IGNORED

2004 1150 GSA issue

Whip

38,000 miles on the bike.

Serviced 1000 miles ago.

During our last road trip after running perfect for over 1000 miles it started sputtering and would not idle even cutting out at low speeds coughing and weazing with intermittent backfires (more like squeaks)

It runs perfect every morning  (when cold) then if I stop for gas or even turn the motor off for 5 minutes it would start the BS all over again.

Does not seem to have a problem once up to highway speeds.

Still has the charcoal canister. (Do these things get clogged up or something?)

Did we get some bad gas?

Is the O2 sensor acting up?

The fuel filter is a few years old should I change it first?

What should I look for?

Whip

24 minutes ago, Whip said:

38,000 miles on the bike.

Serviced 1000 miles ago.

During our last road trip after running perfect for over 1000 miles it started sputtering and would not idle even cutting out at low speeds coughing and weazing with intermittent backfires (more like squeaks)

It runs perfect every morning  (when cold) then if I stop for gas or even turn the motor off for 5 minutes it would start the BS all over again.

Does not seem to have a problem once up to highway speeds.

Still has the charcoal canister. (Do these things get clogged up or something?)

Did we get some bad gas?

Is the O2 sensor acting up?

The fuel filter is a few years old should I change it first?

What should I look for?

Afternoon Whip

Still has the charcoal canister. (Do these things get clogged up or something?)-- Yes, they can get plugged up, do you get a whooshing or sucking sound when you open the fuel filler cap after riding for a while?

Did we get some bad gas?-- Possible, especially if the problem started shortly after the last fill-up.

Is the O2 sensor acting up?-- Again possible, try riding with the o2 sensor disconnected as a test.

The fuel filter is a few years old should I change it first?-- Probably not if you are OK at cruising speeds but the problem only happens at idle (low fuel flow condition).

What should I look for?-- Possibly a fouled lower spark plug as those are way more important at idle & low speeds. Or o2 sensor wire close to R/H lower spark plug wire or hanging down contacting the hot exhaust.  

Might not hurt to also do a compression test as a leaking valve can also cause a problem like you are seeing.

• Like 1

It's just pouting and giving you grief for bringing in a Pan America it has to share a home with :classic_biggrin:  You know how teenagers are...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Whip

Still has the charcoal canister. (Do these things get clogged up or something?)-- Yes, they can get plugged up, do you get a whooshing or sucking sound when you open the fuel filler cap after riding for a while?

Nope

Did we get some bad gas?-- Possible, especially if the problem started shortly after the last fill-up.

Most likely

Is the O2 sensor acting up?-- Again possible, try riding with the o2 sensor disconnected as a test.

Will do

The fuel filter is a few years old should I change it first?-- Probably not if you are OK at cruising speeds but the problem only happens at idle (low fuel flow condition).

Good, cause I hate working inside the tank.

What should I look for?-- Possibly a fouled lower spark plug as those are way more important at idle & low speeds. Or o2 sensor wire close to R/H lower spark plug wire or hanging down contacting the hot exhaust.  

All new plugs is prolly in order anyway.

Might not hurt to also do a compression test as a leaking valve can also cause a problem like you are seeing.

I will try the other stuff first.

Thanks

L