IGNORED

1150RT suspension question

Flagman

I have enjoy my 2004 for several years but am starting to wonder if an on going issue can ever be resolved. Does anyones bike have an “uncomfortable feeling “ from the front end? It feels like a car might with an unbalanced front tire. Of course I’ve done all of the remedies and maintenance and still I have vibration. I have an interesting thought and I wanted to get some feedback from others. I have 60k miles on my bike; will my old OEM shocks cause my vibration? Last week I purchased brand new michelins and for a few miles it was like riding my old bike, smooth and enjoyable which also reinforce the vibration feeling and reinforced the fact that I don’t like riding my bike at all with the vibration. Of course, after a very few miles, the vibration has returned. I have always hesitated as new shocks are big bucks. Any thoughts?

thanks

Mark

9 hours ago, Flagman said:

I have enjoy my 2004 for several years but am starting to wonder if an on going issue can ever be resolved. Does anyones bike have an “uncomfortable feeling “ from the front end? It feels like a car might with an unbalanced front tire. Of course I’ve done all of the remedies and maintenance and still I have vibration. I have an interesting thought and I wanted to get some feedback from others. I have 60k miles on my bike; will my old OEM shocks cause my vibration? Last week I purchased brand new michelins and for a few miles it was like riding my old bike, smooth and enjoyable which also reinforce the vibration feeling and reinforced the fact that I don’t like riding my bike at all with the vibration. Of course, after a very few miles, the vibration has returned. I have always hesitated as new shocks are big bucks. Any thoughts?

Morning Mark

We need a lot more information on your vibration to comment on what is causing it. 

Where do you feel the vibration the most? In the handlebars, or in the seat, or in the foot pegs, or in the mirrors?  

At what speed does the vibration start? Does it stay the same after appearing or does it get worse the faster you ride? 

Does your vibration change if you ride in another transmission gear at the same speed??????

What engine RPM does the vibration start at?

Is it more of a lower frequency shake type vibration or more of a higher frequency buzzing?

What happens if you ride to high speed then pull the clutch lever in & allow the engine to go to idle as you coast to a slower speed? Does the vibration stay the same or go somewhat away as you the allow the engine to idle & go into coast mode?  

Worn shocks won't usually cause a vibration but worn shocks can allow another suspension disturbance to go undamped so worn shocks can be a contributor to what you feel.

The first thing that we need from you, to be able to help you, is for you to explain EXACTLY what you feel, where you feel it,  at what speeds you feel it, & what speed it starts at. We need to fully understand what you are feeling & when you are feeling it.

Same with the engine, what RPM's do you start to feel it & are the RPM's always in about the same RPM range wheel you feel it?

You also need to check your front & rear wheel  (bearings) for being loose & allowing wheel movement in any direction (other than rotational). You also need to spin both front & rear wheels while looking for excess runout or wobble.