IGNORED

WTB: 2004 Blue R1150RS

2015 Blue RT

Hello,

New member here. I found this forum and thought I'd post a WTB. I'm looking for a specific bike: The solid blue 2004 R1150RS. I tried to link/attach a picture of what I'm looking for but cannot do so. I've seen a number of them in the past for sale, but I'm now in a position to buy one and don't see what I'm looking for currently listed.

I'm located in Florida, but have a uship membership,. so transport may not be an issue unless the bike is on the west coast. Any leads are appreciated.

$4K +/-. I'm looking at a few different models- the 2004 R1100RS (like it for the reduced fairing & apparent easier access for maintenance), the 2004 1150RT, and the Moto Guzzi Norge. Basically I'm looking for a shaft drive air/oil cooled fuel injected bike with a decent fairing. I'll use it daily as a commuter. I currently ride a 30 year old GSX1100G and I think it may be on its last legs.

On another forum, I had a fellow in Nevada offer a 2004 silver RT at a steal of a price of $2,500, he has records and the bike was well traveled in its 45K miles. My reasoning here is I only purchase a bike about every 10 years, so what I buy I'll keep (absent catastrophic malfunction or a significant crash). I'd like to get pretty much what I want as far as model & color. I finally figured out how to post a pic, here's the RS color I'm looking for:

bmw-r1150-rs-7.jpeg

• Like 1

This is NOT my listing, just helping out a new board member.

2004 Blue 1150 R     A little closer to you than Maine.   Just now reading that you desire an RS, not an R.  :ohboy:   Sorry.  Enjoy looking anyway.  :wave:

00S0S_69TFbYP6Docz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that turned up on one of my WTB threads on another forum. I do have an extra vintage Windjammer V fairing, but not sure how it would look on that, or even if it would fit.

LOL, for used car movies, there can be only one... Used Cars w/ Kurt Russell!

I like the styling of the K-bikes, but from what I have read they are very difficult to do maintenance work on, plus I don't want a liquid-cooled bike- more complexity.

There's a later model Norge about 200 miles away from me here in FL in my price (and trailer) range. I'm going to look it over on Saturday.

• Like 1

LOL, the left lane on my commute is oncoming traffic... it's 2 lane rural like 90% of the way, but I know what you mean- kind of like buying a Charger.

I wouldn't be opposed to an RT-P if the price were right. How difficult is it to remove the rear box and slap a trunk on there?

Yup much better looking than the LEO but 77 thou. :dontknow:

edit Trunk question.

Not sure but, I think it’s a process to convert it back to a civilian model.

So it looks like 3 possibilities at this point. The 2009 with 77K miles had a huge price drop but I was apparently too late for it.

#1 is a well-equipped 2011 R1200RT with 69K miles in good shape (a lot of recent work to include the clutch) for about $4500. It's an hour away +/-:

EDIT- the seller now tells me someone else is ahead of me again. Thinking this one is not meant to be.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-BMW-R-1200-RT-5018037779

615a04fcf0391347b7017634.jpg?width=1024&

#2 is the aforementioned 2002 R1150RT that is about 1.5 hours away, 24K miles and $3450. I really like the style & color, but have concerns over things like surging and spline wear due to the model year. It's the oldest of the 3, but it has by far the lowest miles on it:

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/gainesville-bmw-r1150rt-runs-great/7393202952.html

00U0U_6KFYe45nbrEz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

#3 is the 2012 Norge, about 3.5 hours away, $4,000 with 74K miles and it has documented maintenance/the roller tappet engine upgrade (an issue for some 2011-12 bikes):

https://www.rumbleon.com/buy/2012-MOTO-GUZZI-NORGE-1200GT/27050/1

82fd84f7-f286-4222-ab73-03cbead732c7.jpg

Looks like best bang for the buck may be the 1150, but everything I've read says the 1200 is a much better bike. $1K over 10 years is really a negligible amount (EDIT- looks like that one is not meant to be, updated above). I guess the looks would grow on you once you had one. If I can work out a 3-day trifecta, I'm going to try and look at all of them by Sunday and then buy one of them.

