IGNORED

1150rt airbox drain plug removal

joeb

Hi all. My airbox drain plug is leaking. There is an o-ring on it similar to the oil fill plug. The problem is. I don't know how to remove plug. Quarter turn is all I get and it doesn't come out. Maybe I need to spend more time wiggling it around to see if it has tabs that line up with notches. Or does it need to be forced past quarter turn to line up tabs. Don't want to force /break something.  Any ideas ??

Thanks 

18 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi all. My airbox drain plug is leaking. There is an o-ring on it similar to the oil fill plug. The problem is. I don't know how to remove plug. Quarter turn is all I get and it doesn't come out. Maybe I need to spend more time wiggling it around to see if it has tabs that line up with notches. Or does it need to be forced past quarter turn to line up tabs. Don't want to force /break something.  Any ideas ??

Thanks 

Morning Joeb

I can't remember ever completely removing one of those drain plugs. BMW does service that (p/n-13711340752)  plug so it must be removable. 

You might try opening it 1/4 turn then blasting some WD-40  between the "O" ring & air box then, use a Q tip, or better yet compressed air, to clean the area between the "O" ring & air box. (might be some junk that settled in the bottom of the air box got caught between the "O" ring & air box when you opened the plug)

I have an old air box in my shop attic so I might be able to find a way to remove that plug but I won't be able to get to that for a while as I won't be near my shop until sometime next week. 

6 hours ago, joeb said:

Quarter turn is all I get and it doesn't come out. Maybe I need to spend more time wiggling it around to see if it has tabs that line up with notches.

Yes, quarter turn is all it takes.  There are tabs on the plug that fit through notches. Shine a light there to see if the oring is caught.  Don’t over think it.

Got it thanks. I removed side fairing got a better grip on it a few wiggles and out it came o- ring had all sorts of grit on it. No wonder it didn't seal. Thank all of you for your help

31 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Would it make sense to install a drain tube, maybe routed to the rear of the bike, with or without a one-way valve, to prevent that type of build up?

Morning  Hosstage

Probably not something most want to do, you sure don't want to take any chance of getting oil on your rear tire, or on the rear brake.

Plus, personally I wouldn't want to leave oil spots or puddles every place I parked the motorcycle.

If drained once a year & the crankcase isn't overfilled then that is usually all it takes. If not overfilled the amount of oil in that lower air box can be used to tell something about the engine.

If the motorcycle is tipped over on it's side (especially while  running) then that drain valve should be checked shortly after riding that day).

I used to open that air box drain at every oil change, I would allow the oil to drain from the crankcase overnight as well as drain the air box overnight. Never got a lot of oil out of my RT's air box but on my GS bikes I would sometimes get a mix of water mixed with oil. 

• Like 1