IGNORED

2000 BMW r1100rt tic-tic-tic-tic-tic at start up and idle...clutch spline lube?

Jack Rabbit

2000 BMW r1100rt, new to me at 31K+ miles.  PO self-serviced (no mention of clutch spline lube) rode only 900 miles in seven (7) years.  Now 48K+ miles.  Recent start ups return to idle and a tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound seems to originate at engine/transmission.  Tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound disappears when clutch lever us pulled, clutch engaged.  Tic-tic-tic sound returns when clutch lever is released.  I have not experienced any hesitancy or failure with gear changes, up and/or down.  Clutch spline lube time, or another trivial pesterment?  Dozens of thanks to all the group.  Thank you.

Two things come to my mind before you go to the spline lube.  First, do you know if the left side cam chain tensioner has been replaced? There is a known issue with the original parts that affects the left side only. The original has a 17 mm hex head. The new part has a 15 mm hex.  Second, is a throttle body sync. If the throttle bodies are not working at the same exact time, it can cause a clatter in the clutch.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jack Rabbit said:

2000 BMW r1100rt, new to me at 31K+ miles.  PO self-serviced (no mention of clutch spline lube) rode only 900 miles in seven (7) years.  Now 48K+ miles.  Recent start ups return to idle and a tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound seems to originate at engine/transmission.  Tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound disappears when clutch lever us pulled, clutch engaged.  Tic-tic-tic sound returns when clutch lever is released.  I have not experienced any hesitancy or failure with gear changes, up and/or down.  Clutch spline lube time, or another trivial pesterment?  Dozens of thanks to all the group.  Thank you.

Morning   Jack Rabbit

If the tic-tic-tic is always clutch lever dependent that usually points to either neutral gear rattle or a rattling clutch release push rod. 

Neither of the above are serious & the neutral gear rattle is pretty normal & clutch  push rod rattle is not harmful (just annoying).

Does the ticking go away if you just pull the clutch lever in enough to take the slack out (not so far as to completely release the clutch)? 

Is the clutch lever/cable/free-play  adjusted to the correct specs?

Without hearing the tic, or WAY more Info from you,  we are guessing based on very little additional info.

If you can supply more (specific) info on the ticking such as if it happens with engine hot or cold or only hot, ever happens with the clutch lever pulled in?, anything more you can add, then we can probably make a more precise assessment of your tic. 

I have this exact issue on my '04 - rattles when the clutch lever is released in neutral.  I have chalked it up to the clutch release push rod (one of D.R.'s explanations above), so not horribly concerned.  Sometimes it's more pronounced than others.  Sometimes it's non-existent.  I was hoping to replace the felt ring on the push rod when I changed the slave cylinder, in hopes that it might tame the rattle, but for the life of me, I could not remove the push rod, as others had mentioned was possible.  I invested in some better earplugs.

A thank you to you all.  Tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound if the very FIRST time I've heard it.  After posting this pesterment, at start up I DID NOT notice or hear and could not find this sound, clutch engaged or not, and at no engine speed.  I side with DR, idle gear or clutch rod is the culprit.  Easy to live with, like the girlfriend who texts to ask if she can come over, then hearing a car door slam.  The left side cam chain tensioner HAS NOT been replaced, next on the rehab-shopping list to be ordered Monday.  Thank you to all who tap-out their problems and lessons and experiences and knowledge, all take credit.  This forum has sourced the rehab of this RT from a pristine example of "Garage Furniture" to be a dusty and dirty, reliable and invigorating ticket to anywhere I choose.             

2000 BMW r1100rt  Home Bound, Beach House Beanery, Flagler Beach, FL 001.JPG

2000 BMW r1100rt Blue Ridge Parkway Jenkins Ridge.JPG