Edited by WTB_04_1150RS
Updated info

Both of the blue 1150RTs sold today, the 2002 right before I got there (3 hour round trip wasted). Seems like the almighty is steering me towards that MG. :grin:

Yeah, I saw that one. IMO, it's cheaper and a LOT less aggravation (read: TSA) to just have it shipped. For some reason, those bikes are a lot cheaper out west (especially Pacific NW) than here in the SE. There's a blue 2004 at a dealer in Atlanta (about 5 hours away) for around $4600. I'm sure there's a good bit of add-on costs to that based upon my experience w/ dealers. I sent in an inquiry on a MG on eBay a couple of weeks ago that was listed by a dealer up north. Simple question: What are your total added fees? Answer: Call us. Me: No thanks, if you can't answer that simple question I won't do business with you. It's still for sale. I bought a "call for price" truck last year and have regretted it ever since. Similar to these bikes, I bought it for the color scheme and power train.

At this point, I don't think I can go wrong with the Norge. There apparently is no market for them.

14 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I notice one difference with the northern vs southern bikes for sale… You guys actually ride them! :spittake:

You betcha! I ride to work in anywhere from low 20's to high 90's, 5 days a week weather (lack of rain) permitting. I like colder riding more so than hot. Side note: I had a Warm and Safe 12V heated glove go out & ran through like 5 pairs of Amazon high-rated battery gloves. None worked well. Finally found a great pair of 12V Gerbing EXs that sadly are no longer made.

• Like 1

I looked at those, but I just can't get past that funky headlight! Maybe like the 1200RT it would grow on me, or maybe just never look at the front of the bike? :grin:

EDIT- Cycle-ergo.com says it has a forward lean angle of 20 degrees! I thought my C10 Concours was bad at 14 degrees. On their scale, my GSX was 5 degrees, the 1150/1200RT are 0, the Norge is 4, and the 1150RS is 17. I changed the bar on my GSX (and added Hayabusa controls to make it go faster :)) so it's now around 0. I suppose I could do the same on an RS/ST.

I felt the exact same way about that headlight for many years so I get it. Although, BMW has always had a way of bringing me around, it can take time but I usually find something worthy in almost everything they build. :dontknow:

There is a red one < 400 miles from me, $4,500 and 47K miles. It doesn't look like the windshield would give you any protection.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-BMW-R-1200-ST-5017747317

613636f6cb60bc01071f1b25.jpg?width=1024&

EDIT- I found this 1200ST aftermarket windshield and it looks good to me, kind of like what I have on my GSX:

http://parabellum.com/BMW-R1200ST-WINDSHIELD-P47.aspx

r1200stm.jpg

That headlight, though...

20 minutes ago, WTB_04_1150RS said:

I just can't get past that funky headlight

That headlight is one of the best in motorcycling.... Seriously, best I ever had.:thumbsup:

The windshield always worked fine for me..... But it's no RT.......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WTB_04_1150RS said:

(especially Pacific NW)

If you find something up here you like, I’d be happy to go look at it for you. I live an hour south of Seattle and work down in Portland, so anywhere in that area is easy. Plenty of room to hold something while it’s waiting to be picked up by you or a shipper. 

1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

That headlight is one of the best in motorcycling.... Seriously, best I ever had.:thumbsup:

The windshield always worked fine for me..... But it's no RT.......

True, great headlight, great bike. An ST is lighter, faster and handles better that an RS and maybe even a Boxer Cup S (had all three). Might be slightly less comfy than an RS but not by a lot. A Pacific Blue RS is a pretty bike though hard to argue with that, would be a tough choice. Irregardless of the looks, the ST headlight works great and you can’t see it when you’re riding.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

If you find something up here you like, I’d be happy to go look at it for you. I live an hour south of Seattle and work down in Portland, so anywhere in that area is easy. Plenty of room to hold something while it’s waiting to be picked up by you or a shipper. 

