IGNORED

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 not connecting

MachineJoe

I'm having troubles with connecting OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone.

Obviously I'm missing something along the way.

I've plugged in the unit to my 2017 RT and hit the on switch to the bike (not starting it) then paired to my IPad. I did the firmware update then hit the connect button in the app and it won't connect.

What might be preventing me from connecting?

I have found that trying to connect out front of my garage is iffy most of the time.  I have better luck moving the bike around to the rear of the house where my shop is, also closer to my router/computer/wifi.  Sometimes, even that won't work and I have an extension cord to hook the bike up directly to the computer and that never fails.  YMMV

Frank

Hi Frank,

Please enlighten me a bit

I get wifi reception in my garage on my IPad as I did the firmware update through the IPad and I watched the blinky lights on the OBD unit.

Are you saying that the OBD unit needs wifi reception as well?

5 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

I'm having troubles with connecting OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone.

Obviously I'm missing something along the way.

I've plugged in the unit to my 2017 RT and hit the on switch to the bike (not starting it) then paired to my IPad. I did the firmware update then hit the connect button in the app and it won't connect.

What might be preventing me from connecting?

Afternoon MachineJoe

Is your engine running? It probably needs to be.  

I’m  doubting that the unit I bought works with the bike. I tried it on my 2015 Infinity and it  worked/connected just fine.

While the bike as an OBD port, I don't think it responds to regular car commands.  As far as I know, only the MotoScan app will work on the BMW.  And that's Android only.

• Like 1

MX+ just purchased along with Moto scan app(professional) to reset service light and service date(18 RT1200RT).  Android phone connected fine and Moto scan app worked fine.  Took me a while to figure out that basic task, but I hope to learn more as I go.

Thanks Mike, 

I tried my wifes android phone. Bluetooth did not want to connect with the unpurchased MotoScan app so I tried the OBDLink app to make sure bluetooth was working and it was, but it did not connect with the bike as said previously.

Maybe there is a difference between the purchased and unpurchased (trial) version from MotoScan?

I think I had to go into the Moto scan app and tell it to connect to the MX+ as it was trying to use the generic scan tool I had first used.  Took a few minutes to figure out as this is all new to me.  My first try was with the unpurchased app and a generic reader I already had. That was suggested by the Moto scan app and it verified the app should work.  Then I purchased the new MX+ and the professional version of the app.  The LX version is suppose to be all you need but the MX+ just seemed to cover all my other vehicles too.  

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to download the Motoscan software into my Windows 10 computer.  Do I have to have the OBD scanner paired to the computer before the software will download?

Thanks

1 hour ago, KSB said:

I'm trying to download the Motoscan software into my Windows 10 computer.  Do I have to have the OBD scanner paired to the computer before the software will download?

Thanks

Unless something's changed Motoscan only works on Android devices.

• Like 1