Jump to content

Want to Upgrade my Horn - Any Recommendations?


Bob_1978

Recommended Posts

Bob_1978

Here's what I'm looking for:

- a simple horn upgrade that is louder than the "meep meep" from my 2013 RT

- I don't need to sound like a semi truck or a locomotive - I would settle for a car-like horn similar to what my 2004RT put out

- a single unit that is simple to install and won't require 3 hours /  $300 in installation labor

- a unit that won't tax the canbus / electrical system

- quality build

 

I'll spend up to $100 for something that will last.

 

Any advice is appreciated!

Link to comment

Worked well for me.  BMW auto horn 997 635 205 04.  It has a snout but that is easily worked around.  Uses same elect plug too.  Deer and buzzards have all been warned by this horn....so far!  Can be had for < 30.00

Link to comment

I bought the Denali Sound Bomb Mini and the jumper harness they sell for the R1200RT.  Fits like the original and the jumper eliminates cutting any wires.  The prices is very reasonable.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, texRT2 said:

Worked well for me.  BMW auto horn 997 635 205 04.  It has a snout but that is easily worked around.  Uses same elect plug too.  Deer and buzzards have all been warned by this horn....so far!  Can be had for < 30.00

Thanks for the pointer. I've been looking for a replacement horn for my F700GS, and didn't want to mess around with connectors. This appears to be plug and play.

 

That part number appears to come up on Amazon, labeled as a Porsche horn. 

https://www.amazon.com/997-635-205-04-2005-2013-Porsche-Note-Horn/dp/B00DJ6BORK/

 

Similarly, searching eBay for 996 635 205 04 returns a bunch of options, with prices all over the place.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Selden said:

Thanks for the pointer. I've been looking for a replacement horn for my F700GS, and didn't want to mess around with connectors. This appears to be plug and play.

 

That part number appears to come up on Amazon, labeled as a Porsche horn. 

https://www.amazon.com/997-635-205-04-2005-2013-Porsche-Note-Horn/dp/B00DJ6BORK/

 

Similarly, searching eBay for 996 635 205 04 returns a bunch of options, with prices all over the place.

Wasn't wearing glasses!

Link to comment
Bob_1978

Thanks all for the advice.  But I'm a bit confused and sorry if I'm dense - Selden, will the Porsche horn be plug and play with the 2013 RT?

 

Appreciate confirmation before I buy it

Link to comment
On 8/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, texRT2 said:

Worked well for me.  BMW auto horn 997 635 205 04.  It has a snout but that is easily worked around.  Uses same elect plug too.  Deer and buzzards have all been warned by this horn....so far!  Can be had for < 30.00

I’m considering this option, my BMW dealership has the car horn in stock. This is the part number I got from another thread:

 

https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW__/Horn--low-pitch/43818293/61338381271.html


Did you have to do any mods to install?

And how much, if any, of the tupperware did you have to remove?

Link to comment
On 8/29/2021 at 11:21 PM, Yango said:

I’m considering this option, my BMW dealership has the car horn in stock. This is the part number I got from another thread:

 

https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW__/Horn--low-pitch/43818293/61338381271.html


Did you have to do any mods to install?

And how much, if any, of the tupperware did you have to remove?

No body parts need be removed.  Will have to fiddle with bracket as in a little persuasion (bending) because of the snorkle on the horn.  Do not remember but it's possible I used the bracket off the stocker as it may be longer.  Plugs right in for power

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
Bob_1978

Thanks to all for the advice.

 

I ended up with the Clarton low tone horn for less than $30.  Same wiring as OEM high tone horn so it was plug and play.

 

MUCH louder!

 

Google search:  Clarton horn 997-635-205-04

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...