2005 r1200rt front brake issue

burlingtonbeemer

burlingtonbeemer

Hello,  just picked up a used 2005 rt.  when I hit the brake lever coming off a higher speed the front brake seems to pulse, I kind of a get a bump bump bump..

the seller said he just started happening recently.  He changed brake pads, but that did not remedy the situation.  any thoughts?  He said one brake pad was worn 

more than the other three.  not sure where to start, and I was hoping to do it on my own vs. taking to a dealer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

1 hour ago, burlingtonbeemer said:

Hello,  just picked up a used 2005 rt.  when I hit the brake lever coming off a higher speed the front brake seems to pulse, I kind of a get a bump bump bump..

the seller said he just started happening recently.  He changed brake pads, but that did not remedy the situation.  any thoughts?  He said one brake pad was worn 

more than the other three.  not sure where to start, and I was hoping to do it on my own vs. taking to a dealer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

Afternoon John

Lots of thoughts, if you can believe the last owner that it JUST STARTED & the motorcycle sat for quite a while (or sat for while  after being wet or washed) then a good chance your brake rotors have oxidation spots or staining .  You usually can't feel the staining with your fingers & in some cases can't even see it with your eyes. Those stained areas have a different friction coefficient than the other parts of the rotor so every time a brake pad passes over those stained areas under braking you get a pulse feeling. 

There were also some brake rotor attachment updates, brake rotor rivet retro-fit kits,  & even front wheel updates on the 2005 1200RT due to brake pulsation issues.  On some the wheel was not machined correctly at the brake rotor attachment points. 

You can  t-r-y cleaning the front brake rotors using red Scotch pads & brake clean but if the rotor staining is severe enough that sometimes isn't enough to remove the ingrained staining. 

If the brake rotors are good without stained spots then you can remove the front rotors & give them a good work-over with very fine sand paper then Scotch pads. Then set up a dial indicator to read on the front wheel  brake rotor mounting bosses to see if there is excess run-out on those.  (long ago before BMW offered improved front wheels on the 2005 bikes I re-worked a few by hand until the rotor mounting bosses ran true to wheel center). 

Check your messages on this site as I sent you a link to an old  BMW 2005rt brake judder info bulletin. 

8 minutes ago, blalor said:

Any chance the judder thing applies to '07s? I have a similar issue.

Morning  blalor

The wheel problem & rotor rivet kit doesn't apply to the 2007 1200RT but the possible rotor staining does apply. Also a bent brake rotor damaged during a new tire install is also a possibility. 

• Like 1