IGNORED

Getting sprayed by driver using windshield washer

Chalemagne

So a couple days ago I was on highway 290 between Fredericksburg and Comfort Texas, minding my own business, not speeding, but not going slow either, and I pulled up behind this new red Toyota who was doing about 65 in a 70 zone. No big deal, I slowed down and got myself ready to pass, when all of a sudden I was (literally) doused in windshield washer fluid for about 10 seconds. Completely blinded I slowed down and frantically wiped my face screen with one hand and kept control of the bike in a curve with the other. So once I had myself back under control you know what I did. I pulled up next to his door and gave him the hello wave, thinking that he did it on accident. Well the guy completely ignored me. So now I am thinking, he did it on purpose. So I moved back behind him and followed him into town waiting for a chance to talk with him. So he gets into town, and makes the green light and keeps going. So I get up again (two lane road now) and wave at him again, this time he could not miss my signal, and he again ignores me.

So now I am fuming. So being the nice guy that I am , I pull out in front of him and turn around and wave at him, and this time he gives me the move over sign, so I politely flip him the "your number one" sign and accelerate away.

I cannot imagine what would make a person do that. If I had something to throw at him, I would have put it right through his windshield. I am still mad about it.

R

Brodiepunker18

It’s crazy how people legitimately don’t care about anyone but themselves. I’ve caught lit cigarettes tossed out the window at me on the highway. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

I can appreciate how pissed off you got but it may have been unintentional.

The wind at 65 mph can take the fluid up and over the car. And he was more than likely, oblivious to you behind him.

Or he could of just been a peckerhead. :classic_biggrin:

But, a single person in the car, no smirk, no reaction at all. He probably didn’t have a clue.

• Like 2

It happens all the time, I just chalk it up to people not paying attention, but mostly not realizing that the fluid sprays back over us. Lit cigarettes are a treat too. Motorcycles are fun!

• Like 3

I've got the windshield wiper juice, mostly overspray, no big deal, usually don't take it personally.  I know not to ride behind cattle trucks.  What really gets me riled up is tobacco juice spit out the pickup truck window.  I've considered carrying a container of cat poop so I can unobtrusivly follow them to their destination, leave their vehicle, then smear the poop all over their widshield and door handles with a note explaining why their mother should have taught them it's impolite to spit on other people.

21 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I've got the windshield wiper juice, mostly overspray, no big deal, usually don't take it personally.  I know not to ride behind cattle trucks.  What really gets me riled up is tobacco juice spit out the pickup truck window.  I've considered carrying a container of cat poop so I can unobtrusivly follow them to their destination, leave their vehicle, then smear the poop all over their widshield and door handles with a note explaining why their mother should have taught them it's impolite to spit on other people.

It wouldn't work with contemporary cars where you have to unlatch the hood from inside, but I remember a story, "What We Did with That Bottle of Skunk Oil," by WWII cartoonist Bill Mauldin.

He and a friend saw an ad in the back of a comic book on how to make money by selling musk oil. They collected a mason jar of skunk oil, before finding out that it was worthless. A nasty old man neighbor pissed off Mauldin and his friend, so in the middle of the night they opened the hood on his truck, and poured their liquid gold on the exhaust manifold. The smell never went away.

• Haha 3

I pay no attention to lousy inattentive drivers, keeps the blood pressure down.  Prefer to save my wrath for politicians and the incessant injury lawyer ads on TV. 

• Like 3

For a slightly delayed reaction, a can of cheap cat food, or a can of sardines, put on the exhaust manifold will do the trick, too.  You just cannot outrun the stench.

2 minutes ago, mickeym3 said:

I pay no attention to lousy inattentive drivers, keeps the blood pressure down.  Prefer to save my wrath for politicians and the incessant injury lawyer ads on TV. 

I'm the opposite:  I pay close attention to inattentive drivers (they may harm me) and ignore ALL the politicians and lawyers.  "...keeps the blood pressure down."  

• Like 1

I pay close attention to inattentive drivers, but mostly dismiss their ineptness. If I reacted to every situation I would be distracted for most of my ride.

