IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

Went for a little 220 mile jaunt to the N GA mountains Saturday morning.  I counted 11 other bikes on the road all day where there are usually hundreds.  But the cops were out in force.

Bright sunshine, but 38°F may have had something to do with it. 

Stopped at Betty's in Hell-In, GA for a sandwich, best deal in N GA. 

image.thumb.png.bd361cd2d866552b97fb95d94aebbffb.png

Made it home just at dusk.  As I rolled into the garage my TPMS alarm sounded.  It was good luck about bad luck, I guess.

image.thumb.png.532009343f9687dbccdf73e08744c295.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Went for a little 220 mile jaunt to the N GA mountains Saturday morning.

No mountains here, but did a similar ride Saturday.  Temps were mid 50's to low 60's, no wind, and the sun was out.  I rode down to Galveston, took the blue coast hwy west until it dead ends.  You are riding along the gulf the whole time ~60miles.  The bike and my visor get covered with sea salt spray and I have to stop to clean off the visor about every 30 miles.  Then I took some backroads along the coast all the way to Corpus Christi, had mud-bug for lunch and took the slab home.  It was a hair over a 400 mile day.  Best riding day we've had in several months.  I only saw 4-5 BMW's but a ton of Hosstage bikes.  One large group of Hosstage bikes with jackets motioned for me to get out of their way which I immediately decided was the right thing to do.  Did my heart some good when about 40 miles up the road they were all on the shoulder and 3 troopers were visiting with them.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Hosstage bikes.....

It actually was pretty cool.  They weren't overly loud and they weren't riding crazy. They did look like if they had to talk to me I would need new pampers.  There is 8 in the mag, one in the chamber, and two more mags in the tank bag, but I am positive that would not have been enough. I am always amazed how they can ride side by side so close at 80+mph.

It is pretty impressive to see a group roll down the road like that. I've ridden in some big groups (100 bikes or more) for charity runs using road guards, and poker runs with no road guards, it draws attention. I've also ridden with groups of five to thirty or more riders, riding high and tight, much too fast, outlaw style, and it is a rush to the nervous system. Trust in your fellow riders is a must. It also draws attention, the kind I mentioned earlier: friggin' a-holes.

So far, no issues.

Damn I love riding! C'mon Spring!

• Plus 1 1
9 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

:jaw:

Is that the tire you and Chris plugged coming back from NC?

Actually, RE-plugged.  Naw, that one is doing great...  on the other bike.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

had mud-bug for lunch 

The only important thing in this story.

I recently priced shipping us some, $$$ this year.  

image.png.5395b1e0f026e3502e6d9ec3c54fb0fc.png

At about three-five lbs per person, take out 10% for dead ones (pre-boil) then another three-five% dead ones after boil.  70lbs would be about right for my family with enough leftover to peel and freeze for later delicacies.

• Like 1

image.png.a0b9eaf881b7aad56c7060df85c51f1e.png

YIKES.  Do rich people eat mud bugs??

We used to stop at roadside ditches and sein for 30 minutes with a landing net for enough for bait and to eat for two days on the way into the Okefenokee.  

3 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

image.png.a0b9eaf881b7aad56c7060df85c51f1e.png

YIKES.  Do rich people eat mud bugs??

We used to stop at roadside ditches and sein for 30 minutes with a landing net for enough for bait and to eat for two days on the way into the Okefenokee.  

This is for the field run prices,.....the bigger ones ain't out yet,....which will be $$$$$$

I 'memba in the early-mid 90's hitting restaurants and doing all you can eat boiled for $12

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Lowndes… Richard is right. Not really prime season for a month or so. Here is one of our must visit places

https://www.crawfishshack.com/

Ya, crawfish make them prices rise.

image.png.f319c7dabb1331fbdb25368fb285d749.png

I think my wife's family has some Meaux blood in it----like the owners of this place.

Please don't tell Bernie or Terry of Perry about this place, they'll have is doing a "lunch ride" there an we'll havta leave the night before.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider

Sooooo on Jan 2nd I was hit (tapped) from behind while in stop and go traffic on I-75. The bike was pushed forward and fell to the right while it was moving in that direction.  Unfortunately I repeated an earlier in life mistake and tried to use my leg as a prop for the bike, which didn't work out so well. It's a sprain so far with X-rays showing no broken bones and an MRI scheduled for later this week.  I'm walking ok now but I'm still not at 100%.  The bike had the taillight assembly damaged, but that was about it.

