IGNORED

Valley of the Gods on street tires?

Groanup

I'm looking for folks who have traveled the 17 miles of dirt through the Valley of the Gods recently.

I'm on a Versys 1000 and have VERY limited dirt experience. I've watched a couple videos, and it doesn't look bad, but they are old videos.

My question is, Am I crazy to think about it?

1 hour ago, Groanup said:

My question is, Am I crazy to think about it?

Short answer no. You remember what I did on the Burr Trail with the RT years ago... 

You might question your tires. However, if it's hard pack ya might be just fine.

This guy makes some pretty decent videos. He imparts some solid information for big ADV bikes. 

Here is one link to one of his videos. LINK

Call me if you get stranded.

Another link 

And Another Link

Heck Don, if you've ridden Burr Trail to Bull Frog it should be no sweat for ya. 

After Torrey this year I took the Ducati down Moki Dugway. I didn't feel comfortable power sliding... the drop offs will do you in. :jaw:

It wasn't bad, just don't grab a fist full of front brake.

I did it on my GS a couple of years ago on TKC 70 tires.  That was in the spring and the road had some pretty deep sand-filled ruts at the time.  So it might depend on if it has had any recent maintenance or rain. 

For reference, I have been on the Moki Dugway both up and down on my old 1150 with street tires without problems.  Not exactly roostering out of the corners, mind you :grin:

Mike C

• Thanks 1

Just googled pictures of Moki Dugway……..OH HELL YEAH, I’m in! 

(and I said no more off road adventures on the RT, but DAYUM, that’s just too good)

Don J

15 hours ago, mrduck said:

(and I said no more off road adventures on the RT, but DAYUM, that’s just too good)

Don J

Oooooh, that’s a slippery slope. 😄

On 9/21/2021 at 9:53 PM, mrduck said:

Don J

No problems Don. 

And since you are only 10 minutes away when you are at the bottom of the Moki Dugway (and the west entrance to the Valley of the Gods) , consider Goosenecks State Park

large.20190515_Goosenecks_withGS01.jpg.1c00f1f6d9bc9e0ec5b06bcd43db7f75.jpg

20190515_GoosenecksPan02.thumb.jpg.6a0ec40a191fd3084a880d95ad329ac0.jpg

Mike C