IGNORED

Battery Charger on R1200RT

ButtUgly

I recently sold my 1150GS to purchase a new 1200RT(On order / delivery next week!!!) I decided to keep my OpiMate

trickle charge battery charger to use on my new bike.

Reading some of the threads, I get the feeling that this will not be possible due to the Can Bus wiring technology on the RT.

Can someone shed some light on this issue?

thanx,

Patrick thumbsup.gif

If I am not mistaken you have to hook up directly to the battery and not through the accessory plug. My Battery Tender I hooked up directly through the winter on my R12RT.

steveknapp

If I am not mistaken you have to hook up directly to the battery and not through the accessory plug.

Correct.

Another alternative is to install the rear accessory socket directly to the battery instead of into the bike wiring system. Many of us have done that and it works well plus gives you a good direct to battery source for high current accessories like a pump that can be a problem when used through the bike wiring.

Excellent feedback.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I will rewire as soon as I get the bike!

Cheers,

Pat

I did the direct to battery hook-up...Just pull the seat and plug in........No problem and simple...Unless you are going to use the added rear BMW plug for a passenger or other use this is the best and simplest solution to trickle charging.........

Phil........Redbrick

I have my battery charger with a Gerbing's plug so I can use my direct wired Gerbing outlet for the charger hookup also.

R1200ST

Archived