20230102_154253.jpg20230102_153032.jpg20230102_154241.jpg

Fast forward to this past weekend.  It was a gorgeous 64 degrees out. I've replaced the taillight assembly and the bike is in good working order.  My knee was well enough that I thought I would give it a shot and get out on the bike again. It was a short 20 minute ride, but it felt really good. :)  Enjoy your rides while you can. You never know when life will take a left turn and your rides will be something from your past. 

329014495_855969275481621_8810199370814647040_n (1).jpg

• Like 15

Wow - glad you're ok and back on the bike - The Clean Living Hoosiers send their best.

I can relate to the leg out instinct - that's a tough one to overcome, and it's one of many I've yet to master.

Hope to see you soon.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Please don't tell Bernie or Terry of Perry about this place, they'll have is doing a "lunch ride" there an we'll havta leave the night before.

Where again is this place? :eat:

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Sooooo on Jan 2nd I was hit (tapped) from behind while in stop and go traffic on I-75. The bike was pushed forward and fell to the right while it was moving in that direction.  Unfortunately I repeated an earlier in life mistake and tried to use my leg as a prop for the bike, which didn't work out so well. It's a sprain so far with X-rays showing no broken bones and an MRI scheduled for later this week.  I'm walking ok now but I'm still not at 100%.  The bike had the taillight assembly damaged, but that was about it.

20230102_154253.jpg20230102_153032.jpg20230102_154241.jpg

Fast forward to this past weekend.  It was a gorgeous 64 degrees out. I've replaced the taillight assembly and the bike is in good working order.  My knee was well enough that I thought I would give it a shot and get out on the bike again. It was a short 20 minute ride, but it felt really good. :)  Enjoy your rides while you can. You never know when life will take a left turn and your rides will be something from your past. 

329014495_855969275481621_8810199370814647040_n (1).jpg

WOW ... I hate stop and go traffic as my worst fear is a rear ender.   Glad you were not hurt too badly and boy looks like the Jeep was damage worse than the RT.   Be safe!! 

7 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Wow, that was quite a "love tap".  I'm glad as well, to hear that you're returning to health, and ready to go.   

You should do "spring training", slow motor maneuver training with Alan ( @9Mary7).  Then you can learn as I did how to fall ~~ "correctly",

and ... umm ... maybe over and over again if necessary, until you perfect your "falling and crash skills" while riding slow. 🙄😖😒😂

Seriously, reactions are reactions, whether it's putting your elbow down and jinking up your shoulder in the process, or maybe fracturing your hand, whatever, you're body is gonna do "automatic".  Even if you've had training to drop and roll correctly (e.g. like football block and tackle stuff, or maybe Jiu Jitsu), your body is going to do what it's going to do to try protect itself when in extremis. 

My biggest riding problem (after all, I need to keep my reputation up of making every thread about ~~ ME!!! ~~😔 ), is my fingers (all of them!) go numb after 20 minutes of riding.  I thought it was "rookie death grip" syndrome, but I rode the last ride "dirt bike" style with open palms and fingers over the brake and clutch levers, and it still happened.   My buddy told me the same thing happened to him a year or so back, and on his first trip to the Doc, she said "Oh, you have carpel tunnel".   Well, I KNOW I've got carpel tunnel, have had it for 35 years due probably to all the keyboard and mouse stuff that came with my office career(s).  I've changed keyboards and mice and positions and etc., to mitigate it over time.  My buddy told me if they catch it early, they can do the surgery he had (tiny arthroscopic incision) and it's a quick in and out outpatient procedure, otherwise, it may be unfixable.  Then I asked him "is 35 years was still considered 'early'".   ~~ Silence ~~   So, short of it is, I'm gonna give it one more try this spring to get out and ride at least 5 days a week, and figure a way to mitigate the problem.  If that fails, see the doctor, and the result will probably require me to forget about riding (I can already see the garage queen RT sitting again, for 2023).   

So, yeah, as my buddy says, the solution to diminished time left to ride in our advancing years is:   RIDE FAST!!  (Don't let time catch up with ya!! 🤣🤣😎)

• Plus 1 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Bernie said:

Lowdens the place I picked for March has a little bit of a Louisiana flavor in their kitchen. Or that is what the website/menu claims. :4317:

Hmm, for a second I thought you posted "Lowndes", and ya were headed to Georgia to have @Lowndes serve us all lunch from HIS kitchen.  🤣🤣

🍻🥳

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Where again is this place? 

