IGNORED

Fuel crisis in England

beemerman2k

Kinda surprised I haven’t seen much discussion on this situation in Motocycle groups I hang out on.

Anyone here impacted by this situation?

Laura has family in Liverpool and friends that drive in London.   There are shortages at petrol stations, but her uncle never mentioned if the issue has affected him or not.  She has not heard from her friends yet.  I believe they only use the car for grocery trips, which is weekly or bi-weekly.  They use the tube most of the time anyway.

Funny story about how desperate things can get:  LINKY

John Ranalletta
9 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Laura has family in Liverpool and friends that drive in London.   There are shortages at petrol stations, but her uncle never mentioned if the issue has affected him or not.  She has not heard from her friends yet.  I believe they only use the car for grocery trips, which is weekly or bi-weekly.  They use the tube most of the time anyway.

Funny story about how desperate things can get:  LINKY

Read that shortage caused by lack of truck drivers and army called in to supply transport drivers. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/29/business/gas-shortages-britain-truck-drivers.html

Read fire fighting efforts in western US also hamper by lack of fuel transport drivers.

Correct. 

The numbers exceed 100,000 for qualified operators for HGV.   A combination of Brexit and Covid contributed to the shortage, as many of the EU drivers went home.  England is offering 5,000 visas for fuel haulers and food lorry drivers.  I could offer my services for a week or so, if they let me..  That would be fun.

I have a daughter living In London attending grad school there.  She told me the best part of the problem is that because the gas station down the street can no longer get fuel to sell, there’s no more fights breaking out among drivers there.  

But I’m hearing nothing about impacts on motorcyclists.

I have not heard about motorbike riders either.   Laura's friend has motorbike, and rarely gets it out to ride.  I guess I should send him an email to ask how it is impacting bikers.  I will post if I hear anything worthwhile.