Thanks! This is an 1150RT in that area:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/d/snohomish-bmw-r1150rt/7391463812.html

$3199 listed for 6 days, 49K miles. If I recall my uship estimates, about $800 from there to here, so about $4K if I paid asking price. What do you think? I'm about to call it a night here, long day, I'll check back tomorrow.

00d0d_bp3iOGcggvRz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

This blue 1200ST is not PNW, but in southern CA for $3800. That tinted windshield would have to go though, as half of my commute is pre-dawn:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/d/oxnard-2005-bmw-r1200-st/7389476030.html

00h0h_eG9ELsFVOPyz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

On the RT, I’d want to know what they mean by driveshaft and spline overhaul. If that’s means it had a shaft failure, the conventional wisdom says they engine and tranny are misaligned and it will happen again. I’d also want to see better pics of whatever the “garage rash” is before going to see it in person. But if you got and were happy with those answers, I could ride up and check it out this weekend - no problem. 

For the ST, you wouldn’t look through that shield anyway - it could be painted solid black and be just fine. 

Well I made another road trip today and test rode a 2012 Norge. It was a nice bike that had been maintained, but after getting it up to road speeds (60-70) I noticed it did not have anywhere close the wind protection my old GSX does. At this point, I'm going to sacrifice aesthetics for comfort/reliability and look at the R1200RT or possibly RT-P (still not ruling out an 1150RT). Need to learn what all the differences are between them for the -P model.

"It's got a cop motor... cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks..."

So after test riding the Norge, I'm leaning towards the R1200RT or RT-P. I've done some more reading on them, and here's a summary of relevant issues:

2005-06: Final drive has no oil drain, have to detach and rotate to drain.

Same years have servo brakes that cost big $ when they go out (or require converting to non-servo)

2005-2010 uses a "fuel strip" for fuel level vs a float

2010-13: Better midrange torque (dual cams)

Same years, use of a "multicontroller" wheel to control various functions (I had a Cadillac that had a similar wheel device on the steering wheel to control audio and didn't like it; replaced the wheel with an older one with regular buttons)

Same years, conventional single turn signal controller

Based on the above, it looks like the sweet spot for me (especially for price) would be a 2008-2009 model. I'd still consider a 2010-13, such as the $4500 2011 model I linked earlier.

I'd really like to find one w/o the ESA (more complexity), but they seem fairly rare.

The RT-P models I have seen would require some work to remove the radio box and install a trunk. I never ride 2-up, so that is not really a factor. I also don't use bags, so I'd have to remove those and their brackets. I think a conventional (civilian) bike would be a better fit, but I'll include these in my search below.

I found a couple of candidates on CL:

2008 blue w/ 66K miles $5K in Colorado. Really like the color:

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2008-bmw-r1200rt/7391473639.html

00K0K_lzWA2cUHVwYz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

2009 black in eastern VA w/ 27K miles for $5K:

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/jamesville-2009-bmw-1200rt/7394894555.html

00P0P_fDzJTZaAvRxz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

There is a semi-converted 2009 RT-P in Orlando but it is an unattractive green, plus it is $4500 to boot.

Here's a 2009 RT-P in Virginia w/ 67K miles for $3,500. Personal observation, I think the black fairing (most RT-Ps I have seen have a white one) looks sharp:

https://www.rumbleon.com/buy/2009-BMW-R1200RT/22493/1

ac0f06bd-b06b-49f6-89bf-10705ab594db.jpg

This 2013 with 88K miles is in Tacoma, WA and has a $4,200 asking price:

https://www.rumbleon.com/buy/2013-BMW-R1200RT/20541/1

87e3fe52-1d93-4771-b250-cf6dbf8beeff.jpg

Finally a 2012 w/ 88K miles in CA for $3,200:

https://www.rumbleon.com/buy/2012-BMW-R1200RT/13456/1

ca3505c5-18b8-4d09-b714-b7a9c968e0ea.jpg

That’s certainly a selection! 

