that approach is way better than the mo-farkels, = mo-buttons approach you find on a lot of touring bikes.

Have had both styles over the years and for me it was just an adjustment. I think each style has its benefits and drawbacks, but nothing one can't learn.                           

My thumb doesn't reach the signal indicator over the silly jog wheel. If I wire up push switches I wonder if I'll need to dig into the CANBUS to do that?

Anyhow... I'll just get used to it.

7 minutes ago, Andre1150 said:

My thumb doesn't reach the signal indicator over the silly jog wheel. If I wire up push switches I wonder if I'll need to dig into the CANBUS to do that?

Anyhow... I'll just get used to it.

Afternoon  Andre1150

No, not the CanBus as that has nothing to do with the switching but you will have to re-program the ZFE to understand the new independent switches inputs (that will be just about  impossible to do yourself or even have a dealer do it), possibly a very experienced  Russian hacker could do it (maybe). 

• Haha 1

This one's easy for me.  I last rode my last RT about 2015.  I just picked up my 2018 RT last Thursday, and still haven't gotten things together to ride it yet (funny what kinda stuff gets thrown away during moving, like I have all my inner liners to my body armor, but the coat and pants are gone; least I still have a couple helmets, which of course are expired, gloves, and a pair of boots I didn't recall having.):4316:

But I digress ....

I have no freakin' clue where ANYTHING is on this complicated wethead, much less the turn signals, but heh-heh, I intend to find out pretty soon. 😁🍻   I'm assuming that muscle memory will take over after 15 or 20 minutes, but I'm gonna behave as a rookie rider for a while.   

So, there's your solution.  Stop riding for 6 years, and you won't miss those paddle turn signals. 😏  (You'll be happy just to have any turn signals sitting in your driveway!)

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ha. Yes. I feel like I'm relearning a new video game. I'm just getting used to the damn high beams up on the front of the switch pod (but they only turn the high beams on momentarily with my left index finger)

And why why why do some of the more prominent buttons on the top, rear liked the trip, display .. You barely need more than once or twice. 

I finally got used to push button start.. not bad for an old guy who likes using keys.  Anyhoo..

• Like 1

If my wife accidentally bumps one of the buttons on the steering wheel in her car, I have to go figure out what's up and get it back to normal. She misses keys too!