IGNORED

Looking for a recommendation

Brodiepunker18

Brodiepunker18

Hey all!

As I’m riding my RT more, I’m realizing that I need a more comfortable and better helmet.

I have always worn a full face icon helmet, and my past couple have included a drop down visor which is invaluable considering I wear glasses and ride both at night and in the daytime.

however their newest helmet with it I can’t comfortably wear because the pads are too tight and I can’t get my glasses on.the way they have the pads isn’t great.they keep changing the shape of the helmet.

On to the recommendation…Im interested in a modular helmet with the drop down visor. But I also want the Bluetooth headset as well. Is there any helmets you recommend for comfort and safety over another? And one that ticks the boxes I’m looking for?

thanks!

Eric

1 hour ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

Is there any helmets you recommend for comfort and safety over another?

Comfort is directly related to :

•  Your head shape
    • as you probably know, helmets are designed for generalized head shapes ... some more exacting than others  and even within a single manufacture,  different models can fit different head shapes. 
  • Your budget
    • it is an old adage, but mostly true ... you get what you pay for. Premium materials and design can make a difference.
    • doesn't mean you won't find something that works for you, its just that without knowing your affordability range, getting suggestions for $600 + helmets might be unproductive 

You really will need to try on as many helmets as possible from various brands and styles that also meet your budget, commo and sun shade requirements. 

I've gone through a lot of helmets fixed and modular, both inexpensive and premium with different commo set ups.  I've settled on Arai and Cardo ... which works for me, but unfortunately doesn't match your requirements as its an old school full face, no sun shade helmet with clamp on commo.

Good luck in your search !!

Brodiepunker18

I appreciate it. I know you get what you pay for with anything, especially gear, with helmets being #1 in that area.

I’d like to keep it around 5-600 max for price. 

i think the icon helmets have gotten more oval shaped over the years which is why I’m struggling with them. I’d guess my head shape is more round to mid oval shaped. To be fair, I have only had icon and a hjc helmet once(which I hated). 

i definitely appreciate the candor, @chrisolson

I bought a KLIM TK1200 modular a couple years ago from MotorcycleGear.com. What I like is it comes with a Transitions shield so no more need for an internal dropdown tinted shield. I also wear glasses ,progressive bi/tri focals. Not having another layer of plastic is much easier on my eyes by end of day. 

That site has a clearance model if you dont mind dark or regular price within your budget. Now I must say getting the helmet on is tight over my ears but once on feels great. And there are cutouts to install helmet speakers from SENA or Cardio, etc. See if they have the 'lidpicker' helmet fitting tool also. Great people and easy returns.

Brodiepunker18
3 hours ago, BobW03 said:

I bought a KLIM TK1200 modular a couple years ago from MotorcycleGear.com. What I like is it comes with a Transitions shield so no more need for an internal dropdown tinted shield. I also wear glasses ,progressive bi/tri focals. Not having another layer of plastic is much easier on my eyes by end of day. 

That site has a clearance model if you dont mind dark or regular price within your budget. Now I must say getting the helmet on is tight over my ears but once on feels great. And there are cutouts to install helmet speakers from SENA or Cardio, etc. See if they have the 'lidpicker' helmet fitting tool also. Great people and easy returns.

I found a shop near me that had my size…going on it’s fine and it’s comfortable on…however when I take it off it’s tight on my ears. Have you noticed that at all? Will that go away when it breaks in? The shop won’t match the price on motorcyclegear so I’m gonna order it online.while they still have it.

and I’m ALWAYS looking for a bargain. Saving money in one place for last years model means extra money for something else. lol

12 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I found a shop near me that had my size…going on it’s fine and it’s comfortable on…however when I take it off it’s tight on my ears. Have you noticed that at all? Will that go away when it breaks in? The shop won’t match the price on motorcyclegear so I’m gonna order it online.while they still have it.

and I’m ALWAYS looking for a bargain. Saving money in one place for last years model means extra money for something else. lol

If it doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable while your wearing it you should be fine.  If you are thinking it will break in, look elsewhere. My helmets have broken in a bit over time, but it was quite a bit of time and they were comfortable to start with.

Brodiepunker18
Just now, eddd said:

If it doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable while your wearing it you should be fine.  If you are thinking it will break in, look elsewhere. My helmets have broken in a bit over time, but it was quite a bit of time and they were comfortable to start with.

when I tried it on, it went on fine and was comfortable and fine while wearing it. It only hurt pulling it off because it pulled at my ears. Otherwise no issues. 

Brodiepunker18

I’ve legitimately ONLY worn Icon helmets and tried one HJC helmet once and that helmet was horrible. So trying a new helmet from someone else is new territory. 