Personally I would not want to buy any P bike I had not ridden. There’s a such a range of usage they could have seen, as

well as how much the electricals were modified and then “decommissioned” when lights and sirens and such were removed. 

I could easily go look at the one in Tacoma for you, but judging by the cover and front disk lock in the one pic, I’m guessing it’s been living outside. Normally that would be a pass for me in the PNW, but it says he’s only had it less than a year and it’s actually hardly rained at all this year…

Thanks for the info & offer. Shipping the one in CA would probably be a little less, and it looks like a better deal. I may send an inquiry on the VA 2009, as I really like the look of it + 20K fewer miles for about the same money as the one in CA (and about $300 less to ship vs PNW).

Asking price + shipping estimates:

WA: $4,200 + $800= $5,000. If I were to spend that much, I'd go with the 2009 RT in eastern VA.

CA: $3,200 + $700= $3,900

VA: $3,500 + $500= $4,000

On the plus side for an RT-P (presuming no other issues), all I'd need to do to it would be to remove the bags & brackets and then make a plate/adapter for my existing trunk. I watched a video where the owner cut a piece of plywood to shape and then padded it with foam and then covered it with vinyl. Made for a decent low cost rear seat. On the minus side, I don't think they have cruise control, and I've read the wiring can be butchered when they are decommissioned. I'd likely use cruise daily based upon my commute.

Some type of funky styling exercise went on up in the front. :dontknow: The black mirrors and front of the fairing isn’t natural. :spittake: That alone doesn’t make it bad, just something to be aware of.

616cd96be8f14232b03297f3.jpg

edit…fender too!

While I'm here, any thoughts on a salvage bike? I have found a 10K mile 2012 R1200RT that is 5 hours away (pending auction, unknown date). It shows as front collision damage but the pics do not show much more than scuffs on the fairing/windshield. Front wheel looks like it is where it should be. While they don't give you the entire VIN, I was able to guess at it and found the bike had been listed sometime pre-crash on Cycle Trader (pic attached). Having been in a related industry as a past job, I know if the parts and labor to replace things like fairings exceeds like 75% of the value, the bike is an insurance total loss. I'm thinking the cost of the fairing and windshield would add up quick, assuming they can still be had.

There would be added costs to buy via a broker (required), plus auction fees out the wazoo... I estimate around $800 in total. If I could get the bike for under $1K, I could live with the scuffs. I could pick it up (to avoid shipping and even more fees if it can't be picked up within 2 days). I'd have to have it inspected where I live but don't see that as a huge obstacle. I know it would have little resale value due to having a rebuilt title.

The large last pic is the only one I could get via a Google search since the Cycle Trader ad is expired. It looks like the bike used to live in Roswell GA if anyone recognizes it.

Left_head.jpg

LF.jpg

LF_close.jpg

LS.jpg

RF.jpg

RS.jpg

Cycle Trader Ad 2012 BMW R 1200 Roswell GA.jpg

I heard back from the Arizona seller. I have messaged a couple of local members here to see if they can help me by looking it over.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WTB_04_1150RS said:

Nice, but that added $1K plus shipping busts the budget.

That's a sweeet Red bike... Plus it has cruise control! 

• Like 1

I went over the fine print on a couple of auction broker sites, and on a $2K transaction the fees for the auction and broker add up to between $900 and $1100! One place charges you $15 to refund your deposit. They also want way too much info- such as a passport or driver license # just to register. Given the added complexity of titling it here, I think I'll stick with a non-salvage bike.

I just realized the linked red bike is a 2005 1200 (I had 1150 on the brain). I'm trying to avoid those due to what I've read about servo brake issues and lack of a drain plug on the rear diff.