IGNORED

Help !! Stranded 03 rt

joeb

Bike died on Rte 68 few miles west of Madisonville Tenn.

No fuel pump activity

Fuses look good. Looking to get towed to off road area so I can get home and get trailer 

Live 700 miles away.

Any suggestions??

31 minutes ago, joeb said:

Bike died on Rte 68 few miles west of Madisonville Tenn.

No fuel pump activity

Fuses look good. Looking to get towed to off road area so I can get home and get trailer 

Live 700 miles away.

Any suggestions??

Afternoon  joeb

Just because fuses LOOK GOOD doesn't make them good. A fuse can fail & still look OK. You need to either replace the fuses that effect the fuel control system to use an ohm meter & verify they are good. 

On your fuel pump problem-- Is it JUST the fuel pump not working or are other things also not working (THIS can really help us help you). 

Could be as easy  as side stand issue (is your dash RID working?) But (your 2003) it should still start if the neutral light is lit. 

Or a fuel pump failure, or an HES failure (have you been riding in wet weather?) Is (was) your tachometer operating OK before the fuel pump issue?

You might buy a cheap 12v test light at an auto parts store then use that to test for 12v power to the pump,  12v to the fuel injector green wires, etc.

Can you get it to start, or the pump to come on, by moving the handlebars back & forth?  (the red or green wires going to the handlebar R/H side can sometime fracture near the frame steering head  zip tie).

Here is some info on dealers: Red Barn Beemers, 865-804-8730, approx. 50 miles from Madisonville in Knoxville; Alcoa Good Times, 877-761-2283, approx. 35 miles away in Knoxville.

Thanks guys. Yes ride in rain and yes all electrics were normal include tach. Yes did swap horn fuse with pump fuse.  Pulled side fairing and messed with pump electric

connector and no pump activity.

Bike has 118000 miles. Kind person came by with trailer. And we dropped it at local mechanic who will store it till I can mount rescue mission on Tuesday.  If I get it home then I can spend time trouble shooting. Was with friend when happened so unloaded as much as I could from my bike and after leaving most behind. Jumped on his rt and two upping it the 740 miles home.. BTW. Those fuses have very thin connecting wire that are fully intact but with my luck it will be a simple fuse issue but first must mess with my up coming week. Oh well.

My '03 RT died on me with exactly the same symptoms a couple of years ago. The problem was a bad fuel pump fuse. It visually looked good but was bad. I never did figure out what caused it to fail. I replaced it with a new one and have ridden trouble free for two years. I chalk it up to old age (the bike, not me).

9 hours ago, joeb said:

Thanks guys. Yes ride in rain and yes all electrics were normal include tach. Yes did swap horn fuse with pump fuse.  Pulled side fairing and messed with pump electric

connector and no pump activity.

Bike has 118000 miles. Kind person came by with trailer. And we dropped it at local mechanic who will store it till I can mount rescue mission on Tuesday.  If I get it home then I can spend time trouble shooting. Was with friend when happened so unloaded as much as I could from my bike and after leaving most behind. Jumped on his rt and two upping it the 740 miles home.. BTW. Those fuses have very thin connecting wire that are fully intact but with my luck it will be a simple fuse issue but first must mess with my up coming week. Oh well.

Morning  joeb

With the  "riding in the rain"  thing the HES comes to mind but the 2003 1150's didn't have a lot of HES problems, also your Tachometer not acting up doesn't point directly at the HES   (but the HES still needs to be checked out).  Does the TAC jump around when cranking the engine?

There was a run of 2003 1150 bikes that had a poorly heat treated retaining clip on the HES pigtail so you might remove the front belt cove & check for that clip being broken. 

If your emission Evap Can has been removed then you could  have water inside your fuel tank from road water getting sucked into your fuel tank through the tank vent hose behind the riders R/H foot peg  (most don't properly cut that vent hose exit at a 45° angle when removing the Evap Can. (something to check out anyhow). 

Everything works normal. Bit the bullet at home now .Monday getting trailer and driving back down to retrieve bike .will trouble shoot when home.

And not water in tank as pump never runs on start up

Thanks for all food suggestions.  Great trip in spite of hiccup. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. Finally gave a chance to troubleshoot the 03 1150. Couple questions.  Trying to see if power to pump. On the electrical connector to pump by gas tank. Which wire should be hot when starting bike ?. Also some referenced the pump relay are they talking about the fuse Or is there a separate relay and if so where would it be ??  Is the pump fuse # 6 from right when facing forward?  Thanks the answers will make this a whole lot faster to figure

35 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi guys. Finally gave a chance to troubleshoot the 03 1150. Couple questions.  Trying to see if power to pump. On the electrical connector to pump by gas tank. Which wire should be hot when starting bike ?. Also some referenced the pump relay are they talking about the fuse Or is there a separate relay and if so where would it be ??  Is the pump fuse # 6 from right when facing forward?  Thanks the answers will make this a whole lot faster to figure

Afternoon Joeb 

The fuel pump B+ wire (on the chassis side of the connector) is green/white & the brown is the ground side. Remember you only get 2 seconds of pump run at key-on,  then the pump should run full time while cranking.  

