IGNORED

The Forum Coffee Club

BamaJohn

At 4am central time, the forum is reminding me of the coffee club /old farts at McDonald's all around the country....a handful of usual suspects, sharing a common interest.  Only our meetings are virtual, and a little more adventurous in nature.  So, here's to you guys!  :beer:

• Like 3

My cup at work,....has not been washed since 2010-2011, used everyday I work.......and yes, it's a canteen cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

It’s been rinsed everyday for two weeks, my styrofoam cup has served me well in that time. ;) 

I’m either cheap or environmentally sound. :dontknow:

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

That is an industrial hazard

Perhaps. But if the coffee pot is low or your buddy drains the $^&% thing without making more...

A few ounces of very hot water poured into that will net you a few swallows of a unique coffee experience!

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, realshelby said:

unique coffee experience!

Now that there is funny. It’s Richards work cup because the Mrs won’t even allow that cup in the garage 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mike said:

Well, I’ve been up since 4:00, but a little late signing in here. Cheers!

8F0C8D76-51FF-4ECC-BE6E-EA472D0669F4.jpeg

That log home reminds me of mine.......warm & friendly!

IMG_6156.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

That is an industrial hazard

4 hours ago, realshelby said:

Perhaps. But if the coffee pot is low or your buddy drains the $^&% thing without making more...

A few ounces of very hot water poured into that will net you a few swallows of a unique coffee experience!

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Now that there is funny. It’s Richards work cup because the Mrs won’t even allow that cup in the garage 

Never wash a Gunny's cup!!!

When active, I had a white ceramic cup that was black on the inside.  One of the troops thought it a good idea to "wash" the cup,......good initiative, bad judgement!!!

On multiple days off, I use a single cup at the house, whether that be one day off or two weeks off, the cup will remain in it's designated location until I'm done with it.  No washing, if there's sludge on the bottom (rare), pour more hot joe in there and it'll mix right in.

Wife doesn't get it, but I tell her it's one of the reasons I never get sick!!!  I ingest alot of "yuck"!!

3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

How does that patina taste, Richard??

I'ma sugar and creamer kinda guy, got kinda a sweet tooth, so, yuck coffee always gets better flavor with more sugar and/or creamer!!!!

Nifty timing as this was an article not too long ago.

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2021/06/07/why-sailors-love-a-filthy-unwashed-coffee-mug/

• Like 2

Copy that, Gunny!

When I was a messcook in the wardroom, the Bos'n on our ship would throw you over board if you ever cleaned his mug.   He also had a separate coffee pot for the 2x-strength brew that none of the other officers cared for.  HA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

That log home reminds me of mine.......warm & friendly!

IMG_6156.JPG

You have me totally beat…not a banjo in sight here.

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I'ma sugar and creamer kinda guy, got kinda a sweet tooth, so, yuck coffee always gets better flavor with more sugar and/or creamer!!!!

Me, too.  Not so much the creamer anymore.  

Have you tried this stuff??  Gotta watch that sugar intake!!  Made with stevia with a hint of vanilla.  I carry the little bottle with me while traveling, too.  It even makes Waffle house and gas station coffee taste good.

Got the old AeroPress crankin away this morning.

image.png.d6e89dcbe5f69e91013173d479ad3830.png

• Like 2

I slept in this morning, then drank all my coffee and brought 2 loads of firewood to the porch with the Pioneer, and I'm late.  In my coffee goes a little dollop of homey and a splash of creamer...smooths out each morning.

IMG_6157.JPG

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

I slept in this morning, then drank all my coffee and brought 2 loads of firewood to the porch with the Pioneer, and I'm late.  In my coffee goes a little dollop of homey and a splash of creamer...smooths out each morning.

IMG_6157.JPG

Man,.....you got no grass!!!!!

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Man,.....you got no grass!!!!!

.....good planning, eh?   I started cutting grass at age 10 with a rotary push mower and when I left Colorado in 2006 I swore there'd be no grass to cut when I built this house.  My plan's working so far.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

.....good planning, eh?   I started cutting grass at age 10 with a rotary push mower and when I left Colorado in 2006 I swore there'd be no grass to cut when I built this house.  My plan's working so far.......

Meanwhile, I spend 4-5 hours a week cutting grass,....but all is good, it's my time!!!

I am late to this party. Two denture cleanser tabs + boiling water will remove coffee/tea stains from pretty much anything.

My day starts with 2 cups (~2 oz each) of Turkish coffee. It's similar to espresso, but doesn't need an expensive machine, just a cezve and a heat source.

Copper-Cezve-coffee-pot.jpg.4e8fe387bc97152e1aaf823d6c7f08f8.jpg

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I gotta try that!!  Thanks for the tip, Selden!!

If you get a copper cezve, make sure it is tinned inside, like the one in the photo. You really don't want to be boiling coffee in raw copper. Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi coffee is available on Amazon, or you can go to a coffee roaster and ask them to grind an espresso roast as finely as possible. Some recipes call for bring the coffee to a boil three times. DON'T do it, as this destroys the foam. Bring the coffee almost to a boil, then swirl to reveal the foam. If using an electric stove, turn off the burner and let it slowly begin to bubble, then pour. If using a gas burner, reduce the heat, then pour. Do NOT drink the cup to the bottom — that's where the grounds are, and swallowing coffee mud is not a pleasant experience.

