IGNORED

My Own Version of Graduated Licensing

David

Nate, our youngest, turned 21 last week. About 3 years ago he expressed an interest in riding.

The first step was the BRC, a basic riding course. He'd never operated a clutch before, so that was a good place to learn.

The second step was getting him a used Buell Blast. What a POS that thing was, but he didn't know better. tongue.gif

The third step was spending time in the neighborhood, parking lots, and dissecting racing on TV. Particularly helpful were the braking drills I created for him, as he was an eager student.

The fourth step was selling the worthless Blast and buying a KLR, which he was given use of after a trip to Mexico.

The fifth step was just letting him ride and ride. He's put nearly 5,000 miles on it, including several solo cross country trips several states away.

The sixth step was today, when I felt like he was ready for a different experience. He's been responsible, listened well, and I'm really proud of him. So I handed him the key to the 12GS and said...

Three things, man:

a) This thing has brand new tires. There's not even 1 mile on them, so be careful with power, braking, and leaning.

b) This beast weighs about 170 lbs more than the KLR, and it carries it up high. Watch your step at stops.

c) Unlike your KLR, this bike has brakes. tongue.gif

So off he went, using the clutch perfectly and executing excellent shifts. Eventually he came back, hopped the curb, and rode confidently across the lawn with a huge grin on his face. "Man, I felt like I got out of my old Marquis into Mom's Q45. I expected it to be more difficult to ride, but it was much easier. Everything is tight and precise and smooth."

This is my own version of graduated licensing. smirk.gif

Next up? A 3 day road trip together (with a friend of his tagging along) with some video work to talk through line selection. thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

A new BMW rider is born!

Congratulations on the tiered approach. Wish that we had more like you out there! Perhaps some of the idiot comments we all here about the dangers, etc. of motorcycling would dissipate.

Good job Dad!!

Congratulations son!

ShovelStrokeEd

Well done, David and Nate. clap.gifclap.gif

Shows what a concerned and involved parent who communicates with his offspring can do. If only that were the case for the rest of the country.

Just one question. Where do you hide the keys for the Priller, now??? grin.gif

Just one question. Where do you hide the keys for the Priller, now??? grin.gif

Well, nowhere, actually. He's been told that he is free to ride that, too. Only he'll have to wait until later in the week, as I'm off to VIR for a day of hooning and it's all shiny and prepped. grin.gif

This can only mean one thing.................David's gettin' a new bike thumbsup.gif and the KLunKer is for sale grin.gifgrin.gif

Oooooh, no. The current stable is perfect. Riding a KLR will keep you humble. smile.gif

Nate is working at Nashville's public radio station this summer, and that's his commutting tool.

ShovelStrokeEd

off to VIR for a day of hooning and it's all shiny and prepped.

Ooooo! Lucky you. Great place to take it out and wring its neck. Your gonna have a blast!!

Lucky Nate as well. Having a Pop's who is willing to share his toys. thumbsup.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Nate is working at Nashville's public radio station this summer, and that's his commutting tool.

I would love to hear more about NPR (Nates Public Radio) experiences in other topics sometime. I did radio in college as an on air DJ and also some time in the editing department as an assistant PD. It would be interesting to hear what he thinks of it.

/hijack

Shawn

I'll ask him to share some thoughts in a new thread in Other Topics. The coolest part is that he gets to produce two stories (7 mins each) for on-air broadcast. thumbsup.gif

My son is in Baghdad right now and when he gets home I plan on getting him started on a bike. He has ridden a dirt bike but needs a street bike. Not to hijack your thread but what about the Blast was not to your liking. I always thought it would be a good starter bike.

Congratulations on the tiered approach. Wish that we had more like you out there!

Now, before I say this, everyone understand that THIS IS A JOKE! I'M NOT REALLY SERIOUS HERE!!! NAHDBT!!! It's just that my twisted brain thinks this way. crazy.gif

Disclaimer out of the way, too bad that the fathers of most first time HD buyers are too old to do this type of rider introduction! It would sure eliminate some embarrasing videos! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Not to hijack your thread but what about the Blast was not to your liking.

Barely enough power to keep up on the interstate.

Shitty build quality.

Troublesome vibrations, even above idle.

Nasty transmission.

Grabby clutch.

Brakes that are difficult to modulate.

The only real advantages:

Cheap to buy.

Very low.

Very light.

steveknapp

Now I want to take one for a demo ride. wave.gif

I was looking at one for a friend who was looking for his first bike. My Buell sales guy all but refused to sell him one. "If you don't outgrow it tonight, you'll outgrow it tomorrow morning".

Having said that, when we were up in the UP with the BRAG folks there were 4 Blasts. They had no problems keeping up, even did OK on the dirt. Seemed to be having plenty of fun.

Now I want to take one for a demo ride. wave.gif

Knock yourself out. smile.gif I don't think the Blast is any reflection on Buell as a whole. They make some good stuff. But hte Blast is just a really nasty bike.

Riding a KLR will keep you humble.

And honest. IMHO, the Blast and the KLR are key parts of your equation. Not to put the tool ahead of the craftsman, and not that they are the "be all and end all," but it wasn't until I rode some BMWs that I realized how many imperfections and faults a good bike could cover up. As nice as it has been, I'm grateful to have learned on machines that weren't so forgiving. If you can ride a lesser bike well, you can certainly ride (and enjoy) a good bike better.

Kudos to you and Nate. thumbsup.gif

Archived