IGNORED

2006 RT, has a slight, ever so slight, surging

Rougarou

action at speed.  I notice more while on cruise, mebbe because the bike holds a more steady speed, but when I'm off cruise, it still has a slight surge.   Doesn't feel sparky,....feels more like a lull/pickup thing

RPM's stay steady, mebbe not enough surge to affect it.  

Ideas?

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

action at speed.  I notice more while on cruise, mebbe because the bike holds a more steady speed, but when I'm off cruise, it still has a slight surge.   Doesn't feel sparky,....feels more like a lull/pickup thing

RPM's stay steady, mebbe not enough surge to affect it.  

Ideas?

Thanks

Morning Rougarou

Lots of possibilities on this. 

Tell us when it started doing this, was it a sudden appearance? 

If it just came on suddenly then maybe it is due to bad gasoline. 

If it has been there through a few tanks of fuel then possibly an o2 sensor issue, or stick coil starting to go out, or FPC causing issues, or  throttle body balance issue, or ?????

That problem will be difficult to find without a GS-911 to trap engine data (when the problem is actually happening) looking for fueling   control issues or fueling  inconsistencies. 

If your TB cross side (above idle) balance is off then suspect cracked throttle body cams (at least  place to start). 

Also, might not hurt to check your valve adjustment. 

19 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou

Lots of possibilities on this. 

Tell us when it started doing this, was it a sudden appearance? 

If it just came on suddenly then maybe it is due to bad gasoline. 

If it has been there through a few tanks of fuel then possibly an o2 sensor issue, or stick coil starting to go out, or FPC causing issues, or  throttle body balance issue, or ?????

That problem will be difficult to find without a GS-911 to trap engine data (when the problem is actually happening) looking for fueling   control issues or fueling  inconsistencies. 

If your TB cross side (above idle) balance is off then suspect cracked throttle body cams (at least  place to start). 

Also, might not hurt to check your valve adjustment. 

It's been going on for a few months.  I alternate riding the RT and GSA-one week the RT, the next week the GSA, so it gets regular use.

I've had one stick go out about 30k miles ago, replaced with a used one.

I'll balance the bodies and pull the cans to check the valves.  No 911, and don't know if motoscan can run while riding (haven't tried that yet).

Thanks much, got me a few places to start looking.  It's almost unnoticeable, that's how slight it is.

10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

It's been going on for a few months.  I alternate riding the RT and GSA-one week the RT, the next week the GSA, so it gets regular use.

I've had one stick go out about 30k miles ago, replaced with a used one.

I'll balance the bodies and pull the cans to check the valves.  No 911, and don't know if motoscan can run while riding (haven't tried that yet).

Thanks much, got me a few places to start looking.  It's almost unnoticeable, that's how slight it is.

Morning Rougarou

You might also try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes then do a new TPS re-learn, especially if your battery went dead, or was replaced recently.

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Also, could this spacer thingy have anything to do with it?,.......like finally deteriorating due to being in the fuel for a couple of years.

Morning Rougarou

I wouldn't think so as it should be fuel resistant so it should just be sitting in there not causing any problems. 

5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou

You might also try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes then do a new TPS re-learn, especially if your battery went dead, or was replaced recently.

Thanks much, I'll give that a go first as it seems the simplest place to start

3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rougarou

I wouldn't think so as it should be fuel resistant so it should just be sitting in there not causing any problems. 

Ok, been meaning to take it out, but don't really want to remove the pump if it isn't an issue.