IGNORED

2013 F700GS questions

TSConver

Just bought the wife a bike.  2013 F700GS. 10k miles.  Anything I need to do to it?  Maintenance I should just do to be safe?  Tires are 2 years old but good tread. Will change the oil first off.   Probably the air filter.  How are these on valve adjustment?  I think the first one is at 12K?

20210827_191208.jpg

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Just bought the wife a bike.  2013 F700GS. 10k miles.  Anything I need to do to it?  Maintenance I should just do to be safe?  Tires are 2 years old but good tread. Will change the oil first off.   Probably the air filter.  How are these on valve adjustment?  I think the first one is at 12K?

Afternoon TSConver

Valve adjustment is a REAL PAIN IN THE A$$, you need to remove a lot of things then work way down in between those narrow frame rails. Hopefully they just need checking & are OK as that is a lot less work. It really helps to cut the zip ties on the wire harness then move it way out of the way. 

If it were my 2013, 700 I would add a battery charge voltage indicator as those older BMW 700/800 bikes had a number of stator failures. Fortunately the 700 was better than the 800 in that department. Without an indictor your first indicator will be the battery going dead (usually while riding then stopping)   

Look closely at the outside edges of the fuel tank as those were noted for cracking along the edges.

If you get a chance check the front chain sprocket for being tight, some were not tightened correctly, if the sprocket chucks on the splines it will ruin the splines. 

Looks like AltRider crash bars, those hold up good but you might find they buzz at certain RPM's. 

If all is good that should make your wife a good motorcycle.  

• 1 month later...

F650/F7000/F800 are very reliable machines. I do a little wrenching on BMW motorcycles and worked on numerous BMW models. In my opinion, it is one of the most reliable BMW motorcycles. Build quality is excellent. Just do the regular maintenance as per BMW recommendation, nothing special. And yes, as dirtrider mentioned, it is quite delicate for valve adjustment in the rare occasions when it is needed.

The stator failure was not uncommon on these models due to the design of magnetic wheel/rotor of the alternator, but some time around 03.2012 BMW changed the design to resolve this issue. Yours being 2013 F700GS, most certainly has the new type.