Crosby Texas.  It's a real place and one I visit a couple times during prime mud bug season....If you haven't lived a true Cajun food experience...well...you are truly missing a heavenly experience.  Might be a bit for far for eastern lunch, but if you are in Louisiana or Texas east of Austin....must do.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Crosby Texas.  It's a real place and one I visit a couple times during prime mud bug season....If you haven't lived a true Cajun food experience...well...you are truly missing a heavenly experience.  Might be a bit for far for eastern lunch, but if you are in Louisiana or Texas east of Austin....must do.

:dontknow:If they be coming from the east,.....why oh why would they go to Texas for Cajun food when, if traveling in the southern part of the state, they'd pass right through Acadiana, the heart of Cajun Country.   Any town west of Baton Rouge and once across the Atchafalaya, you can pop in damn near any restaurant and have authentic Cajun cuisine.  I'd venture off the beaten path of the major cities on I-10 (Lafayette, Lake Charles) and hit the smaller towns for the slop-chutes with clapboard siding that kinda have that filthy "do not eat here" look (Midland, Estherwood,.....Mamou, Eunice, Mermantau (excellent restaurant there), ,......as that will be the absolute best food and likely cooked by some 80yo plus lady in the back that "speak no English no".

But,.....roads are flat and square to ride/drive......and I-10 is thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump on most of it.

Out for a ride in the middle of I couldn't tell you where, we hit up a little gas station, the girl behind the counter says if you're hungry, I made a crock pot of stew in back, grab a bowl and help yourself. I was a bit scared, and certainly didn't ask what the meat was, it turned out to be one of the best road meals I've ever had. We threw a ten spot at her and said thank you, it was great.

Ya gotta try the local cuisine when out and about.

• Like 2

Roug…I totally agree with you on Where for Cajun eats, but if you are in South or East Texas, this is a short ride. 

I make it to Breaux Bridge for bugs at least once a year too

• Like 1
Michiganr80rt

Let's see...  Temp is 40F.  Most of the snow is melted from the center of my street. The sun is shining. I need to run some errands.  Time to take the R1200RT out!  A Michigan February ride.

IMG_4262.thumb.jpeg.1f9fe2fd692c961f27ac120bc61903a3.jpeg IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.46d3ec5438004d156a79994430f44f9c.jpeg

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, Michiganr80rt said:

Let's see...  Temp is 40F.  Most of the snow is melted from the center of my street. The sun is shining. I need to run some errands.  Time to take the R1200RT out!  A Michigan February ride.

Similar conditions here.  I guess that's what that Mars Red thingy down in my garage was yelling about the other day.  I think she said something like "Get off your ass and get riding ...", except with some specialized Navy "French words" salted in here and there.  Plus, I think she wants all her fluids changed, plus the new toys installed that have been sitting in the project box for six months  (i.e. air horn, front headlight protector, new handlebar grips, strobe lights, and other stuff I may have forgotten about).  😫🙈😒

So, good on you for getting out there early.   She looks REAL purdy, and fast, just sitting there!

• Like 1

It was 64° on the beach in la Tuesday looking at Santa Monica bay. 
BCE3053A-A4EC-485E-86D0-0DEF7EC5255F.thumb.jpeg.9647916751cb5a531317a84b1dd801e8.jpeg

CA297316-7B47-42E4-AFCD-88CAC1B2B83F.thumb.jpeg.cffa0e277c722939fb448c06183cbc5c.jpeg

I had to travel to PG a couple weeks ago. 
sunrise on Monterey bay 

18358AA2-F8A2-467B-B235-A8052D832CD2.thumb.jpeg.1c1f7da1891464ecadd736ceb2c18596.jpeg

68E03F40-17A0-4498-8E5A-B2B2253A384B.thumb.jpeg.a28f7a0c1de6ccbefb6e59fe51e58c66.jpeg

the local fauna

C8CF1BB2-6955-4BC2-84B2-31FA8E06F91C.thumb.jpeg.615c3a3cee373b8c61075874f425cffb.jpeg

rainbow in the Central Valley. 46+5
323392EE-36F9-4363-A900-E6CF80CD8144.thumb.jpeg.031dac99ae373e04cceb9309178726d7.jpeg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Michiganr80rt said:

IMG_4262.thumb.jpeg.1f9fe2fd692c961f27ac120bc61903a3.jpeg IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.46d3ec5438004d156a79994430f44f9c.jpeg

I'm jealous! 40° today here too, but way too much snow still on the ground. The main streets that are clear have a lot of melt runoff going on. Went thru a lot of windshield wash in the van today, that's when you know it's too sloppy to get out.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Plus, I think she wants all her fluids changed, plus the new toys installed that have been sitting in the project box for six months  (i.e. air horn, front headlight protector, new handlebar grips, strobe lights, and other stuff I may have forgotten about).  😫🙈😒

You Sir, are fast becoming the King of excuses!!:rofl:

I mean heated grips and seat, good wind protection, what's not to like?

