IGNORED

Brake Lines leak (possible?)

FreeSparrow

Hello. I wonder if anybody may have any idea about the issue with my B1150RT. I just bough it a few days ago.

About 2 - 3 minutes after I started the engine, I noticed a leak from a general front area. It appears like brake fluid or clutch fluid. The odd thing is that, despite the large quantities of fluid spilled,

I was not able to identify the source of the leak. The brake lines appear dry, the front shock absorber it dry too. The fluid drips from somewhere onto the front exhaust pipes.

Since I'm a newbie to the BMW bikes, I would appreciate any help.

Any idea what it may be.

On the same topic, does anybody by any chance know a good independent BMW mechanic in the Newport News / Hampton / Virginia Beach?

Thank you,

Avi.

20211017_101103[1].jpg

20211017_101113[1].jpg

20211017_101134[1].jpg

20211017_101113[1].jpg

21 minutes ago, FreeSparrow said:

Hello. I wonder if anybody may have any idea about the issue with my B1150RT. I just bough it a few days ago.

About 2 - 3 minutes after I started the engine, I noticed a leak from a general front area. It appears like brake fluid or clutch fluid. The odd thing is that, despite the large quantities of fluid spilled,

I was not able to identify the source of the leak. The brake lines appear dry, the front shock absorber it dry too. The fluid drips from somewhere onto the front exhaust pipes.

Since I'm a newbie to the BMW bikes, I would appreciate any help.

Any idea what it may be.

On the same topic, does anybody by any chance know a good independent BMW mechanic in the Newport News / Hampton / Virginia Beach?

Thank you,

Avi.

Afternoon  FreeSparrow

You need to go up above the leak & look for something leaking, or look along a line, or along a wire harness, or along a frame member for brake fluid following that to the drip point. 

You might have to remove the tupperware (plastic panels) as there is an ABS brake module mounted under the fuel tank & that has 2 pumps & 2 fluid reservoirs full of fluid in it as well a lots of brake lines hooked to it.   

Thank you for the feedback, D.R.

the odd thing is that I was looking up along the wire harness and tried to use all my geometry skills, but was not able to locate the source of the leak.

You may be right, I may need to check the ABS brake module. 

Actually, otherwise the previous owner was the first owner since 2003. He maintained the bike meticulously.

I think that something was damaged during transport from NJ to VA. 

I'll keep lookn'

6 minutes ago, FreeSparrow said:

Thank you for the feedback, D.R.

the odd thing is that I was looking up along the wire harness and tried to use all my geometry skills, but was not able to locate the source of the leak.

You may be right, I may need to check the ABS brake module. 

Actually, otherwise the previous owner was the first owner since 2003. He maintained the bike meticulously.

I think that something was damaged during transport from NJ to VA. 

I'll keep lookn'

Afternoon  FreeSparrow

Are you sure it is brake fluid & not fork fluid, if the motorcycle was strapped down then transported that might have (compressed) & pressurized the forks forcing some fork fluid past the old fork seals.

If it is brake fluid you need to find that & repair it fast as brake fluid will flat out remove & ruin paint.  

Sparrow- Since your riding season is winding down like mine is (Syracuse) you probably should make a brake line replacement part of your winter "to do" list. Maybe put new Stainless lines on and do a MC rebuild, then make sure there are no leaks. Get her ready for a glorious 2022 season. Plus the SS lines look cool. Dave