IGNORED

Klim Adventure GTX Boots Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Klim Adventure GTX Boots Review intro

Klim Adventure GTX Boots—in Search of Goldilocks

Finding the right balance in anything ADV-related is difficult. Boots are no different. We demand high levels of protection, low weight, breathability, flexibility and why not just make it totally waterproof too? Thanks to a robust ADV aftermarket, many of these options are available, but usually there’s nothing available with it all.

Klims new Adventure GTX boots are looking to fill that perfectly balanced category of foot protection. Can they do it? First up is the construction: it’s not all plastic, nor all textile. While hard motocross-like boots offer the most protection, they are horrendous on weight and simply walking around. Klims use of heavy rubber-like vinyl over the toe and back half of the foot are incredibly rigid without the bulk and weight. While quite stiff, the flexibility to walk around comfortably comes from select areas of textile materials located at flex points, which help make walking a more pleasant and quiet affair.

KLIM GTXADVBoots 1

The boots are quite stiff and it takes several hundred miles of riding along with plenty of walking before they’re really comfortable on and off the bike. But, like springs, I’d rather start a little stiffer then loosen them up into a nice workable level over time.

For several years, I’ve been a fan of the BOA lacing system, which literally uses a dial to optimize fit. I first experienced it on REVIT’s Discovery  and Expedition boots, which are the Adventure GTX’s closest competitors by feature set. Unlike the Expeditions, Klims system uses both BOA and a single buckle to provide adjustable support, with the BOA dial placed on the back of the boot about halfway up. This means you initially can’t see what you’re doing with the dial when sitting down but will get used to it pretty quickly.

The micro-adjustability of a BOA system needs to be experienced to understand its fit benefits. Not only do you get a finer degree of fit control, simply popping the BOA dial up releases all tension on the system and is a quick relief after long days in the saddle. I would really like to see a completely BOA version of this boot, like an Adventure GTX “lite,” but there’s no denying some will feel more secure off road with a buckle in place.

KLIM GTXADVBoots BOA

The next, and perhaps best, feature I like about the Adventure GTX is the amazing sole, which was created in cooperation with Michelin tires. The tread pattern is based on automobile snow tires and uses some of the stickiest rubber around. Mixed with the quite rigid polycarbonate lasting board, your feet have a tremendous amount of traction on most any surface, wet or dry. It’s also quite thick and gives a little bit of reach relief over street touring boots. To be honest, while there are many features to like about this boot, the sole has to be my favorite.

KLIM GTXADVBoots sole

Last but not least, as a GoreTex boot these have proven waterproof so far. Hanging out in 4 to 6 inches of water to grab pics has proven no problem and certainly most rain will not be an issue. At around $450 this killer set of kicks come in several hundred dollars less expensive than its nearest competitor. All in all, if you’re looking for a touring-style boot that leans more to the off-road range of protection and rigidity, Klim’s Adventure GTX boots are a great and rare choice in the Goldilocks boot segment.

Klim.com

MSRP: $449.99

PROS:

• Well built, waterproof and versatile
  • Good balance of materials
  • Good for walking and riding (after break in)
  • Love the sticky-icky Michelin sole

CONS:

• Heavy and takes a while to break in
  • Would like to see an all-BOA version

Where to Buy:

Official Site btn     Revzilla btn     Moto Sport btn

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/pjOijUYPfyQ

View the full article