1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

You Sir, are fast becoming the King of excuses!!:rofl:

I mean heated grips and seat, good wind protection, what's not to like?

Well, crap, she's dusty too, and is gonna need a bath and a polish.  There's SO much work to do to get a BMW running in tip top shape.  🤣🤣🤣

Plus, I have to take my 10th helmet back to Cyclegear, cause the one I bought last December suddenly fits like crap. 

Plus ... lemme think, lemme think, I KNOW I forgot something.   I'm just glad you're sympathetic to my plight.  😮😐

• Haha 1

Quick break in ride to bed-in the new clutch disc. I live in N. Alabama just south of the Tennessee state line, rode up to Lynchburg, TN about 50 miles away the long way, amazing two lane backroads there and back. I was riding conservatively waiting for the clutch to bed in and about 150mi (rode 70 miles around the area the last two days) I felt like it was good to go and started working it over a bit. This is one of the best all around bikes you can buy! Great fun winding it up on the backroads. 69F sunny (bit windy) and lots of traffic free backroads up to Lynchburg, TN, home of the famed Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Distillery. 

Here are a couple of pics. The Indians are display only, they are limited edition cobranded bikes with Jack Daniels, they are doing one each for 7 years. The cutie at the shop told me they make 177 of each bike and they sell out in a few minutes. Great looking bikes!

IMG_20230209_134558.jpg

20230209_132825.jpg

20230209_133154.jpg

• Like 2
Michiganr80rt

40F again, sunny again, time for a ride to Silver Lake. Total about 60 miles. I only had ice on the road from melt water running across the road in one location. There were a lot of places with sand on the road, either from blowing sand or from sand spread for traction near intersections.  image.thumb.jpeg.c9b7aa03e712611a055e82fd0d496ca2.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, Lowndes said:

Went for a little 220 mile jaunt to the N GA mountains Saturday morning.  I counted 11 other bikes on the road all day where there are usually hundreds.  But the cops were out in force.

Bright sunshine, but 38°F may have had something to do with it. 

Stopped at Betty's in Hell-In, GA for a sandwich, best deal in N GA. 

image.thumb.png.bd361cd2d866552b97fb95d94aebbffb.png

Made it home just at dusk.  As I rolled into the garage my TPMS alarm sounded.  It was good luck about bad luck, I guess.

image.thumb.png.532009343f9687dbccdf73e08744c295.png

Destruction of a perfectly good nail.....(sorry Lowndes, been there too...glad you were home when the TPMS alarmed)

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
On 9/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, Dennis Andress said:

West of the Rockies. East of everything else. 

DA30A00C-35D5-4223-9562-7CC89F011600.jpeg

That looks like the paved part of the Burr trail.

Kilrush R1150RT

Took both Beamers out for a spin yesterday. Lovely sunny weather on the West Coast of Ireland (for a change). My Wild Atlantic Way site is pretty much finished now if you are ever visiting Ireland. It'll give you the routes along the WAW and places to visit. 

Visit  https://explorewaw.com/ for more detail.

kilkee cliffs12.jpg

• Like 6

Last week was a day that was 35degF and clear roads after a rain to wash the roads. Seemed like could be best opportunity for ride in February, But I didnt think was a good road washing, so took the Shadow 500 for a ride

gXAEcCZ.jpg

Had another rain, and today was predicted to be 50degF

and was 50 by noon, so got out for another ride, Hey! ride on two days in Feburary in Michigan!

And was upto 54 during the ride.

Yep, for valantines day wife was home coughing and wrapped in blanket and I went for a ride.

IMG_1757n54n59n60.jpg

Was home in time to make dinner.

ANd then was raining. Predicted rain and 40s for couple days then snow again, so was good to get out.

• Like 6

The rt is in for a service, and tires, and some insurance work, oh and a free drive shaft, so they gave this for a loaner. Oh how I love the sound of this engine.  It was 59° in the la basin today, and the hills are green. 

8E2318B8-4D6B-464D-B6CC-480613ED0B8A.thumb.jpeg.26d8607ff0b10f23b228b0a8f388855b.jpeg

• Like 8

Took a ride to the coast today. Bought these right off the boat. Iced them down in trunk case and tonight they are Roug food. Yum. Fresh from the gulf. 

81427D8C-5C89-48EB-9450-FE7AD13211F4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Smile 2