IGNORED

Flummoxed by Nav V

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Opened the FART route file in Basecamp. 

Attached Nav V to computer

Sent files to Nav V User Data on the micro SD card

Routes did not recalculate before sending

On starting Nav V, it did not ask me to import the routes.

Began to import manually and the routes were taking an extraordinary long time to import.

Retried sending routes to Nav V internal fixed storage.

Routes recalculated before sending.

That was 2 hours ago and only 3 routes are completely imported with the remaining routes likely taking a day or so to import.

Pls tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

TIA.

33 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Opened the FART route file in Basecamp. 

Attached Nav V to computer

Sent files to Nav V User Data on the micro SD card

Routes did not recalculate before sending

On starting Nav V, it did not ask me to import the routes.

Began to import manually and the routes were taking an extraordinary long time to import.

Retried sending routes to Nav V internal fixed storage.

Routes recalculated before sending.

That was 2 hours ago and only 3 routes are completely imported with the remaining routes likely taking a day or so to import.

Pls tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

TIA.

AFternoon John

I don't know but can suggest that you open your GPS drives on you computer to see if internal or external Garmin folder is nearly full. 

If drives still have room then try sending a simple route to see how your GPS imports that (possibly your routes are corrupt or way too large) 

If a smaller or simpler route works then try breaking your route up into day segments or even pre noon & afternoon individual routes.   

Personally I usually break a longer route up into day1, day2, etc--  or even day1a & day1b, day2a & day2b, etc. That way if I have a portion of the route go crazy it doesn't corrupt the entire trip route.  

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

AFternoon John

I don't know but can suggest that you open your GPS drives on you computer to see if internal or external Garmin folder is nearly full. 

If drives still have room then try sending a simple route to see how your GPS imports that (possibly your routes are corrupt or way too large) 

If a smaller or simpler route works then try breaking your route up into day segments or even pre noon & afternoon individual routes.   

Personally I usually break a longer route up into day1, day2, etc--  or even day1a & day1b, day2a & day2b, etc. That way if I have a portion of the route go crazy it doesn't corrupt the entire trip route.  

Thanks, DR. 

I deleted all routes from internal storage and SD card

Did a hard reset of the Nav V

Sent FART routes to internal storage.  The routes recalculated, appear to be sent but do not appear in the internal storage GPX folder.  So, you're likely correct about a space issue.

Re-sent FART routes to SD card.  Appeared to copy and they appear in the card's GPX folder.

On starting, Nav V notified that routes available for importing.

Started import.  Routes importing at super slow speed.

I guess it doesn't matter as the Nav 4 isn't needed 'til FART.  Hoping they'll be imported by that time.:(

Thanks, again.

27 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Thanks, DR. 

I deleted all routes from internal storage and SD card

Did a hard reset of the Nav V

Sent FART routes to internal storage.  The routes recalculated, appear to be sent but do not appear in the internal storage GPX folder.  So, you're likely correct about a space issue.

Re-sent FART routes to SD card.  Appeared to copy and they appear in the card's GPX folder.

On starting, Nav V notified that routes available for importing.

Started import.  Routes importing at super slow speed.

I guess it doesn't matter as the Nav 4 isn't needed 'til FART.  Hoping they'll be imported by that time.:(

Thanks, again.

Afternoon John

Once you get the routes into your GPS you should probably re-connect to BaseCamp then download those installed/imported routes back into BaseCamp for a close inspection. 

Your Nav V can only handle so many points per route,  then it starts to truncate them (removing a number of routing guidance points).

If it removes enough, or removes key points, that could easily change your route as the GPS sees it. 

The time to find things like that are "NOW" before you are part way through your trip.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pulled them all into Basecamp and then sent to the memory card on my Nav 5.  The Nav 5 didn't ask me to import.  I opened Trip Planner and pulled them all in without issue.  It took the normal amount of time.  The routes seem to be broken down into segments already.  Hope this helps John

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I pulled them all into Basecamp and then sent to the memory card on my Nav 5.  The Nav 5 didn't ask me to import.  I opened Trip Planner and pulled them all in without issue.  It took the normal amount of time.  The routes seem to be broken down into segments already.  Hope this helps John

Thanks.  I attached the V to laptop and deleted all GPX files from internal memory and SD card then did a hard reset of the V.  I opened the route file and sent them to the SD card.  They did not recalculate as they normally do when sending to internal memory.  I imported all the segments and it import them slowly, but it's done.

