IGNORED

Remote Jumper

RPG

I'm taking off for a six day trip next week and I'll be bringing my XP-10 Micro-Start Power Supply.

2004 RT, with five year old Odyssey 680. No issues to speak of, except IF I need to use it to jump my battery, can I use the rear top shock as a ground?

I have the extended oem positive lug with the cap on it that's accessible under the tank, but the negative battery lead is way up in there and pretty inaccessible.

Thanks,

RPG

I think a brake disc is good clean earthing surface for jump starting too. Those extra positive terminal things are a great idea…..my Rockster battery is way under the tank as well, most inconvenient!

Two thoughts...

1. I built my own battery buss-bar extender with 1/2" copper pipe about 2"-4" long (I don't remember exactly). I cut a length and then crushed it flat with a hammer. I then drilled holes in it to fit it to the battery and for connecting accessories to it. Worked perfectly. I used consecutive conductive grease on the connections to reduce the oxidation on the connections. You can also build one for the negative terminal as well. These are the best locations to connect the jumper cables since they have so little electrical resistance. 
  2. On the jump start... In the rare instance I've had to jump anything I own, I connect the jumping source to the battery for about 60 seconds before attempting to start. This partially charges the battery so the electrical load is slightly less on the jumping source and cables. It has never failed me. 

Miguel

4 hours ago, Jonesey said:

I think a brake disc is good clean earthing surface for jump starting too. Those extra positive terminal things are a great idea…..my Rockster battery is way under the tank as well, most inconvenient!

Afternoon Jonesey

You might want  to re-think that idea as both front & rear brake disks are isolated from  the vehicle chassis by BEARINGS, if you ground thorough the brake rotors then you really risk pitting a bearing as the electrical contact through a bearing puts that bearing at great risk. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

If you have a battery tender plug on the bike, you can always make up a connector plug to jump it if needed.

That's how I power my small compressor for tire repair if needed.

58 minutes ago, Joe Coastie said:

If you have a battery tender plug on the bike, you can always make up a connector plug to jump it if needed.

That's how I power my small compressor for tire repair if needed.

Morning Joe

That will power smaller amp requirement items like your compressor but you can't jump start through a plug like that as the amp requirement to power the starter is WAY more than a battery tender plug or it's wiring can handle.

If the tender plug harness has a fuse then you will just blow the fuse, if it isn't fused then it will turn the tender harness red hot & burn it up as well as anything that is touching it.  

Thanks for the input. My Micro-Start has pretty short positive and negative leads so the extended positive battery post and the ground point on the rear shock upper bolt will have to do.

I don't anticipate a problem. My RT is always on the battery charger and I installed a higher output V.R. on the alternator, but it's good to be prepared. :)