IGNORED

R1200st

Blackmax

2 minutes ago, Blackmax said:

Hi all. Fancying an st. Having had r1100s & k1200s. Does this bike suffer same vibrations as the 11s did.

Afternoon Blackmax

Yes & no, the 1200 hexhead engine has a single balance shaft so that helps reduce vibrations (buzz) but the 1200 has larger pistons so the balance shaft can't remove all the buzzing. 

The 1200 hexhead engines are still only 2 cylinders with offset pistons  & have a 360° firing order so there will still be some higher RPM buzz.   

They are definitely not as smooth as an equivalent sized 4 cylinder.  

• Plus 1 1

My R1200ST was much smoother than my R1150RT-P. There is some higher RPM buzz, but it was at very high cruising speeds or while using it at track days. During normal day to day operation it remains substantially smoother than the 11xx series motor.

Well. I purchased one. An 05 with 55k on clock. I am well pleased with the ride.

I did want an s model, but daft money.

Much smoother than my 11s.

& more comfy than k1200s as youre sat lower into bike. Ive removed lower side panels. To see if it looks better

. I think it does.

20210923_174241.jpg

Maybe i had a bad one. But it vibrated badly above 5k.

1 hour ago, Oldrider51 said:

Nice looking bike. agree that is looks better without side panels. Never thought my two R1100S models had much vibration.

i Well. I purchased one. An 05 with 55k on clock. I am well pleased with the ride.

I did want an s model, but daft money.

Much smoother than my 11s.

& more comfy than k1200s as youre sat lower into bike. Ive removed lower side panels. To see if it looks better

. I think it does.

Congrats!! I bought mine new in late 05 even though I went to the dealer to buy an 1100s. Never regretted it as the ST got 'round a race track faster than my buddy's 1100S and was more comfy whilst touring.:18:

If the shocks are original, the Ohlins replacements are magic....