More than you ever wanted to know: https://www.giverecipe.com/turkish-coffee/

• Like 1

Believe it or not, in a previous life I worked at a coffee shop, long before coffee was a thing and a Mr. Coffee was as good as it gets. A real coffee shop, selling whole beans and ground to order, not some "barista" handing out half caf decalf mocha choco something or other to "Bill, you're coffee is ready".. The owner roasted the coffee beans on site, pretty cool process to watch him in action, right in the front window using an antique roaster. I learned all about coffee, different roasts, different countries and the unique characteristics of their beans.

Did I mention that I used to install and service espresso machines in some of the finest restaurants as well? This in the early 80's, again, long before any one knew coffee was a thing.

Seeing your nasty cups and low rent creamers hurts my sensibilities.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
8 hours ago, Selden said:

swallowing coffee mud is not a pleasant experience.

During long days/nights/days/nights of alternating between patrolling and listening posts and rear area guard and patrolling, dipping coffee is not unusual, and by dipping coffee, it's done in the same manner as copenhagen or skoal, a bit between the lip and gum.

So, dipping coffee means that spittin' the juice is not necessary.  :whistle:   Interesting.   

Enjoying coffee in that fashion would require filters in the form of Skoal Bandits.  :dontknow: 

Just sayin'

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

So, dipping coffee means that spittin' the juice is not necessary.  :whistle:   Interesting.   

Enjoying coffee in that fashion would require filters in the form of Skoal Bandits.  :dontknow: 

Just sayin'

Nah, MRE coffee man,....it's just like regular dip when fully soaked, it'll hold in the lip until it disappears,........it's instant coffee, not the good stuff, but the "good enough" stuff.

When I'd make it in the canteen cup, it'd be, two coffees, two creamers, two cocoas and two sugars,......thick, really thick stuff.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Nah, MRE coffee man,....it's just like regular dip when fully soaked, it'll hold in the lip until it disappears,........it's instant coffee, not the good stuff, but the "good enough" stuff.

When I'd make it in the canteen cup, it'd be, two coffees, two creamers, two cocoas and two sugars,......thick, really thick stuff.

Richard: I knew Marines were tough, but DAMN!

• Haha 1

I'm a half hour late for work, got my coffee and first article of attention on is my screen.

Maaaaaannnnnnn I love my job :5188:

BTW, I get here the same time every day ..... late

IMG_3391.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Richard: I knew Marines were tough, but DAMN!

It’s actually quite yuck but you do what ya gotta do

12 hours ago, Selden said:

If you get a copper cezve, make sure it is tinned inside, like the one in the photo. You really don't want to be boiling coffee in raw copper. Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi coffee is available on Amazon, or you can go to a coffee roaster and ask them to grind an espresso roast as finely as possible. Some recipes call for bring the coffee to a boil three times. DON'T do it, as this destroys the foam. Bring the coffee almost to a boil, then swirl to reveal the foam. If using an electric stove, turn off the burner and let it slowly begin to bubble, then pour. If using a gas burner, reduce the heat, then pour. Do NOT drink the cup to the bottom — that's where the grounds are, and swallowing coffee mud is not a pleasant experience.

More than you ever wanted to know: https://www.giverecipe.com/turkish-coffee/

Selden,

After reading your post yesterday I googled cesve and Turkish coffee.  

Then I ordered a cesve on Amazon.  It doesn't say anything about being tinned on the inside but it looks like it is.:

image.png.b0e92a99cd9ce821019b3519f11fe2f5.png

Then I found this recipe/instructional vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PtWraNRTY

This guy really gets into it, 600 ml of water, 7 g of coffee, with times and temperatures.  VERY precise and hi-tech for a simple little pot.  I like it!!

This morning I ordered the Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi Turkish Coffee.  I have a dozen or so different coffees and about 6 different grinders but I want to get this right!!

• Like 2

Seeing pride in coffee warms my heart!

I don't know if it's good or bad that I admit this, but I have a $1200 coffeemaker that grinds the bean, brews the coffee perfectly with a little creme on top, and dumps out the compacted grounds, all with the push of one button. It will make espresso, has a milk foaming steam nozzle to make latte's, and goes thru a self cleaning cycle every time it's turned on or off. It can be plumbed, but I suffer with filling the reservoir myself with filtered water.

I'm super spoiled.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

I really need to be paying closer attention to this segment of the board.

Afternoon coffee, 3 heaping tablespoons of Starbucks Verona Dark Roast brewed in a 4cup/16 oz of water cone shaped coffee maker, with a splash of Almond milk. 

When traveling I use Cafe Bustelo instant Coffee packs.

IMG_2825.thumb.JPG.606fc55b4a4ec6a487a420b6c2084b5d.JPG

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Afternoon coffee, 3 heaping tablespoons of Starbucks Verona Dark Roast brewed in a 4cup/16 oz of water cone shaped coffee maker, with a splash of Almond milk. 

Verona Dark is what I have at work,......one of the benefits of my employer.  Many other flavors, but the Verona Dark is what I put in that canteen cup.  I set the machine to do an espresso shot of Verona, then fill the rest with regular Verona.  Four of those during my work day.

• Like 3
On 10/13/2021 at 7:43 AM, Rougarou said:

My cup at work,....has not been washed since 2010-2011, used everyday I work.......and yes, it's a canteen cup.

I have a cup like that at work.  The only person that understands it is the other retired Navy guy.  Never use cream or sugar rinse it every day.  No problem.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

I have a cup like that at work.  The only person that understands it is the other retired Navy guy.  Never use cream or sugar rinse it every day.  No problem.

What's this rinse thing you speak of:dontknow:;)

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

Never mind the coffee, being in the HVAC biz Im more interested in your calendar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1