IGNORED

'02 RT-P Fuel Pump Issue

DaleP

The fuel pump on my '02 1150rt-p has been spotty the last month.  Currently, it will not "spin up" on key-on.  The last time this happened, I parked the bike and it would not start the next day.  Took a few tries before I realized I did not hear the pump.  Removed and reinstalled the fuse, and it spun up for the last several weeks.

This time, I was starting the bike, then died when it hit that high compression point (that point when the clock resets when your battery is low.) No fuse magic this time to get the pump back.

My question:

1. Is the pump at all connected to the ignition wire (HES)?  I know I've got to pull that and get that sent to be re-wired.  I'll be going after that once I pull off the plastic.

Just checking if I do that first, or if I go into the tank while the HES is out for service?

7 hours ago, DaleP said:

The fuel pump on my '02 1150rt-p has been spotty the last month.  Currently, it will not "spin up" on key-on.  The last time this happened, I parked the bike and it would not start the next day.  Took a few tries before I realized I did not hear the pump.  Removed and reinstalled the fuse, and it spun up for the last several weeks.

This time, I was starting the bike, then died when it hit that high compression point (that point when the clock resets when your battery is low.) No fuse magic this time to get the pump back.

My question:

1. Is the pump at all connected to the ignition wire (HES)?  I know I've got to pull that and get that sent to be re-wired.  I'll be going after that once I pull off the plastic.

Just checking if I do that first, or if I go into the tank while the HES is out for service?

Morning DaleP

When listening for the fuel pump to run you need to be quick as the pump only runs for about 2 seconds at key-on. Then it doesn't run again until the engine is cranking on the starter. 

At key-on that 2 second fuel pump run is controlled by the Motronic (fueling computer) only.

The fuel pump running during engine cranking or during engine running is also controlled by the Motronic BUT the Motronic needs to see an HES signal at this point to run the fuel pump.  

If your pump quit during a battery run down (or your HES is failing) there is a chance the Motronic has locked the fuel & spark control out. So maybe try removing fuse #5 for about 1/2 hour, then reinstall fuse 5, THEN try to start it.     

You might also try swapping the horn relay with the fuel pump relay in the fuse box as that can tell you if you have a failed fuel pump relay (fuel pump relays very/very seldom fail though).

You can also remove the fuel pump relay then jump the B+ to the pump 12v terminals to see if the pump CAN run  (this might save removing the fuel tank to test the pump). 

Also, you can sort of verify the fueling control system's ability to run the fuel pump by testing for 12v on the green wire going to a fuel injector. That green wire should show 12v if the system is trying to power the fuel pump.   

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Dirtrider! (And the supporting PMs)

Update:  I've removed the HES. 

With the tank off, touched leads from the battery to the brown and green wires going to the tank and heard the pump.  So, I'll wait to install the re-wired HES, then try to start the bike before going back into the tank.