Thanks for sharing you experience.

The GPS will not recalculate a route if you send it to the SD card. It will recalculate the route when you import the route from the SD card into the GPS hard drive/memory, IF the route was made using a different version of map data. 

Now that the routes are in your Trip Planner App on your GPS, open each route and check the Total Distance:  in the right portion of the window, of the route with the mileage in the name of the route. 

If this does not match, you can go to the top left corner and select the 3 bars. Then scroll down to Transportation Mode. Select it, then select Automobile. Select Save, the route will recalculate. Then select  Transportion Mode again, select Motorcycle and Save. Then use the Back arrow to exit out of the Edit menu and recheck the Total Distance: compared to the mileage in the name of the route.

Yes I know it is a strange Song&Dance, and you have to do it for each route, to get accurate information. But it is something I been having to do since the Garmin Zumo 590 was released.

Also please note that if you copy&paste the routes into the GPX folder of the GPS hard drive, you will not see the individual routes, waypoints or tracks stored in that folder in the Windows or Apple directories.

To see what is stored in the GPS drive, you will have to open BaseCamp and view the info there. 

But you should get a notice when you turn on your GPS that there are new routes to be imported. This last notice will not appear if you copy&paste the routes into the SD card. If you use the SD card, you have to manually import the routes into the GPS. 

Also please make sure you are using a Garmin Data USB cable and not a charging cable.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, Bernie said:

The GPS will not recalculate a route if you send it to the SD card. It will recalculate the route when you import the route from the SD card into the GPS hard drive/memory, IF the route was made using a different version of map data. 

Now that the routes are in your Trip Planner App on your GPS, open each route and check the Total Distance:  in the right portion of the window, of the route with the mileage in the name of the route. 

If this does not match, you can go to the top left corner and select the 3 bars. Then scroll down to Transportation Mode. Select it, then select Automobile. Select Save, the route will recalculate. Then select  Transportion Mode again, select Motorcycle and Save. Then use the Back arrow to exit out of the Edit menu and recheck the Total Distance: compared to the mileage in the name of the route.

Yes I know it is a strange Song&Dance, and you have to do it for each route, to get accurate information. But it is something I been having to do since the Garmin Zumo 590 was released.

Also please note that if you copy&paste the routes into the GPX folder of the GPS hard drive, you will not see the individual routes, waypoints or tracks stored in that folder in the Windows or Apple directories.

To see what is stored in the GPS drive, you will have to open BaseCamp and view the info there. 

But you should get a notice when you turn on your GPS that there are new routes to be imported. This last notice will not appear if you copy&paste the routes into the SD card. If you use the SD card, you have to manually import the routes into the GPS. 

Also please make sure you are using a Garmin Data USB cable and not a charging cable.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Bernie.  They said there'd be no math involved.:)

56 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Good afternoon, David. 5 of the routes are broken into a route leading from FART21 to a “destination” and then there are multiple return routes of different length back to FART21.

3 of the routes are loop routes.

And 1 route #9 has dirt road segments scattered within. It also has been split into 2 sections, due to a problem with City Navigator NA 2022.20.

Let me know if you have some further questions.

2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Thanks, Bernie.  They said there'd be no math involved.:)

No math, only push, swipe, tap and a 360 turn around and then start all over, its like the Waltz or something. LOL:3:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
17 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Your Nav V can only handle so many points per route,  then it starts to truncate them (removing a number of routing guidance points).

Any idea what the limit is, and whether it's applicable to other models (e.g. Zumo 595)?

8 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Any idea what the limit is, and whether it's applicable to other models (e.g. Zumo 595)?

Morning Mitch 

As far as I know they all have limits, I can't say what they are by device but  that should be available from Garmin. 

As I mentioned above,  I break my routes up into each day, or even each into 2 per day (pre & post lunch break (day1a/ day1b) so I haven't had to deal with the limits for years now. 

I think some of the newer Garmin devices automatically break the routes up for the user.  

The big problems I have seen in the past is when a rider tries to turn a complicated track into a route as those tracks have way too many points to be converted to a route without major truncating. 