There is a fuel pump relay that also powers the fuel injectors (green wire), again 2 seconds on at key-on then full time on during engine cranking.

Just tested and got 12 volts for about 2 seconds.  Can I assume relay is working and just order a new fuel pump ?? Will try beemer boneyard unless better solution . Thanks for the reply.

Just now, joeb said:

Just tested and got 12 volts for about 2 seconds.  Can I assume relay is working and just order a new fuel pump ?? Will try beemer boneyard unless better solution . Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, joeb said:

Afternoon Joeb 

Yes that tells you the fuel pump relay is working.

Before ordering a pump pull the tank apart as maybe you had an internal hose come off, or you have a hole or split in the "U" shaped internal pressure hose (assuming the pump is quietly running).

I have also seen a couple over the years that had an open in the brown ground wire so test to see if you have 12v on the brown pump ground wire. If you do then your brown wire has an open to ground so the pump can't run with no ground. 

Thanks . I test between ground wire and hot wire at plug so I know ground from that point is good. If pump is bad will a continuity test of wires to pump indicate anything ?

Also BMW suggested  for pump ,contact Euromotoelectric. Do you know if they sell quality parts or not. About $300 difference between them and BMW. About same thing with Beemer boneyard.  Any thoughts ?

3 minutes ago, joeb said:

Thanks . I test between ground wire and hot wire at plug so I know ground from that point is good. If pump is bad will a continuity test of wires to pump indicate anything ?

Also BMW suggested  for pump ,contact Euromotoelectric. Do you know if they sell quality parts or not. About $300 difference between them and BMW. About same thing with Beemer boneyard.  Any thoughts ?

Afternoon Joeb

If your pump shows continuity then you at least know the pump is still connected without an open but you can't tell much else. 

I have bought from Euromotoelectric with good results. 

Euro sells bosch pumps not sure make of boneyard pumps although they sell whole kit filter screen o rings clamps submersible fuel lines. Not sure what comes with euro. Have to wait till Monday to call. Do you think Bosch pump is worth holding out for and possible extra expense  if I have purchase other parts separately?? 

3 minutes ago, joeb said:

Euro sells bosch pumps not sure make of boneyard pumps although they sell whole kit filter screen o rings clamps submersible fuel lines. Not sure what comes with euro. Have to wait till Monday to call. Do you think Bosch pump is worth holding out for and possible extra expense  if I have purchase other parts separately?? 

Afternoons  Joeb

It kind of boils down to what you need & what comes with the pump.

Personally I wouldn't do a thing until I pulled the tank apart to find out  EXACTLY what I do or don't need. 

Sounds good. I pretty much know it's the pump as it was real easy to hear it during the ignition on phase ( prime ) so it wouldn't be a blocked cracked fuel line. Although a disconnected wire would  cause same symptoms. 

As always thanks for your input.. 

Joeb...your instinct might be right on the fuel pump, but I would  encourage  you to follow DR's thought process on checking that u hose before ordering a new pump.  They are notorious for cracking  You have to take the tank off anyway.  If that u hose hasn't been replaced it should be.  Get the correct hose as there have been several folks try to buy fuel line (non-submersible) and just bend it and it just doesnt fit or work correctly.  Fuel pump and hoses are a simple repair.  You will get it going in no time.  Good luck

22 minutes ago, joeb said:

Euro sells bosch pumps not sure make of boneyard pumps although they sell whole kit filter screen o rings clamps submersible fuel lines. Not sure what comes with euro. Have to wait till Monday to call. Do you think Bosch pump is worth holding out for and possible extra expense  if I have purchase other parts separately?

It's hard to tell from a lot of the descriptions of the pumps, so a call is worthwhile.  I had a poor experience with a pump replacement kit, where the pump came with a wire jumper that had to be connected to the oem wire connections.  Didn't like the connections at all.  Put my original pump back in, and that continued to work until the fuel spigot snapped off which left me stranded (deer collision).  I replaced that with a Norris/VDO exact replica pump, so that the wire connections went on exactly as the OEM pump did.  It's been in there for 33K miles.  You don't have to go BMW white box, but I wouldn't go cheap either, not for a fuel pump.

Beemerbone sells what they call OEM replica pump. Seems like a contradiction. I'll call on Monday and see if it is what you talked about. Thanks for your thoughts. I hit a deer once. No bike damage but deer is no more