7 hours ago, Chalemagne said:

So once I had myself back under control you know what I did. I pulled up next to his door and gave him the hello wave, thinking that he did it on accident. Well the guy completely ignored me. So now I am thinking, he did it on purpose. So I moved back behind him and followed him into town waiting for a chance to talk with him... If I had something to throw at him, I would have put it right through his windshield. I am still mad about it.

R

If you are seeking approval for your actions; they were completely inappropriate for the circumstances.  Confronting any driver on the road is simply aggravating the situation and asking for trouble.

Tom

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
21 minutes ago, TPadden said:

If you are seeking approval for your actions; they were completely inappropriate for the circumstances.  Confronting any driver on the road is simply aggravating the situation and asking for trouble.

Tom

Yeah, well, sometimes F 'em!

Chalemagne.. I’ve ridden those roads many times. 290 is always interesting. Next time just stop in Fredericksburg and have a nice German brew or ease on down to Lueckenbach and chill to some tunes

Yesterday alone in Houston there were 3 road range shootings/deaths. As you know nearly every one here carries especially now with the new law that doesn’t require a permit. 

ive been squirted many times especially during love bug season and I seriously doubt it was intentional 

Motorcycle and car in a fight?  You will always lose

Safe travels

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I'm the opposite:  I pay close attention to inattentive drivers (they may harm me) and ignore ALL the politicians and lawyers.  "...keeps the blood pressure down."  

If you ever have a chance to pass through Georgia, check out the Georgia Guidestones. These 10 precepts are engraved in 8 different languages. Number 7 is my favorite:

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
  2. Guide reproduction wisely—improving fitness and diversity.
  3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
  4. Rule passion—faith—tradition—and all things with tempered reason.
  5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
  6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
  7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
  8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
  9. Prize truth—beauty—love—seeking harmony with the infinite.
  10. Be not a cancer on the Earth—Leave room for nature—Leave room for nature.

They were erected in 1979, and to this day the true identity of "JC Christian" remains unknown.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Selden said:

If you ever have a chance to pass through Georgia, check out the Georgia Guidestones. These 10 precepts are engraved in 8 different languages. Number 7 is my favorite:

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
  2. Guide reproduction wisely—improving fitness and diversity.
  3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
  4. Rule passion—faith—tradition—and all things with tempered reason.
  5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
  6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
  7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
  8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
  9. Prize truth—beauty—love—seeking harmony with the infinite.
  10. Be not a cancer on the Earth—Leave room for nature—Leave room for nature.

They were erected in 1979, and to this day the true identity of "JC Christian" remains unknown.

Hey, Selden!!

"Been there, done that."  Erie place.  Strange location.  Long, hot ride.   But I'm in agreement with the message.

I'm more practical with my politics currently.  I say we bring back Tar and Feathering.  A very effective ceremony that brings widespread results with amazing rapidity.

image.thumb.png.b341dc9d3803d51a45836bd0ba574ace.png

image.png.d8ace8951ef73df257295354c160b3f5.png

I usually ride far enough behind cars that their inadequacy and idiocy is predictable, including washer spray. I rarely overtake, unless there is a big differential between the speed  they are doing and the speed I want to do. And as long as it is an open, easy pass that I can start a good distance back, rather than hang on their rear quarter waiting for an opening. 

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that this was intentional…or that the driver even realized you were in back of him. As others have pointed out, a fair number of drivers don’t realize that their washers can end up dousing following motorists.

This is not a criticism of the OP, but I think that often in criticizing other riders and drivers we tend to forget the times when we’ve lost concentration or just pulled boneheaded moves. There have been times when I am pretty confident that drivers were jacking around with me, but generally it seems to be a result of inattention, and not malice. 

Regardless, it’s generally not a winning game to chase down an offender. Anger and physics are weighted against the motorcyclist.

• Like 3
  • Mike locked this topic

Folks, we were duped, so this thread has been locked. Due to the detective work of Joe Frickin’ Friday, we determined that the OP’s post was a cut and paste from a post made years ago by a different member. We don’t know what the game is, but we’re not playing.

Incidentally, Mitch (Joe Frickin’ Friday), Chris, and the others operating behind the scenes are constantly locked in a battle against the forces of internet evil, culling out spammers and other ne’er-do-wells. On this one, I have to give a tip of the hat to Mitch, who, after having suspicions, tracked down the OP’s IP address (in Europe) and found the original post. Good work, Mitch!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 2