I usually make my own routes even if I have a furnished  route from someone else (that way "I" control the via point placement). But on the occasions  that  I do use someone else's  route I upload it to my GPS, then allow it to import &  recalculate. THEN, I upload that (possibly changed) route back into BaseCamp & overlay it over the original (furnished route) to compare turn by turn  (I make the original route green & my imported route red). They better match exactly or I make the appropriate changes to make them match.  

I believe the Newer Garmin unit (Zumo590&newer) that use Trip Planer, have a limit of 25 Waypoints ( plus Start& End points) per route. But these GPS units also allow you up to be 125 Shaping/ViaPoints Points (silent points) between each Waypoint. 
I believe it is best to create a Track from a shared route, then duplicate the shared route. Recalculate that route and compare it to the original route and the track. Then upload the corrected Route and the track to the GPS. Import and  recalculate the route and then compare the route and the track on the GPS screen by overlaying both. Then you can correct any problems with the route in BaseCamp and reimport the route to the GPS. 

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

I believe the Newer Garmin unit (Zumo590&newer) that use Trip Planer, have a limit of 25 Waypoints ( plus Start& End points) per route. But these GPS units also allow you up to be 125 Shaping/ViaPoints Points (silent points) between each Waypoint. 

I think the limit is actually a little higher - 30 via points per route (including start & end), with the 125 shaping points between via points.  If you import a route with more than 30 via points, it will be split into multiple routes by the 590/595/XT/ Nav V/Nav VI.

Tracks are limited to 15,000 points.

Converting tracks into routes on the GPS or in Basecamp works pretty well, but the result only has start and end points This causes problems if you get off route and need to recalculate - you will be sent directly to the end point.  Best to make the conversion in Basecamp and add some via points along the way. Grab the route with the hand tool and the ALT key (WIndows), drag it to the side and right back to the original position.

• Plus 1 1

I imported the FART21 gpx file into basecamp. I reviewed the basecamp instructions pdf file and made sure to get all the options configured per the instruction pdf, prior to importing. I duplicated the routes and recalced them. All the mileage numbers matched. I then sent them to the Nav V SD card. In trip planner I manually selected all the routes for import. Importing took several hours. I then had to import the tracks. This was not as slow. I also set the NAV V options prior to importing the routes and tracks. I am hoping this process worked correctly. Let me know if you think I need to inspect the routes and tracks further to ensure they are in the NAV V correctly.

• Like 1

Good evening, Toter.

I think you should be set.

The tracks don't change, since the GPS unit do not modify them.

You can check the routes if you want.

In your Trip Planner App on your GPS, open each route and check the "Total Distance:",  in the right part of the window, of the route with the mileage in the name of the route. 

I wrote up a PDF with pictures a few years ago.

Checking Routes in Zumo-Nav.pdf 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Toter said:

I imported the FART21 gpx file into basecamp. I reviewed the basecamp instructions pdf file and made sure to get all the options configured per the instruction pdf, prior to importing. I duplicated the routes and recalced them. All the mileage numbers matched. I then sent them to the Nav V SD card. In trip planner I manually selected all the routes for import. Importing took several hours. I then had to import the tracks. This was not as slow. I also set the NAV V options prior to importing the routes and tracks. I am hoping this process worked correctly. Let me know if you think I need to inspect the routes and tracks further to ensure they are in the NAV V correctly.

What version of the maps do you have in your GPS? That can make a difference for the speed and accuracy of the import function. 

1 hour ago, RT_Jim said:

What version of the maps do you have in your GPS? That can make a difference for the speed and accuracy of the import function. 

Installed maps are 2022.10, Currently installing 2022.20.

• Like 1

There is a newer version - 2022.20. Again, the only thing this will help is the speed at the import. Everything else should remain the same. 

• Like 1

The routes for FART 21 where made with 2022.20! And the newest version of BaseCamp for Mac, plus I verified the routes in the latest version of BaseCamp for Windows. 
Unfortantly my scouting riders never returned. 😢

I guess they are riding around enjoying themselves! 😉

2 hours ago, Toter said:

Installed maps are 2022.10, Currently installing 2022.20.

Afternoon Toter

Personally I would re-calculate the route in your new 2022.2 mapping, it probably won't make much difference but your routes were calculated in using 2022.1 so if a one-way road was changed, or freshly opened traffic circle was not there on the 2022.1 map  then that could be a confusing area for your GPS to deal with.