IGNORED

Need Denver and Omaha imformation for Gunnison trip

bmwscoot

Hey,

thumbsup.gif

I'm planning possibilities for going out to, and coming back from Gunnison.

I am looking for a little Omaha info., from someone living/familiar with that place. Send me a PM if you can help.

Also, on the way back home from Gunnison, we are looking at a good way getting through or around Denver on that Friday...mid-day. We would like to be in the Black Hills that afternoon. We won't mind slabbing it in spots, we might be all twistied out by then! grin.gif

PM me, I'll send you my email.

Hmmmm...

We might have to leave VERY early to do Gunnison to the Black Hills that Friday dopeslap.gif, but I still need an efficient way around or through the Denver area from south to north.

My $.02, avoid Denver altogether! You can buzz Hwy 50 east over Monarch Pass, head north via Leadville to I-70, to Silverthorne, then Highway 9 past Kremmling to Muddy Pass (Rabbit Ears Pass). Hit Hwy 14 to Walden, then North to the junction of Hwy 125 and 230. I'll be riding with you to this point, and one of our group can accompany you to his hometown of Laramie via Hwy 230! grin.gifwave.gif From Laramie head north on Hwy 30 to Hwy 34, then take 34 through Sybille Canyon to Wheatland where you'll hit I-25. Take the SLAB north to Orin Junction, then head for Lusk via Hwy 18, continue north on 18/85 to Newcastle, then into the Black Hills via 85 and Deadwood-Lead.

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet even money this route won't take any more time than traversing Colorado Springs-Denver-Fort Collins-Cheyenne on I-25 on a Friday afternoon. The route I've laid out is gorgeous with excellent asphalt all the way, plenty of gas and restuarant stops, and WAY less traffic and mayhem to deal with.

I hate SLAB, and I-25 through the Front Range is the worst stretch of it I've ever been on. tongue.gif

I just got back from a ride out to your neck of the woods via the Black Hills, I'll be posting a ride report after I post this. The Hills are outstanding....

need a black hills to gunny (mountain) route planner?

pm if interested.

otherwise (i used to live in gunny) the fastest way out north is

-50 east

-285>24>91 north to I-70

-70 east to denver

-70 east to 76 ne to I-25

-I-15 north and flat and straight

Thanks for the info. guys... thumbsup.gif

digesting it all today, and planning possible routes.

I am sure I'll be back w/ more questions a day or two down the road.

wink.gif

I just got back from a ride out to your neck of the woods via the Black Hills, I'll be posting a ride report after I post this. The Hills are outstanding....

Outstanding ...Black Hills...OK, it seems like that is going to be our plan on the way home. We love it there, also. (It may necessitate a Thurs. depart, however. confused.gif) We are arriving in Gunni Monday prolly mid-day...schedules and all that.

Question:

Has anyone done the Hwy. 40 from Empire to Granby, then Hwy. 34 from Granby to Estes Park and Loveland (through Rocky Mountain National Park)? It looks good on the map, but....?

What is it like through the Park? Kinda like Yellowstone, or a little more freed -up?

Then if I am going to stay in Cheyenne, I suppose I have to do the slab from there? If I enter I-25 just south of Ft. Collins, do I miss the majority of the Denver nightmare, or does it go all the way to Cheyenne?

steveknapp

Part of the routes for the rally will include a crazy loop through Estes Park. Either for the insane (I'm thinking about it, and I've already been warned it's too far). Or for those going in/out of town who are looking for something off the path.

Been through the park once, it was nice. Think more Glacier or Badlands than Yellowstone, at least when we went.

I hate to sound like an expert on the area, but I'd head via Fairplay, Guanella Pass (mostly paved, a short bit of improved gravel), then up 72 to Estes.

The route you suggested was in an article I was reading about "Exploring the Rockies".

Question:

Has anyone done the Hwy. 40 from Empire to Granby, then Hwy. 34 from Granby to Estes Park and Loveland (through Rocky Mountain National Park)? It looks good on the map, but....?

There is construction ongoing on US 40 over Berthoud Pass:

The third and final season of work to widen the final two-mile segment of U.S. 40 on the east side of Berthoud Pass began May 3, 2006. This year will include the completion of the last fill wall, completion of concrete barrier on the fill and cut side of the highway, completion of drainage and slope revegitation. Paving operations resume in June to make the new widened roadway template available. The reconfiguration of the Henderson Mine Road intersection will require a detour of U.S. 40 traffic in mid-June to allow construction of the new roadway alignment. All work requiring traffic impacts is expected to be completed before the end of October 2006.

Source: www.berthoudpassinfo.com

The delays have been long at times. Otherwise, it is a very nice road and route. Entering RMNP from the west side is great -- not something most people do. Most enter thru Estes Park. Trail Ridge Road (US 34) is the highest continuous roadway in the continental US, and a pretty neat ride.

What is it like through the Park? Kinda like Yellowstone, or a little more freed -up?

Midweek it should be relatively freed up. We stay away from it on weekends during summer. Too many Tourons (tourist + moron = Touron). There aren't many paved roads in RMNP. Some nice scenery is very accessible. Overall, more of an alpine feel than Yellowstone.

Then if I am going to stay in Cheyenne, I suppose I have to do the slab from there? If I enter I-25 just south of Ft. Collins, do I miss the majority of the Denver nightmare, or does it go all the way to Cheyenne?

