IGNORED

service icon

severely

2014 R 1200 RT has service icon lit on dash. 51 k miles, I think it's a reminder for service, oil change etc. No other issues. I performed oil change, rear drive oil changed. My question is how to reset the service icon? I searched and came up short, thanks.

Three options:

1  Dealer

2. MotoScan, not really that familiar. It's an app and you need the deluxe version for reset functionality and an adapter for OBD II Bluetooth device and the round  obd connector on the 2014 bikes.

3. GS911, dedicated diag tool for BMW motorcycles. Expensive but tons of capabilities. 

There is no other way that I am aware of but to have either a GS911, BMW computer or with a 3rd device (can't remember its name).

From experience once it has been on solid for a while, it will drop out your cruise control. At least that's what happened to mine.

Only resetting the service reminder would bring back the cruise control.

So..your options are:

1) Purchase one of the two devices

2) Find somebody who has one and get them to do it for you

3) Book it in with a BMW dealer and get them to do it for whatever fee they charge.

If you take it to a dealer, I would get them to also check for any minor fault codes and check/install possible software updates.

21 minutes ago, Alfred02 said:

There is no other way that I am aware of but to have either a GS911, BMW computer or with a 3rd device (can't remember its name).

From experience once it has been on solid for a while, it will drop out your cruise control. At least that's what happened to mine.

Only resetting the service reminder would bring back the cruise control.

So..your options are:

1) Purchase one of the two devices

2) Find somebody who has one and get them to do it for you

3) Book it in with a BMW dealer and get them to do it for whatever fee they charge.

If you take it to a dealer, I would get them to also check for any minor fault codes and check/install possible software updates.

I was thinking it would come down to that and I like your idea checking for codes/software updates. Thanks. Icon is only on at start up, then goes out.

I have a 2014 RT.  My light was on for well over a year..probably closer to 2 years.  I didn't have a way to reset it.  I had been doing all my maintenance as prescribed.  I had the dealer install new tires a couple of months ago and as a courtesy they turned off the light.  It is a time issue and or a mileage reminder.  I didn't have any issues with cruise or anything else.  The light is so small on the 14 I sort of forgot about it.  As long as you are following the prescribed maintenance you should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

It is an annoyance they do this, but isn't quite as ridiculous as the ultra onerous approach John Deere has taken.  They are forcing some poor guy with a half million dollar piece of JD equipment stuck in the field to wait until the JD approved maintenance guy from 70 miles away can fit you in their schedule to come out and log in to the onboard computer to clear the lockout if you did the fix yourself.  All sorts of manufactures are putting these "official dood" maintenance barriers into the equipment they sell you and IMO is something that needs to be outlawed. 

• Plus 1 1

Another example I ran into on my RT.  I installed all the hardware to "upgrade" my bike to Central locking and alarm.  I really don't care about the alarm as bike theft in North Dakota is rare.  I just wanted the CL feature.

I bought all the equipment new from MAX BMW, except the alarm module.  I bought that off EBay.  The CL does work from the RH lock button I added.  But not from the fob.  The dash doesn't see the alarm there either.  Fast forward to my valve check, and the dealer was unable to enable the alarm/CL in the computer.  I was corresponding with another RT rider from Ohio.  He had the same issue.  He ended up having to buy a brand new alarm from BMW.  Then it would activate.

Our suspicion is that BMW has somehow locked these alarm modules.  So once activated, they are locked to that computer.  Stopping people like me from buying second hand alarms.  So BMW is doing their shady crap as well.  And now that they've stopped selling the Service DVD, I think it may get worse.

I am fully behind the right to repair movement.   Some of this crap is just BS money making, period.  I'd like to see BMW be forced to offer some sort of solution to the maint manuals.  And stop people from putting used parts on their bike.

Since I use the lock from the dash, I'm OK for now.  But since I went through all the work of putting in CL, at some point, I'll work with my dealer on getting a new alarm module and be fully working.

5 minutes ago, 92Merc said:

Another example I ran into on my RT.  I installed all the hardware to "upgrade" my bike to Central locking and alarm.  I really don't care about the alarm as bike theft in North Dakota is rare.  I just wanted the CL feature.

