IGNORED

Use of wire rope barriers to be terminated in Northern Ireland

MotoNews

They've been installing those things on Texas Highways as fast as they can.  I guess it's cheaper to install and repair versus guardrails.  They are going in where there were only grass medians before.  Miles and miles and miles of them. 

Miles and miles of them have gone into Ohio interstate highway medians. While driving up I-75 a few years ago my wife and I witnessed a car going the opposite direction run into one. The wires caught in the car's left from wheel and spun the car around. Violently. These are a menace to automobile occupants just as much as to motorcyclists.

Pa. has done the same on I-81

The turnpike has jersey barriers separating the east and west bound.

I would much rather see the concrete barriers.

From what I have seen, the choice is primarily cost. Wire rope barriers are the least expensive.

If you are interested - https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/motorcycles/docs/FHWA-SA-21-069_Addressing_MAC_Recommendations_Rpt.pdf

After a quick read of the first 2 chapters.

Covers 4 types of barriers - rigid (cement), semi rigid (traditional metal armco guardrails), flexible (wire rope) and discrete posts (sign posts).

Data for wire rope is some what limited. Ridgid seems to be the most motorcycle friendly. However riders tend to be thrown over this type, possibly being sent into oncoming traffic. Semi rigid and flexible appear to be comparable ini juries/deaths. The exposed posts seem to be the main concern. Staying on the motorcycle tends to result in better outcomes.

Also addresses possible strategies to mitigate injuries/fatalities for motorcycles.

Biggest concern for me is the addition of barriers where none have existed before.

I also don’t like the feeling of riding alongside wire rope, but compared to no barrier at all I do appreciate that wire rope might/should stop an oncoming cage from crossing the median and taking me out that way. 

Sort of like riding along a drop off, if I’m doing my job well I won’t end up riding into the barrier/over the edge anyway. 

For me, it's not about stopping oncoming traffic, but being forced into it by an inattentive driver, or just plain having an issue and drifting in. Granted, no barrier is ideal for a motorcycle, but I find the cheese grater design of the cable and post to be the most dangerous.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

For me, it's not about stopping oncoming traffic, but being forced into it by an inattentive driver, or just plain having an issue and drifting in. Granted, no barrier is ideal for a motorcycle, but I find the cheese grater design of the cable and post to be the most dangerous.

Valid points, but I/we have much greater opportunity to control those situations, and other hazards on our side of the median, than we have to control oncoming crazy/sleepy/inattentive drivers. 

…so I’ll still take wire rope over no barrier. 

The local highway patrol was not real happy with them, as they were put so close to the shoulder that they had a hard time staying out of traffic when stopped, especially when trying to get out of the vehicle.

I see the benefit of them, cheap, but I see the danger in them as well.