IGNORED

"When the Road Ends-Lost in the Pacific" Film Review

MotoNews

Published in: Media

when-the-road-ends-film-review-intro

A film by Dylan Wickrama, and reviewed by Sam Manicom

The cover of the book “When the Road Ends” got it right with the words, “The tale of an incredible journey.” I absolutely devoured the book when it was first released in 2015, and when I heard that a film was going to be made, I couldn’t have been more delighted. But I was nervous; too often films simply don’t do a book justice.

In brief, this is the story of Dylan Wickrama’s solo motorcycle journey around the world. The focus is on what he decided to do when he reached the Darien Gap, that infamous stretch of virtually impenetrable, mountainous jungle that straddles the border between Panama and Colombia. Most overlanders quite logically freight their bikes over this barrier by container, yacht or air. Any of those options alone can be a challenge and present their own steep and intense learning curves. But Dylan Wickrama is a guy who sees obstacles through a different lens than most of us.

Instead of viewing this section of his journey as a barrier, he saw it as an adventure to be had. And he  did have it, with the help of others he met along the way, utilizing skill, a sense of innovation, and optimism. So, how’d he do it? Dylan designed a raft powered by a propeller and shaft connected to his motorcycle. His plan was to sail the Pacific Ocean side of the Darien Gap on his raft of oil drums and bamboo, with a scrap of sail to back up the modified outboard engine of his trusty GS. I’ve heard it said, with respect, that this man is barking mad!

When the Road Ends review 1

The film in no way lets the book down. There’s some wonderful footage, and the tales told will have your mood swinging from trepidation to incredulity. From heart-in-the-throat moments, to laughing-out-loud humor, there are some real gems woven into the story, too. And if you ever have the chance to meet this man, shaking his hand will be something you’ll feel privileged to have done.

Narrated by Dylan and his wife Martina, with some very well-chosen music, this is an absolutely gripping film. Quite simply, get it. You’ll not be sorry. It’ll be one of those films that easily stands up to repeat viewing.

When the Road Ends - Lost in the Pacific: A film by Dylan Wickrama

Distribution and production: Ride2Explore

Available on: Journeyman.tv/film/7775| iTunes | GooglePlay | Amazon Video (in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese)

Fees: Rent—$5 | Buy—$8.50

Ride2Explore.com

When the Road Ends review cover 2

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/zO211U49dog

View the full article