Look at the HJC RPHA 90. Just bought one. Light. Quiet. Great fitting and dark enough drop down visor. Comes with clear pinlock shield....with the pinlock included ( hoping to get away from carrying extra shield...). The BIG DEAL to me about this helmet is that it integrates the SENA commications system. Has a built in area for the battery, channels for the wiring, snap in formed area for speakers. This all makes the external unit MUCH smaller and less likely to grab onto your gear and "beep" every time you turn your head!

• Thanks 1

I have the "long oval" head shape and find the Shoei Neotec 2 helmet, modular, dropdown tinted visor, ratchet strap, and compartment/channels for the Sena SRL comms.  The only problems are that the Sena system does not accomodate earphones (plugphone, earbud type) so I had to improvise, Sena is ok with one maybe two other riders but range is limited, and mine died two months out of warranty (not the battery).  No help from Sena.

I removed it, went to the Cycle Gear around the corner and bought the Cardo Bold.  It mounts nicely on the side, great comms quality, sound, range, large groups ("Mesh" software), phone app (with controls), hardware, replacement parts, support, etc, etc.

Before the Neotec 2 I had the LS2 Strobe, VERY similar the the Neotec but no internal comms accomodations. 

My brother, who has an even more of an "odd shaped" head than I do usually has to modify the internal padding on new helmets to relieve pressure points, sometimes by lightly "sculpting" the styrofoam with a Dremel.  I know, I know, "Perish the thought!!", but it works for him.

Brodiepunker18
53 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Look at the HJC RPHA 90. Just bought one. Light. Quiet. Great fitting and dark enough drop down visor. Comes with clear pinlock shield....with the pinlock included ( hoping to get away from carrying extra shield...). The BIG DEAL to me about this helmet is that it integrates the SENA commications system. Has a built in area for the battery, channels for the wiring, snap in formed area for speakers. This all makes the external unit MUCH smaller and less likely to grab onto your gear and "beep" every time you turn your head!

that does sound nice for the wiring of the sena…however I’m real iffy on hjc after the one I had. I wasn’t impressed. It was like wearing a brick between noise and discomfort. Granted that was almost 15 years ago, but the memories remain.

Brodiepunker18
1 minute ago, Lowndes said:

I removed it, went to the Cycle Gear around the corner and bought the Cardo Bold.  It mounts nicely on the side, great comms quality, sound, range, large groups ("Mesh" software), phone app (with controls), hardware, replacement parts, support, etc, etc.

Before the Neotec 2 I had the LS2 Strobe, VERY similar the the Neotec but no internal comms accomodations. 

do you have any issues with the Cardo? I’m kinda torn between which to get. They’re both similar in price however I do know the cardo is fully waterproof whereas the sena is only water resistant 

NO issues with the Cardo, quite the opposite from my experience with Sena.  Our "group" doing the START/FART switched over from Sena to Cardo about a year ago after one of the electronic gurus there "looked into it" after many issues with the Senas.  I believe there are several threads here on the subject.

• Thanks 1

Cardo Packtalk Black is what I went with.  Why?  Not sure, as it was the latest item offered.   The best I can tell the differences between that one and Bold is:

Black                                                     Bold

44 mm speakers                                 40 mm speakers

3 year warranty                                    2 year warranty

sleek, premium, black design            -  ?

One thing about the most recent Cardo offerings is that they state the unit is waterproof, which I would translate to water resistant.  That would be a plus over the Sena, but Laura uses Sena 20S Evo on her Shark helmet for over 2 years now.  We dang sure went through some rain events, plus an icey fog on the Cherahola (26 F) on the way to FART in Maggie Valley.  So far, it has held up.  I have read that the Sena is not "waterproof."   I have a Schuberth C4 with SC1 communication built in (Sena) and the only time I use the Sena is rider to passenger comms between Laura and I; we have the units paired.  I have had dificulties trying to pair to others for group rides (need to memorize the button push sequence required to pair with others. UGH!)   With the Cardo smartphone app I have used the Cardo unit, with success, quite a few times and love the fact that I can now participate in group ride chats, which include conversation about me or my riding.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  My ears do not burn so much anymore, though.  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

NO issues with the Cardo, quite the opposite from my experience with Sena.  Our "group" doing the START/FART switched over from Sena to Cardo about a year ago after one of the electronic gurus there "looked into it" after many issues with the Senas.  I believe there are several threads here on the subject.

+ 1

I cannot give you any helmet recommendations.  I bought the C4 due to it having built-in speakers/microphone for the Sena (SC1) comms.  As a side note:  the JBL 45mm speakers are separate from my built-in speakers.   If you use them, they would need to sit on top of the installed ones and that causes ear pressure pain after about 45 minutes, or so.   It got so bad, that I hacked into the wires to splice in a 3.5mm input jack.  I then use a double male connector wire to hook into the helmet speakers from the Cardo unit.  I would love to use the JBL speakers, but would need to remove the helmet speakers, which makes it difficult to use the Sena comm for passenger talk.   I may end up butchering the installed wiring, which would not be good.   No need to upgrade Laura yet to Cardo.  Who knows?    Someday that may happen.  Then I can remove the OEM speakers and use the Cardo JBL speakers.

