IGNORED

throttle cable replacement

brennaman

I will be replacing my throttle cable, and choke cable today, and I was just curious after you get the tank and battery out, do you have to pull out the power assisted brake module to get the battery tray out to do this? If I have to pull the brake assy., what all do you have to pull off to get it out? Any little help would be appreciated. Phil

With the tank out of the way, or just lifted at the rear, on the RH side of the bike just below where the cables enter the throttle junction box is a tab which is pushed down, allowing the junction box to be slid out to the right. You will have to release the LH short cable and free off the fast idle cable from its cable ties to do this.

There is no need to remove either battery box or brakes unit, or indeed anything other than the tupperware and tank.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks Boffin, I am looking on the RH side (throttle side) and can't find a tab. I will keep looking, but if anyone knows a site that might have a diagram of what I am looking for, it would be greatly appreciated. Phil

Wow, this is turning into a bear. I am having a hard time getting the throttle junction box all of the way out, and I can't figure out how to get the fast idle cable out of the handle. Any ideas out there? Phil thanks

STOP! Don't take the fast idle cable off the handlebar. The box can slide out far enough to replace the other cables without removing the fast idle cable. The fast idle cable doesn't need replacing anyway. That trick makes the throttle cable replacement a million times easier.

I found that the platic doo-dad that is in the metal bracket that blocks the junction box from coming out is easily removed by turning it ~1/8th turn. The junction box can that [just] be slid past it.

Archived