IGNORED

saddlebag locking onto the bike

Doug McV

I have a 2016 RT.  I took off my bags to clean the bike.  When I went to put the bags back on, one of them would not lock in place.  I finally found a forum that explains how to do it without taking the entire mechanism apart.

Place the bag on its mounts, press down on the tip, simultaneously press the top of the case toward the bike and pull the bottom of the case away from the bike as far as its bracket will allow and use your forearm or a friend to press the handle down into its locked position.

there are two spring mounted plastic nubs in the holes that fit over the upper brackets mounted on the bike.  They need to be compressed to allow the handle to be depressed into its locked position.  My guess is that, over time, these plastic nubs get worn down from all the bouncing around they have to endure while mounted on the bike.

Save yourself the hassle of dismantling the mechanism and get on your bike in 5-minutes with your bags safely locked in place.

My '17 RT left sidecase does that.  A friend was fiddling around with his and accidentally came upon the remedy by pushing the top of the case toward the bike while locking down the handle.  He was kind enough to share that tidbit and it works on mine, and I don't have to lift the bottom or any other fiddling.  The other side case just slips in place and locks down easily.

Glad you shared this info!