Shelterwoods

I have a Shoei Neotec 2 that fits well is modular, and can be outfitted with a Sena intercom. Overall, it has worked very well for me, especially after attaching a Super-Visor visor. The visor had reduced the need for the internal sun shade, while making overall riding safer in glaring sun conditions.

Del

John Ranalletta
On 8/20/2021 at 10:39 PM, Brodiepunker18 said:

Hey all!

As I’m riding my RT more, I’m realizing that I need a more comfortable and better helmet.

I have always worn a full face icon helmet, and my past couple have included a drop down visor which is invaluable considering I wear glasses and ride both at night and in the daytime.

however their newest helmet with it I can’t comfortably wear because the pads are too tight and I can’t get my glasses on.the way they have the pads isn’t great.they keep changing the shape of the helmet.

On to the recommendation…Im interested in a modular helmet with the drop down visor. But I also want the Bluetooth headset as well. Is there any helmets you recommend for comfort and safety over another? And one that ticks the boxes I’m looking for?

thanks!

Eric

This video might be helpful.  Also, we have a earlier generation Cardo.  Works all the time, every time just doesn't have the packtalk feature.

https://youtu.be/9d8MALEJCHg

• Plus 1 1

That is an interesting video. Leaves me with a conundrum and definitely some things to think about.

If you want to add to your confusion...

The SC1 that is part of the Schuberth helmet is bluetooth only so you are limited to only 4 other riders/devices. I looked at that myself and decided I did not want to be limited since Sena (and most of the other comm manufacturers) are moving to the Mesh interface. 

With Mesh, I can push a button and be connected to any number of other riders if they are on the same Mesh channel (think of it as a more modern version of an FRS radio). And with Mesh, I can have my phone and GPS connected and still have full Mesh capabilities (ie, I'm not limited to the number of devices I'm connected to). Plus with mesh, it has longer range, auto re-connects, etc. 

So when I upgrade my helmet next year, I'll probably get another Schuberth (been wearing them for many years now and they tick all your boxes except the cost!) but I'll skip the build in system and use my external Sena 50S because of the mesh. 

Just my $0.02

Jim

• Plus 1 1
On 8/20/2021 at 10:39 PM, Brodiepunker18 said:

Hey all!

thanks!

Eric

My recommendation,.....it's your head, your comfort, your hearing, your feeling.  How my head is shaped, what my comfort level is, how much noise I tolerate and my overall feeling after several hours is likely different from yours.

I've worn Scorpion modular, Arai Corsair, Schuberth C3 and Shoei Neotec.  All of them fine helmets, Arai felt the best, but not modular and also no drop down visor,....Arai also, felt to me, to be the quietest.

I'd likely go for a Schuberth again but the "slam down" face shield, I don't dig much.  Had to modify the Shoei face shield so it wouldn't slam down at higher rates of speed. (I wear clear safety glasses under the shield, I like the wind in the face).

Get whatever, if it turns out it sucks,......wear it until your "break even" point, then get another.  To me, just walking around a store for a while, ain't gonna cut how it's gonna feel when its cold, when its a downpour, when it's sweltering hot.  gotta have real world experience to say if it will suit me and the only way to do that is to buy it and wear it, then if I don't like it, don't get it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t say I’ve tried all of them, but over the past few years I’ve found that Nolan helmets work well for me. The quality of construction is excellent and they are fairly quiet, while being a notch or two down in price as compared to helmets from Shoei, Arai, etc.  

Brodiepunker18

@Mike

for the Nolan helmets, they get really good reviews all the way around but the only thing that I’m concerned with is Nolan stating that only the n-com system is to be used with them. I would much rather have a cardo or sena unit. Especially since if I decided to get a Nolan then go with a different helmet in the future I’m not tied specifically to the Nolan n-com system.

do you use a different com system or the n-com system? 

thanks,

Eric

I’ve had good experiences with Shoei modulars for 15 years. I had no reason to look elsewhere and bought a Neotec 2 a few months ago. I’ve had mostly good experiences with Sena along the way but I did not buy the integrated unit with the Neotec 2 preferring to transfer the clamp-on 50S I bought in May 2020. I had battery life problems with this 50S but Sena eventually made it right under warranty. The group I ride with is on Sena mesh so it didn’t make sense to change brands over the battery problem though I suspect I’d be just as happy with Cardo judging from the way people bust equally on the other brand.

