IGNORED

RT Tool Kit

ButtUgly

I have heard that the standard BMW RT tool kit 'could'n even open a letter' and I have seen a tool kit available as an option on the BMW website.

Have any of you purchased this optional tool kit and could you tell me what exactly is the difference between the two kits.

thanx,

Pat wink.gif

Check out the link below, from Max BMW. It's the online parts fiche for the RT, in this case the 2005 model and you can see the supplentary tool kit and what it contains. Note, however, that the tool kit supplied with the '06 RT is not as illustrated on the same page -- the kit you'll get has very little in it. You may want to confirm before you buy, if you're so inclined.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=48423

I have heard that the standard BMW RT tool kit 'could'n even open a letter' and I have seen a tool kit available as an option on the BMW website.

Have any of you purchased this optional tool kit and could you tell me what exactly is the difference between the two kits.

Pat wink.gif

You're right. The included tool kit bites. Here's what I'd do:

Get a combination torx driver set like this one:

255505_front200.jpg, an adjustable end wrench, and stick those in your OEM kit, add some duct tape, plastic wire ties, a tire pump, and wait til you see what you'll really need.

gettysburg

I looked at the optional tool-kit for the RT, and for me, it makes more sense to buy an empty tool roll and piece together a kit with tools you will actually use.

Stanley Makes a flexible screw driver that accepts Torx type driver bits. This is much easier to use then the "L" shaped Torx keys BMW supplies.

Make sure you have the 50 torx and a proper lever to remove the rear tire nuts, also a 15mm wrench for the muffler clamp. That will get the rear tire off.

R1200ST

gettysburg
Make sure you have the 50 torx and a proper lever to remove the rear tire nuts, also a 15mm wrench for the muffler clamp. That will get the rear tire off.

R1200ST

My tool kit is still a work in progress.

I just want to thank you guys for this post. As soon as I read your remarks I went straight to the garage and inspected my "tool kit" or lack thereof. I was totally and utterly shocked. It is completely worthless. I could not even take the damn wheel off the bike if I had a flat in the middle of nowhere's ville. You can probably tell I am pretty pissed. The tool kit that came with my 93 K11RS could dissasemble the whole bike. How incredibly cheap of BMW to charge $18K or more for this bike and not to put a decent tool kit in it. Unbelievable.

Yes you can make one, but motionpro makes an Alum. insert for the front axel removal. (22mm) it think. Dennis Kirk sells them as well at the torx tools needed to do any thing on the new beemers. wave.gif

Won't some enrgetic person make a list so us lazy people will no what to carry in case of an emergency? dopeslap.gif
something like this?

You're welcome. thumbsup.gif

H

Here is what I put in my kit.

This stuff came in the tool kit from BMW.

1. Straight screwdriver, black wire w/round leads on it.

some type of metal bar and plastic piece to remove

what, I don't know.

Here is what I added

1. Phillips screwdriver

2. T-45 to remove brake calipers

3. T-50 to remove rear wheel lugnuts

4. 15mm deep well socket to loosen exhaust pipe nut

5. Torqux set pictured above w/ T10,15,20,25,27,30 bits

6. Small pair of needle nose pliers w/wire cutter

7. One 3" 3/8" extension bar

8. One 3/8" racket drive (small and measures 5" in lentgh)

9. One 6mm Allen wrench to loosen axle pinch bolt

10. electrical tape-small roll

11. Black zip ties. Quantity 10 or so

12. Fabricated "axle socket" which consists of 2 14mm nuts

welded together and then welded to a 15mm 3/8" drive

socket.

Guys I have taken a picture of my tool kit but unfortunately I do not know how to post pics on this website so if you email me I will send you a pic of my kit. The following parts were purchased at Harbor Freight for a total cost of $25-$30 or so.

1. Phillips screwdriver order # 41270

2. T45/50 torque bit set. Buy item # 91225 which is a 3

piece Caliper set.

3. Needle nose pliers order # 40697

4. Torqux set order # 33895

5. Allen wrench set order # 35718

6. electrical tape, zip ties

7. 4 Piece 3/8" extension set order # ?, cost about $11

Local Hardware store purchases total approx. $15

1. 3/8" racket drive

2. 15mm deep well socket

3. 2 14mm nuts for axle socket

4. 1 15mm standard length socket

Twojam

Your tool kit looks great. I will have to get a larger tool roll to accomodate all of the tools you have in your kit. My tool roll is the one BMW gives you. Pretty small actually.

Ask and you shall recieve! I love this site. Now one more question. How similiar are the GS, RT & ST, tool wise? Are there any specific tools to any specific 1200 model? I have the R1200ST and have only changed a rear tire & oil change so far but fast coming up on a valve adjustment.

Twojam

Your tool kit looks great. I will have to get a larger tool roll to accomodate all of the tools you have in your kit. My tool roll is the one BMW gives you. Pretty small actually.

MY toolkit? Yeah, in my dreams.

To be honest, if I had that extensive a toolkit, I'd probably just end up getting myself in trouble. blush.gif

Ask and you shall recieve! I love this site. Now one more question. How similiar are the GS, RT & ST, tool wise? Are there any specific tools to any specific 1200 model? I have the R1200ST and have only changed a rear tire & oil change so far but fast coming up on a valve adjustment.
The GS needs a spanner wrench for the front suspension but other than that, the toolkit doc'ed up on r1200gs.info would work for all 3 models.

Archived