Jump to content

Intro to Appalachian Riding group ride or following Bernie to somewhere!


Bernie

Recommended Posts

1357076611_2021FARTSpartaeventdetailsR5.

 

I have offered to lead a group ride on Thursday, Sept 23, 2021 during FART 2021.

The ride is a trial and in response to numerous requests of some sort of organized ride.

It is not just for newbies, the route will include technical sections of roads, but should be all paved.

I would like those attending the ride to also practice how to use their GPS units. I will explain that in more details at the event on Wednesday evening and during the rider meeting (7:30 AM) on Thursday morning. Side-stand up at 8:00 AM. Route length 280-310 miles.

The route will be one of the routes posted for downloading for the FART 2021 event.

So if there is any interest or questions about the ride, please reply to this post.

I will need a head count.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

 

 

Dang... I want to get back there just for the meal alone.

Have a great ride, great meal and a great time! :thumbsup:

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Sonor said:

Wish I could but other plans conflict. Have a great time everybody, one year I will get to meet y'all.

Sorry to hear about your conflicts, but don’t wait to long, we are not getting younger. LOL

Hopefully you can make START 2022.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Rockosmith said:

I’m in.  Also I will be bringing a riding buddy riding 2 up. 

See you guys Wednesday evening.

Link to comment

Bernie, although I will not be tagging along on your well-led group ride, I will definitely attend your GPS presentation.   The more exposure to your navigation knowledge, the more I try to retain.  Looking forward to it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Bernie, although I will not be tagging along on your well-led group ride, I will definitely attend your GPS presentation.   The more exposure to your navigation knowledge, the more I try to retain.  Looking forward to it!

You would be more then welcome to tag along William. The more the merrier.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Bernie said:

You would be more then welcome to tag along William. The more the merrier.

If you do the group ride on Thursday, I'll be tickling the innards on Williams R1250 all day...he can come out to play on Friday or Saturday.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

If you do the group ride on Thursday, I'll be tickling the innards on Williams R1250 all day...he can come out to play on Friday or Saturday.

Sounds like a plan to me. 

Link to comment

Bump! Bump!

Don't be shy. There is plenty of room on this ride. And it don't matter what brand bike you ride, as long as it is safe and doesn't leak stuff.

Or you can also let me know Wednesday evening in Sparta, if you want to come along.

:5210:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, Bernie said:

1357076611_2021FARTSpartaeventdetailsR5.

 

I have offered to lead a group ride on Thursday, Sept 23, 2021 during FART 2021.

The ride is a trial and in response to numerous requests of some sort of organized ride.

It is not just for newbies, the route will include technical sections of roads, but should be all paved.

I would like those attending the ride to also practice how to use their GPS units. I will explain that in more details at the event on Wednesday evening and during the rider meeting (7:30 AM) on Thursday morning. Side-stand up at 8:00 AM. Route length 280-310 miles.

The route will be one of the routes posted for downloading for the FART 2021 event.

So if there is any interest or questions about the ride, please reply to this post.

I will need a head count.

 

I’m planning to join the ride however, I do not have a GPS unit.  Hoping I can just follow along.  

Link to comment

Throw me down as a mebbee.  I'll be departing the maison at around 0600, should put me there for your meeting.  Either way, let me know which route and if I don't make the time, I'll certainly try to catch up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JSCOTT said:

I’m planning to join the ride however, I do not have a GPS unit.  Hoping I can just follow along.  

No problem 

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Throw me down as a mebbee.  I'll be departing the maison at around 0600, should put me there for your meeting.  Either way, let me know which route and if I don't make the time, I'll certainly try to catch up.

I will decide on the route on Wednesday, depending on the weather. But no problem other wise. 

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, TSConver said:

you think you will be back in time for the tech session?

I don’t know for sure. It’s a very flexible thing with me. 😂 

we can discuss this Wednesday evening 

Link to comment

Returning to the Alleghany Inn is always in your hands, just have the Inn as a destination and occasionally activate that route and see when you would get back...usually with the fastest route as default.

 

My plan is to start the work about 0930-1000 each day so that folks that want to watch can have a breakfast and still be able to finish before dark.

 

My sequence for doing the TechDay on both Thurs and Friday will be:

1) Remove lower fairings to access oil filter and drain engine oil

2) Remove all the central fairings up over the fuel tank to access the air filter and change it

3) Replace central fairings back down to the cylinders which will be worked on later

4) Remove panniers and muffler for access to remove rear wheel

5) Drain final drive and remove rear caliper so the final drive can swing down

6) Open rear boot and separate final drive from driveshaft

7) Lube drive splines and boot lips then reconnect final drive

8) Fill final drive with lube

9) Service rear brake caliper and pads, clean rotors

10) Install SpeedBleeders and bleed rear brake

11) Install rear wheel and muffler

 

Approximate point in process for 30-45min lunch break

 

12) Remove and service both front calipers, pads and rotors

13) Install front SpeedBleeders and bleed front brakes

14) Remove both LH and  RH spark plugs and valve covers to access cams/valves

15) Install TDC tool and lock engine at TDC for cam timing check/adjustment

16) Check valve clearance on cylinder that is at TDC

17) Remove cam bearing block to record all shim thickness and adjust as needed

18) Rotate engine so remaining cylinder is at TDC and do steps 15, 16, 17

19) Remove all speciality cam/valve/TDC tools

20) Replace spark plugs, valve covers and clean up cylinders

21) Add engine oil 

22) Connect GS-911, scan bike, reset service reminder

23) Replace lower engine fairings

24) Complete BMW service documentation for warranty 

 

If you are just interested in the Cam timing and valve adjustment on the engine, I estimate that I'll be getting to that around 1400-1500 in the afternoon...just a guess as I never know if there will be a slowdown at any point.

 

 

 

0E5F37E0-574A-4512-AAE5-E204FDF53545_1_105_c.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The Shift Cam Tech Session is on Thursday, so The Follow Bernie For Coffee Ride will not affect Wethead Tech Day on Friday, so @TSConvershould be fine.  Unless you want to see some Shift Cam action.   :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...