IGNORED

Scottoiler Chain Oiler Systems Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Scottoiler Chain Oiler Systems Review intro

A Decade with Scottoiler

How much is convenience worth to you? I pondered that question more than a decade ago when prepping for a six-month road trip around North America. Specifically, I did not want to have to change the sprocket and chain during the trip, and didn’t want to spend inordinate amounts of time working on the bike. Enter Scottoiler’s BMW F800GS vacuum system.

The purchase significantly eased chain maintenance and mess, while keeping the chain lubed, two features critical for long road trips. And an added benefit I learned over the years is that my motorcycle chains have not required frequent adjustments. No doubt that has to do with each link being properly lubed and not binding, easing stress on the drivetrain.

I later added to four of my motorcycles Scottoiler’s eSystem, which electronically controls the flow rate of precious lube to the chain. It’s installed on a BMW F800GS and KTM 1290 Super Adventure, a Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro, and my current motorcycle, an Africa Twin Adventure Sports. What I love about the eSystem is that I can adjust everything on the fly, which simply makes long trips much easier. By the way, I carry extra chain oil in the toolbox and keep the reservoir topped off as required. I still check chain adjustment and such, but consistent and automatic chain lubing seems to keep the chain from falling out of adjustment.

Click here to Purchase Scottoiler eSystem

Scottoiler eSystem Review 1

And I love the Scottoiler for that reason, it makes long rides easier. However, I am very much aware that an oily chain and off-road dust do not mix well, creating an abrasive paste. The saving grace is you can turn the system off well before arriving at a dirt destination. The other issue in terms of off-road riding is that the nozzle can get knocked out of place by errant rocks, not a big issue but one you certainly need to check from time to time to ensure it’s in place.

So are Scottoiler’s chain oiler systems worth the expenditure? In my opinion the answer is a resounding “YES!” The folks at Scottoiler say, “No hassles, just ride,” and for me, with more than a decade of riding with their products, I can say it’s been just that. No hassles and lots of riding!

ScottOiler.com

MSRP: $299.95

PROS:

• Easy-to-follow installation instructions
  • Reduced time on chain maintenance
  • Reduced chain adjustment
  • Prolonged chain life (when turned off during dirt sorties)
  • Easier to clean chain, wheels and swingarm
  • Push button control (eSystem)

CONS:

• Expensive
  • Finding appropriate chain oil on trips (partly my fault for not packing enough chain oil for two bikes on a long trip)
  • Can be knocked out of place while riding off road
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/OYiI__Sb6Z4

View the full article