IGNORED

Vehicle for mountain and desert roads....

Twisties

We have a heavy duty 4wd diesel p/u, but it's too big and the suspension too stiff for really exploring the rocky and muddy mountain and desert roads around here (4-corners/SW Colorado).  Need something street legal that's more nimble, has a better ride on rough roads, and at least about a 200 mile range...  a pair of dual sports fit the bill and are likely in our future, but looking for something with 4 wheels and a cage at the moment...  What should we be looking at?

There is only one, and this is the configuration you want, a roof to keep the sun and rain out but no sides to let nature in. TJ, ‘97-06, 4cyl, 6cyl, auto or stick, mine was a 4cyl stick, the simplest and most basic but perfect for what we were using it for and stupid fun. You just have to dress like your riding a.motorcycle, an Aerostich w/o armor is about perfect.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9fc94e163785fa2d0d137649ce6da79.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14bd7e7917836429252f07160c66c6f3.jpeg

`https://westslope.craigslist.org/d/cars-trucks-by-owner/search/cto?query=wrangler`````

• Like 1
6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

There is only one, and this is the configuration you want, a roof to keep the sun and rain out but no sides to let nature in. TJ, ‘97-06, 4cyl, 6cyl, auto or stick, mine was a 4cyl stick, the simplest and most basic but perfect for what we were using it for and stupid fun. You just have to dress like your riding a.motorcycle, an Aerostich w/o armor is about perfect.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9fc94e163785fa2d0d137649ce6da79.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14bd7e7917836429252f07160c66c6f3.jpeg

`https://westslope.craigslist.org/d/cars-trucks-by-owner/search/cto?query=wrangler`````

I'd stay away from the 97-99 as they have the Dana 35 rear differential, a real weak link,.....you may hear a "pop", check everything out, find nothing apparently wrong, until you start driving and one of those rear axles start walking out,.....then you realize, that pop you heard was the C-clip breaking (which holds the axles in).  I'd go 00-06, with a 6cyl.  It has the Dana 44 rear diff.  As moderate, I'd throw a lunchbox locker (Aussie or Lock-rite) in the rear end,....no need to re-set the gears with that.  Just slide the axles out a bit, drop the spider gears, throw in the locker, put it back together and you'll have three wheel drive at a minimum. 1hr job at most.

A Wrangler is as configurable as you want it with most being simple bolt on parts.  Depending on the trails you plan on hitting, I'd throw a real cage on the the thing, not the "sport cage" that comes with it.  The in a roll or flop, that windshield frame the sport cage is bolted to may not be sufficient.  There are kits you can get to tie into the main frame, then go to the floor and put outriggers under the floorboard, or bring it all the way through and tie it to the frame.

I'd stay away from the 4cyl, while the gears are desirable, the power on the slab (if you need to travel) ain't up to it,......The 4cyl Jeep that I had couldn't maintain interstate speeds in 5th, so, 4th it was.

The other thing, many states are legalizing side x sides for street.  I was behind one here the other day,.....it's an option.

You could also roll with an older Toyota P/U with the bulletproof 22RE engine,......extremely solid vehicle for the trails.

Thanks for the advice on the Jeeps, Bill and Richard.  The side by sides are legal on our county roads, but I have to drive on a state hwy to get to the mountains.  I could trailer it, but that seems like a pita.

5 hours ago, Twisties said:

Thanks for the advice on the Jeeps, Bill and Richard.  The side by sides are legal on our county roads, but I have to drive on a state hwy to get to the mountains.  I could trailer it, but that seems like a pita.

Here in NC, legal on road up to 55mph.....which puts the interstate out of the picture.

5 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Jeep.

There is no substitute.

Just Empty Every Pocket (JEEP),......doubt I'll ever get another one cause that's what I'd end up doing.