Depending on the time of day, I-25 north from Loveland (where US 34 from RMNP hooks up) is usually not bad. From there it is less than 1 hr. to Cheyenne. Beware that the wind blows, often hard, in the stretch north of Fort Collins.

Steve, Joel..

Thanks for the 'food for fodder'. The long delays that Joel pointed out have me thinking again. I HATE that crap, and truthfully when we were sitting in construction a couple years ago in Yellowstone (HOT and headed south) for about 20 minutes, it about did us in. eek.gif

Barb was getting a bit woozie, and we pulled outta the line towards a watering truck and doused her in water to cool her down. The construction guys stopped traffic so we could return to Yellowstone, and a restaurant with A/C.

Needless to say, I don't want us sitting in that kinda stuff (especially if it's hot). I do not want to stress out the SO, and take the enjoyment out of the day.

My thought was that it would be a great way for us to ride those roads while heading out of Gunnison, and a plus would be it would then be a natural to do the Black Hills on the way home. It does seem a bit of a loop to do those roads, and then head back to Gunni in one day, as Steve pointed out. I do not want to be so rushed by the miles I have to put on in a loop that I can't stop and enjoy the scenery, and take lotsa photos with Barb.

AND, I am still trying top find a NICE room in the Black Hills (Spearfish Canyon or Keystone) with a same day cancellation policy.

I would like to keep this plan as fluid as possible, the trouble is finding lodging on the spur of the moment during high season.

And NO, we don't sleep on the ground anymore! wink.gif BTDT waaaay too many times a long time ago. Wore out two tents during vacations in N. Minnesota, that's enough. wink.gif

PhillyFlash
Part of the routes for the rally will include a crazy loop through Estes Park. Either for the insane (I'm thinking about it, and I've already been warned it's too far).

I'll defer to those who live in the area, and are more familiar with the route, but I'd say that it's a bit of an ambitious ride for one day. Yes, you can leave very early and probably get back before sundown, but you may not have much time to enjoy the ride. While 530 miles normally is not a very long ride, you have to keep in mind the kind of riding you'll be doing on that loop. It certainly will not be a "smell the roses" ride. Probably could go at a more enjoyable pace either on the way to Gunnison or on the way home. As a day ride? For the insane? Yep, probably is. Uhhh, maybe I'll join you. crazy.gif

Jeff:

I wish I could promise that any delay wouldn't be hot, but I can't. You have just as good a chance of getting roasted as you do getting soaked in a thundershower or having it be perfect. As an alternative to Berthoud Pass, you could take Hwy 9 north to Kremmling, then take US 40 east to US 34 and into RMNP. That would probably add some miles, but you'd keep moving.

Don't rule out Rapid City when you're looking for lodging around the Black Hills. It isn't in the heart of where you want to be, but it isn't that far, and could have more options.

Joel, wave.gif

Thanks for the information, and it looks like the Hwy. 9 route is the way to go. I have to keep moving grin.gif, don't want to sit for 20-30 minutes. It looks on the map that I will give up a nice ride in Hwy. 40 from Empire to Granby, but if they won't stop construction just for ME, I'll adapt. wink.gif The ride through the park looks like it is woth it, however.

Having never ridden in your part of the world, just from what I have read a 400 mile day in the Rockies is waaayyy longer (time wise) than here in the flatlands.

Any estimates for the time required on my route here (bypass on Hwy. inclusive) from Gunnison to Cheyenne?

We do want to stop for photos and a nice lunch along the way. We will make time in the less photogenic parts of the ride, I guess. thumbsup.gif

I think you should plan on 8 to 9 hours of riding time to Cheyenne, and then add lunch and photo time on to that. The speed limits on these roads just vary so much because of the terrain. You should be able to make decent time up to US 34, but from there things will slow down a lot -- not necessarily because of crowding or traffic, but due to the nature of the roads. In most of RMNP, the speed limit is 35 or less, and the road is very twisty. East of Estes Park, US 34 runs through Big Thompson canyon, which is a nice road, but tends to have a fair amount of traffic that stays close to the speed limit (35 to 45). You won't really have a chance to make time again until turn north on I-25 toward Cheyenne.

steveknapp

Thank's Mom, I mean Howard. Didn't I say I was warned? :P

Probably could go at a more enjoyable pace either on the way to Gunnison or on the way home. As a day ride? For the insane? Yep, probably is.

grin.gif Actually that was the thought, for those coming in/out might see somethings they liked from some of the routes. Part of the challenge of loops out there is that it's hard to keep a short one.

Speaking of Mom, you can stop by my folks' house in Cheyenne and say Hi!

The nickname for RMNP is "Rocky Mountain National Parking Lot". Last time I went over Trail Ridge Road at the height of the season it was excruciatingly slow, but pretty! My son and I rode over Going to the Sun Road in Glacier last summer at an average speed of about 5 mph, but it was still quite enjoyable. It was HOT, even at altitiude, so when we got to Lake McDonald we took the boots off and sat with our feet in the water, ahhhhhhh!

I recently stayed at the Motel 6 in Belle Fourche, SD. It was OK, new and clean but pretty basic, but decent beds and even a hot tub and pool for $49. If you're touring the Black Hills you've got to take time to walk through Wind Cave or Jewel Cave, they are really fantastic!

I will NOT be doing the Estes Park Loop Ride tongue.gif. Last time I did a 550 mile day through the mountains I was beat to a pulp. I'm glad I did it, but it wasn't as fun as stopping for photos and such, just an easy 200 to 300 miles (with some dirt!!!) sounds better to me.

Doug

Archived