IGNORED

REV’IT! Offtrack Jacket and Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

REV’IT! Offtrack Jacket and Pants Review intro

As far as I’m concerned, many of the adventure motorcycle suits on the market put off that Biker Mice from Mars vibe. There’s an overabundance of zippers, flaps, snaps and pockets. For years, I’ve opted to ride in a more traditional belt-waisted jacket, the REV’IT! Zircon (now discontinued) along with a pair of armored ADV riding pants—most recently the REV’IT! Defender Pro. I’d pair those with either my trusty old ICON 1000 Elsinore boots if the riding was going to be easy, or the Sidi Crossfires,which have saved my ankles from countless injuries. It’s been a good setup, albeit with flaws, namely the inability to stay cool when temperatures venture into the 90°F range.

Offered the opportunity to test REV’IT!’s new Offtrack jacket and pant combo, I was admittedly a little hesitant. The first colorway that arrived was in Silver-Blue and looked too much like something a Power Ranger might put on. Luckily, it was too small, so I sent it back and requested the Silver-Red colorway, along with the pants in boring old black. I couldn’t convince myself to make the jacket and pants match, and luckily the lighter colored jacket proved the perfect choice for sweltering dual-sport days in Baja.

Described as a “lightweight, well-ventilated garment with plenty of storage space,” the Offtrack features REV’IT!’s Ventilation Control System (VCS), which is effectively a set of foldaway flaps allowing for massive airflow throughout the jacket. Those, combined with the massive vents along the sleeves, kept me cool on even the hottest days in the desert. The Offtrack jacket includes SEEFLEX CE-Level 2 protection at the shoulders and elbows, while the pants include the same protection at the knees along with CE-Level 1 hip protectors. Unfortunately, the Offtrack pants only have two ventilation ports—one on the thigh of each leg. And being that they’re not made of a mesh material, I did notice a lack of airflow when seated on my bike. Standing, though, the zippered vents did provide some cooling for my bits and pieces.

RevIt Offtrack Review vert

The Offtrack pants have an adjustable waist band, zipper fly and robust snap closure along the beltline. They feature a pair of water-resistant pockets akin to cargo shorts. I found those pockets quite handy when negotiating toll roads, where I needed a place to put some pesos, a receipt or even my debit card and identification. Additionally, the Offtrack pants include a detachable thermal liner and waterproof Hydratex Mesh G-liner, neither of which I have used, as most of my riding has been in Mexico or Mojave of late. But it’s good to know they are there and that, should the weather turn foul, I have an inner layer to keep my kickers warm and cozy.

Like the pants, the Offtrack jacket includes both thermal and waterproof liners. Two flap pockets are at the front of the jacket, along with large chest vents, adjustable torso straps and a storm collar. Overall, the jacket fits small but leaves just enough room for a thermal layer. I typically ride with an old Klim Inferno Jacket stuffed into my hydration pack, which has proven sufficient when the sun sets south of the border and works perfectly beneath the Offtrack. The armor is more than adequate for aggressive ADV or dual-sport riding, and there’s a slot for additional back armor as well.

Overall, the Offtrack jacket and pants proved a perfect companion on my most recent adventures, both a dual-sport adventure in Baja and my recent test ride of Harley-Davidson’s Pan America. The set is lightweight, has ample ventilation, enough armor and the versatility to be a four-season setup. I will say that the pants could be better ventilated, and the knee armor doesn’t stay where it should, but I am yet to find ADV pants that do. All in all, the Offtrack is a great kit for an adventure rider seeking something that will keep them cool on long days in the sun and offers enough layering options to prevent cold rides home in the evening.

RevItSport.Com

MSRP: $399.99 - $439.99

PROS:

• Plenty of ventilation means you won’t get warm
  • Thermal and waterproof liners make this a four-season setup
  • CE-Level 2 armor is more than adequate for all your ADV rides
  • Fit is European but not too tapered
  • Multiple colorways means that you can mix and match

CONS:

• When combined with the matching pants, you might look like a space ranger
  • Pants are not wide enough to fit over proper motocross boots
  • Two small vents on the pants are not enough to keep your legs cool