Jump to content

R1200RT Twincam Side Case Problem


Our Gee

Recommended Posts

Hello,

The left side Pannier on my bike has a problem in that it is very difficult to push the handle all the way down to lock the Case onto the bike. I have viewed the locking piece as it moves upwards to engage in the plastic receptacle from the opposite side and notice that it is fully seated when there is still about 3/4 of an inch of travel for the handle to fully lock down on top of the case. It is possible to apply pressure to obtain full closure but I'm afraid this will break something. Is there any adjustment available ? Incidentally, with the case removed from the bike operation of the handle is smooth and free. 

Thanks.

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Our Gee said:

Hello,

The left side Pannier on my bike has a problem in that it is very difficult to push the handle all the way down to lock the Case onto the bike. I have viewed the locking piece as it moves upwards to engage in the plastic receptacle from the opposite side and notice that it is fully seated when there is still about 3/4 of an inch of travel for the handle to fully lock down on top of the case. It is possible to apply pressure to obtain full closure but I'm afraid this will break something. Is there any adjustment available ?

Thanks.

Afternoon  Our Gee

 

I'm not sure what your issue is but I think the case attachments are the same as used on the hexhead 1200 bikes.

 

On the back of the case there is a support that moves as you close handle that clamps the case to the bike 

 

If that is too tight (one or two sizes too thick that could cause your problem.  

 

You might try  removing that "L" shaped clamp foot then see if it will close better. Or, see if it will close easier with the case not on the motorcycle.

 

If it does then BMW has a package with different thickness "L" shaped clamp feet so a thinner one in that package might help.

 PN---   46547712002  SET OF CLAMPS WITH BRACKET

 

Personally, I haven't found any that were  too tight from the factory but have found plenty that were too loose & allowed case rattling so  I used a thicker foot to tighten it up & stop the case rattle  (possibly someone at one time tightened yours up to be too tight)

 

side case.png

1200 side case rear.jpg

Link to comment

If the latches are stiff throughout their range of motion, the internal mechanism may simply be dirty.  You should be able to open and close the cases with a single finger.  Disassembly for cleaning and lubricating can be intimidating because the mechanism is a bit complicated. This thread has a lot of pictures that will give an idea of what things look like: https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/22471-bungee-buddy-install-on-r1200rt-cases/

There are several types of screws involved. I recommend using a large scrap of cardboard and sketching the outline of the case on it, so as you remove each screw you can poke a hole in the cardboard and place the screw in the corresponding position. Once the case is open, take LOTS of pictures from several angles, and maybe a slow moving video, so you have a record of how it all fits together. Wipe off the old grease, which is probably full of road grit. Lube all the moving parts with a light grease like white lithium or Sil-Glyde. If you have problems with re-assembly that your pictures can't answer, take apart the other pannier. 

  • Plus 1 1
Link to comment

Many thanks for the replies and valuable info. I have had a quick look and it would appear that the "Clamp Foot" is of the smallest size (being flush with the top of the sliding clamp). With the case off the bike everything moves and operates smoothly and free. As" The Oracle" suggests I will remove the Clamp Foot just to see if that does make any difference.

Thanks again.

Clamp Foot removed, and as I suspected, no difference.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Our Gee said:

Many thanks for the replies and valuable info. I have had a quick look and it would appear that the "Clamp Foot" is of the smallest size (being flush with the top of the sliding clamp). With the case off the bike everything moves and operates smoothly and free. As" The Oracle" suggests I will remove the Clamp Foot just to see if that does make any difference.

Thanks again.

Clamp Foot removed, and as I suspected, no difference.

Morning  Our Gee

 

If the clamp foot removal makes no difference & nothing seems bent or odd on all the case mounting points then you are probably in for some work  cleaning & lubricating the locking mechanism. 

Link to comment

Update and Success Report !!.

Sitting down and looking at the bike's three Side Case mounting location points (Two Upper and one lower) got me to thinking. A few weeks ago I had removed the left side Foot Rest Hanger plate to gain better access to the Clutch Slave Cylinder for flushing and bleeding. There is a certain amount of "free play" inherent in the three mounting screw holes. I loosened off these screws, pushed the Foot Rest Hanger Plate down at the rear and re-tightened the screws. This small (about 2mm) of movement has allowed the Side Case to be positioned slightly lower which in turn has made more space available for the sliding clamp foot to fully engage in the receptacle and for the handle to fully lock down.

Once again, many thanks for the info.

Our Gee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Our Gee said:

Update and Success Report !!.

Sitting down and looking at the bike's three Side Case mounting location points (Two Upper and one lower) got me to thinking. A few weeks ago I had removed the left side Foot Rest Hanger plate to gain better access to the Clutch Slave Cylinder for flushing and bleeding. There is a certain amount of "free play" inherent in the three mounting screw holes. I loosened off these screws, pushed the Foot Rest Hanger Plate down at the rear and re-tightened the screws. This small (about 2mm) of movement has allowed the Side Case to be positioned slightly lower which in turn has made more space available for the sliding clamp foot to fully engage in the receptacle and for the handle to fully lock down.

Once again, many thanks for the info.

Our Gee.

Evening  Our Gee

 

Thanks for the update, we always like to hear of a happy ending. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...