Death Valley 11/5-7 is on!

mrduck

The annual Beatty invasion is happening again, Friday November 5th leaving Sunday the 7th, but you can come early or stick around later if ya want.

You’re gonna have to make an old school phone call ( the lost art of conversation) 775-553-2333 and tell them you’re with the BMW Motorcycle group.

$65 a night plus tax……always a good time!

See ya there

Don J

EEB93978-4B5F-4A8B-9EE3-4B6643B1CB81.jpeg

KERNVILLE Thursday 11/4 at the Kernville lodge 760-376-2223………great place with the Kern River Brewery right next door.

Friday try to go over Sherman Pass if it’s open. 
Mention BMW Motorcycle group, they may cut us a deal……….
This has become a good start to the weekend, make it if ya can!

Don J

E4FB8909-DBAA-4CF5-AFAA-F2F3DAEAB326.jpeg

39 minutes ago, eddd said:

November is 11, 10/5-7 is this week! 

It's OK, even Ducks get old and forgetful...:lurk:

Fixed, been out in the desert sun too long………

• mrduck changed the title to Death Valley 11/5-7 is on!
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, MikeRC said:

So want to do this.  But so many logistic challenges.

Mike C

Can you fly?

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Can you fly?

Yes.  But I have to rehab the GS that has now been sitting in the heat in Palm Springs for 19 months.  Get the stale gas out of the tank, new tires, new battery.  COVID tests both ways.  Is my equipment OK to use?  Do I have to clean out scorpions or rattlesnakes?

It would be so much easier if I could just drive down with everything I need in the truck 😐 

I looked at shipping the truck across the border and flying down earlier this year, but the cost was astronomical. 

Mike C 

Dennis Andress
6 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Yes.  But I have to rehab the GS that has now been sitting in the heat in Palm Springs for 19 months.  Get the stale gas out of the tank, new tires, new battery.  COVID tests both ways.  Is my equipment OK to use?  Do I have to clean out scorpions or rattlesnakes?

It would be so much easier if I could just drive down with everything I need in the truck 😐 

I looked at shipping the truck across the border and flying down earlier this year, but the cost was astronomical. 

Mike C 

Fly to St George and:

A.) Buy my S1000 XR and ride away 

B.) We can pick up your bike with my truck and trailer and bring it back here. You could wrench it here. I could store it here. 

C.) I have a brand new set of Ohlins for the Miata. Help me change them and take the car to DV. Bring Linda. We could still go get your bike.

I currently have painters. My SWAG is they will finish in 7-10 days. I would need another few days to clean up after them.

My sister, BIL, and two nephews have covid. One nephew is asymptomatic. The other nephew and BIL are in the hospital. They live north of Houston. I would have to go....

The local attitude towards covid is more relaxed than most other places. Life goes on, until its full. I've had my shots and will go looking for a booster this week.

i-Xfg7BTT-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
hedstrom

Oh- No,

Visiting my son and family at their new place in Chicago November 4-8. Tickets  bought and arrangements already made. Cancellation unfortunately not an option. 
Bummer,

Hedstrom

Gonna have to miss this one. Made the Top 40 at a bass fishing tournament on Lake Havasu yesterday and that punches a ticket to fish the big event next month on Table Rock.

Hopefully we do well in the big event. 350 fishing teams and over 4 million in prizes. Hope you-all understand. Will surly have some fish stories to tell at some upcoming BMWST venues.

Death Valley is a great time... if someone is on the fence about this ride... just do it.

• Plus 1 1
Rob Nowell
On 10/3/2021 at 6:25 AM, Dennis Andress said:

I have a brand new set of Ohlins for the Miata. Help me change them and take the car to DV

Dennis is such a solutions-oriented guy, ya gotta luv it!!!

On 10/3/2021 at 7:25 AM, Dennis Andress said:

Fly to St George and:

A.) Buy my S1000 XR and ride away 

B.) We can pick up your bike with my truck and trailer and bring it back here. You could wrench it here. I could store it here. 

C.) I have a brand new set of Ohlins for the Miata. Help me change them and take the car to DV. Bring Linda. We could still go get your bike.

I currently have painters. My SWAG is they will finish in 7-10 days. I would need another few days to clean up after them.

My sister, BIL, and two nephews have covid. One nephew is asymptomatic. The other nephew and BIL are in the hospital. They live north of Houston. I would have to go....

The local attitude towards covid is more relaxed than most other places. Life goes on, until its full. I've had my shots and will go looking for a booster this week.

Thanks Dennis.  A very generous offer! 

|  A.) Buy my S1000 XR and ride away 

I think we touched on this before.  I'm not sure I could keep my license, insurance or registration intact with that bike.  It would (undoubtedly) bring out what little hooligan I have left now that I am an official senior citizen. 

| B.) We can pick up your bike with my truck and trailer and bring it back here. You could wrench it here. I could store it here.

Well, I have to address the issue at some point.  I was going to go down in May, but at that point Canadians still had to do a 2 week quarantine on return from the US.  Which I couldn't do once I was working in the vaccination clinics.   Once the quarantine requirement was lifted in July we were already committed to our summer camping in Ontario.  And who wants to go to Palm Springs in June to September, anyway?   I actually have both bikes and my Kendon trailer in the storage unit.  I was going to do an off-road course or two with the KLX.  But that hasn't worked out, either. 

| C.) I have a brand new set of Ohlins for the Miata. Help me change them and take the car to DV. Bring Linda. We could still go get your bike.

If I was driving, it would just be simple for me to stop in and help! 

Funny story about the Miata.  I've always liked them, but never really had a sports car.  Well, almost 40 years ago I had a 280ZX, but that only lasted a couple of years.  Linda and I were at the annual car show recently and we decided to "test fit" the Miata.  Beautiful car, could easily see owning one.  But watching Linda and I get in and out was like some comedy routine.  Just look up one of those "senior getting in/out of a sports car" videos.  

| The local attitude towards covid is more relaxed than most other places. Life goes on, until its full. I've had my shots and will go looking for a booster this week. 

Unfortunately the COVID tests are a border crossing requirement.  The US (except Hawaii) just requires an antigen test 72 hrs or less before my flight would depart for the US.  Canada requires a PCR test and is stricter on the time frame. 

Fingers crossed that you don't have to make an emergency trip to Texas.  

Mike C

Rob Nowell

I'm looking at weather.com and see projected highs of right around 100 degrees for that weekend, and lows in the mid-high 60s.  I'm a little surprised it is not colder at night.  If I wind up having to tent it, I wouldn't freeze (like I did in the Torrey cabin).  Any other thoughts/suggestions/warnings about tent camping at DVD?

Rob, you might want to check the weather for Beatty NV. for that weekend. That's where the Exchange Club is.

I can't really help with camping in the area... Watch for scorpions?

We usually have days in the 80s in Death Valley, but Beatty is at 3000 ft. and usually gets quite cool at night.

Having typed that, it's still a month out so anything is possible.

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Just look up one of those "senior getting in/out of a sports car" videos.  

I'm 6' 4" with an aftermarket knee and I still smile and giggle when I get out of the thing.

Dennis Andress
33 minutes ago, RT Russ said:

In and booked. Hope there is no snow this year.

Do you have something against snow?

3 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Do you have something against snow?

For me motorcycling is similar to Golf.......it's not as much fun when the balls are cold :dontknow:

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1