IGNORED

Low fuel light not working

gazzr11r

Hi , since having my clutch replaced in the shop my low fuel light doesn't work, the bike shop says the float can sometimes stick after a tank removal and should free itself. Well 2 months on and still no low fuel light, I've checked the bulb, any ideas ?

yes sorry it is a 1999 r1100r 60,000 miles. Update on the issue- I ran the tank really low and if you turn the bike on whilst on the side stand the low fuel light will come on and stay on when the bike is upright. If you then turn the bike on while it is upright the low fuel light will not come on, I've even put the bike on the main stand and syphoned most of the fuel out with the ignition on and still no low fuel light. Put the bike on the side stand and turn on the ignition then low fuel light comes on, very strange ! i guess im going to have to remove the pump etc and have a look !

24 minutes ago, gazzr11r said:

yes sorry it is a 1999 r1100r 60,000 miles. Update on the issue- I ran the tank really low and if you turn the bike on whilst on the side stand the low fuel light will come on and stay on when the bike is upright. If you then turn the bike on while it is upright the low fuel light will not come on, I've even put the bike on the main stand and syphoned most of the fuel out with the ignition on and still no low fuel light. Put the bike on the side stand and turn on the ignition then low fuel light comes on, very strange ! i guess im going to have to remove the pump etc and have a look !

Afternoon gazzr11r

Not working straight up but working on the side stand sort of points to not siphoning enough of the fuel out.  

You might siphon it as low as possible then take a gallon of gasoline with you then ride the motorcycle until either the low fuel light comes on or it quits running. 

If the light comes on first then see how far it will go until it runs out of fuel. 

Syphoned all but the dreggs out dirtrider, it should come on with 4 litres left in the tank, there was less than 1 litre approximately left after syphoning. Very odd 🤔🧐

• 3 months later...

Mind if I bump in here if this post's still running?

GS1100, I had my pump in and out so many times I stripped the studs on the tank where the fuel pump plate sits...

Replaced with M6 studs. But the problem is, my low fuel light comes on,after 16 litres. I fill it up, 2 bars from the top is full.

It;s the single float, on the same arm as the gauge, no trickery.

But I've bent the arm, and  need to know, do I bend it up, or down to correct the readout and the low fuel light?

4 hours ago, Fir Cologne said:

Mind if I bump in here if this post's still running?

GS1100, I had my pump in and out so many times I stripped the studs on the tank where the fuel pump plate sits...

Replaced with M6 studs. But the problem is, my low fuel light comes on,after 16 litres. I fill it up, 2 bars from the top is full.

It;s the single float, on the same arm as the gauge, no trickery.

But I've bent the arm, and  need to know, do I bend it up, or down to correct the readout and the low fuel light?

Morning  Fir Cologne

You have hijacked a thread about a different motorcycle, the fuel tank parts are not the same so a reply here could lead future readers to apply incorrect information.

If you start your own thread (you can copy & paste your above into a new thread about YOUR motorcycle ) we will be happy to answer your question. 

Added: I sent the answer to you by personal message on this site so as not to derail the original thread  (check your messages on this site)