I bought all the equipment new from MAX BMW, except the alarm module.  I bought that off EBay.  The CL does work from the RH lock button I added.  But not from the fob.  The dash doesn't see the alarm there either.  Fast forward to my valve check, and the dealer was unable to enable the alarm/CL in the computer.  I was corresponding with another RT rider from Ohio.  He had the same issue.  He ended up having to buy a brand new alarm from BMW.  Then it would activate.

Our suspicion is that BMW has somehow locked these alarm modules.  So once activated, they are locked to that computer.  Stopping people like me from buying second hand alarms.  So BMW is doing their shady crap as well.  And now that they've stopped selling the Service DVD, I think it may get worse.

I am fully behind the right to repair movement.   Some of this crap is just BS money making, period.  I'd like to see BMW be forced to offer some sort of solution to the maint manuals.  And stop people from putting used parts on their bike.

Since I use the lock from the dash, I'm OK for now.  But since I went through all the work of putting in CL, at some point, I'll work with my dealer on getting a new alarm module and be fully working.

I think that some of these parts say "Dealer Install only" (or something like that) on them right in the parts fiche.  That's probably a good indication that special equipment/procedures are required to fully install and configure them.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, Skywagon said:

I have a 2014 RT.  My light was on for well over a year..probably closer to 2 years.  I didn't have a way to reset it.  I had been doing all my maintenance as prescribed.  I had the dealer install new tires a couple of months ago and as a courtesy they turned off the light.  It is a time issue and or a mileage reminder.  I didn't have any issues with cruise or anything else.  The light is so small on the 14 I sort of forgot about it.  As long as you are following the prescribed maintenance you should be good.

Hello David

As you can see I have a 2014 as well. Mine was actually one of the very 1st RT1200-LC that arrived in Australia.

Regarding the service light.....

Service light solid ON for a while....sudden loss of cruise control......reset service via GS911 that by then I just purchased......Cruise Control magically back working. Nothing else had been done to the bike at the time, except for re-setting the service reminder.

I have had the exact same happen on a 2006 car. Loss of cruise control...reset service schedule.....cruise control back working again.

Out of those factual experiences I drew the conclusion that they were tied together. The car dealer confirmed that a Service light ON which has not been reset will disable cruise control and if still ignored, after a while will actually put the car into limp mode, i.e loss of power and large increase of fuel consumption. Forcing the owner to take the car to a dealer.

Before I forget, I checked for fault codes in the bike before resetting and there were no other fault codes, except for the service reminder.

This simply shows that your bike behaved different to mine.

Why that is so, I have no idea.

Alfred...thats really interesting. We definitely have two experiences.  I have the 8th wethead in the USA - delivered Jan14, 2014. ...a 14 14 14 :) I never lost cruise control or anything else.  My service light was probably on  2years+.  I wonder if mileage contributed to it or if Australia has a little different software load.  During the 2 years or so my light was on my mileage was pretty low due to Covid restrictions and just not getting out.  I probably only put about 6000 miles during that period.  How was your mileage as a comparison?  I've never had the service light come on in my cars so no experience there. 

The next time it comes on, I'll just let it stay on and see what happens.  I do all the required maintenance so not worried about an issue.

I won't say my mileage as it's embarrassing low :(. Lets just say the bike is in pristine condition.

I am on Annual leave right now and planned to do some riding, but a minor but annoying medical condition prevents me from doing so.

I did have a software update done by the dealer in that early time period, but just can't remember if it was done before or after the cruise control symptom showed up and was cleared via my GS911.

As my old GS911 wasn't compatible with the new Wethead, I held out for as long as possible to purchase a new one. The cruise control problem was the clincher to pull out the wallet and reluctantly  buy another GS911. At the time, I couldn't know if there were possible bigger problems lurking.

Took mine to my friendly local BMW shop and they so kindly reset the service icon but also updated software while it was hooked up, FREE. thanks to Engle BMW in KCMO,

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...