@Mike

for the Nolan helmets, they get really good reviews all the way around but the only thing that I’m concerned with is Nolan stating that only the n-com system is to be used with them. I would much rather have a cardo or sena unit. Especially since if I decided to get a Nolan then go with a different helmet in the future I’m not tied specifically to the Nolan n-com system.

do you use a different com system or the n-com system? 

thanks,

Eric

Eric—

I‘ve got the n-com system and it seems to work find, but I don’t have experience with the others for the purpose of comparison. I can’t see why the others wouldn’t work, though. 

Brodiepunker18
38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Eric—

I‘ve got the n-com system and it seems to work find, but I don’t have experience with the others for the purpose of comparison. I can’t see why the others wouldn’t work, though. 

I know you group ride, does it work well with the other systems meshing together? I’d like to ride more with others via group rides here or elsewhere and want to be able to communicate easily with others.

2 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I know you group ride, does it work well with the other systems meshing together? I’d like to ride more with others via group rides here or elsewhere and want to be able to communicate easily with others.

I’ve had a previous generation N-Com that I used that way, and honestly it was a pain to pair up with others. I’ve always been focused on the intercom function, and it works well for that purpose.

• Plus 1 1
Brodiepunker18

Thank you. I know this wasn’t initially what I was asking about however it does go hand in hand.

it’s just too bad that there are so many different technologies to do the same thing, yet they struggle to work together. Some definitely play nicer with others, of course. 

Definitely food for thought. I just need to find what is best for what I intend to use it for in terms of the communication device.

and I’ll have to try on a few different helmets and see how they feel. Probably have to do as @Rougarou suggested and try one and wear it until I’m at my break even point and if that isn’t my solution then to try another.

I definitely appreciate all of the responses and advice! Especially since this is almost a “which tire/oil is better” topic. Lol

thank you! 🙏 

-Eric

I think you have to just try on different brands and find one that fits snug without pressure points that develop. Wear it atleast 15 minutes in the store.

For me it's Arai. Signet Q was my previous model and now I'm wearing DTX. 

I use Cardo Freecom 2+ which works awesome for music and calling. None of my friends have intercoms so the Freecom 2 was sufficient over the Freecom 4.

• 4 weeks later...
Brodiepunker18

So I ended up finally trying on a few helmets and as much as I wanted to try on a Nolan, they just ARENT available anywhere and I don’t want to order one and send it back and pay return shipping.

I tried on a few and found the Shoei Neotec 2 doesn’t want to rip off my ears when I take it off. So I looked around and found myself a deal on a gently used(couple months before the guy was hit on his bike) with a cardo packtalk bold so I jumped on it. 

let’s see how I like it for a few years.

thanks everyone for the suggestions and insight.

-Eric

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:58 AM, realshelby said:

I'm kinda liking the HJC RPHA 90.  However, I already have a CARDO Freecom 2+ sitting unused on my office floor, so .... more lost $$$ if I choose this and switch out.

Lol, seems like that's how these things go for me, all the time. 

Yeah, at least the latest generation of communication devices are WAY ahead of those from not too many years back. I still very much like the integrated Sena unit in my RPHA 90 and it does everything I want it to do. Yet every rider has different needs and a different head shape!

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, realshelby said:

Yeah, at least the latest generation of communication devices are WAY ahead of those from not too many years back. I still very much like the integrated Sena unit in my RPHA 90 and it does everything I want it to do. Yet every rider has different needs and a different head shape!

Yep, I bought my wife and myself a pair of helmets "Bluetooth equipped", maybe about 2011-2013 timeframe.  They were cheap 'cause, well, so am I, (plus, my wife was just getting into riding pillion, and I wasn't sure how many rides we'd be taking together anyhow).  In a word, the performance "sucked".   Useless.  (Plus, the helmets weighed somewhere between 8 and 80 lbs each.🙄)  Anyhow, we used 'em a couple of times, then stowed them for eight years after I sold the bike, and I just finally dumped 'em last spring. 

I haven't hooked up the Cardo unit yet, and probably won't until next season at this rate, but expect to have a vast improvement.  As I discussed on another thread, the LS2 Valiant II I had bought last winter turned out to be unreliable, and I just sold it off.  I almost bought a new helmet last night, cause my old Nolan is way past date-expired.  Then I thought "Wait a minute, you're a cheap guy, what are you doing buying a helmet at full price when you can probably get it for 1/3 less in the off-season, or on Black Friday?!" 

I'm going to force myself to get out at least once a week until there's ice on these Northern Idaho roads, but there isn't enough riding season left to justify the rush for a new helmet at this point.

So, yeah, blah-blah... blah-blah... ride less, talk too much ... 🙄😖.

• Haha 1