IGNORED

Which shocks to buy for 1100rt

Hulka

My shocks are dying and I am going to buy a new pair here next month. Question to all of you out there which is a better shock? Wilber or Ohlins? I know it is really a matter of personal choice but I am sure a few riders out ther have tried both and I would like to know the pros and cons to them.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I recommend Wilburs. They work great for me. Plus if you have any questions or problems you can Klaus direct and get some good answers. thumbsup.gif

I put Werks shocks on my '97 and really like them...I'm sure it's a matter of taste but I'm not disappointed!!

d

I think any of the several aftermarket suspension options to fit the 1100RT will greatly improve the ride over the OEM. Do a search here as there are a bunch of threads on this very topic. FWIW, I purchased Ohlins this spring for my 1100RT as there were several outlets offering discounts from list....it still cost me over $1100 to get them to my door, but good suspension doesn't come cheap no matter how you go. There are other choices that may cost less and give good results. I wanted the Ohlins and so far I am thrilled with them. They were set-up to bolt on and go, but I've since tweaked them to my particular version of perfection. When I have a little more spare time I will post a tweakers report. In the end I now wished I hadn't waited for the OEMs to fade before I purchased aftermarket suspension.

My bike just turned 49K miles on it, and I too can feel a need for new shocks, i'm just gulping at the $1100.00 price tag I keep hearing.

lazywizard

I went through all these same decision points and I bought Ohlins. They were factory set and will be installed today! Without specific scientific data though I doubt the real ordinary user could differentiate Works - Ohlins - Wilbur etc. Good Luck

Given that there may not be a significant difference in the quality of Wilburs and Ohlins, maybe your decision should come down to ease of acquisition and subsequent servicing.

What are the symptoms of dying shocks? I have 77,000 miles on the original shocks on my 99 RT. It sometimes seems a little squirrelly in bumps in corners, but I don't remember what it was like when it was new, so I don't know if it has changed.

Jerry Duke

"Squirrelly in bumps in corners". Yep, that's about as close a symptom as I've ever heard.

What are the symptoms of dying shocks? I have 77,000 miles on the original shocks on my 99 RT. It sometimes seems a little squirrelly in bumps in corners, but I don't remember what it was like when it was new, so I don't know if it has changed.
I have 77,000 miles on the original shocks...

That's a big one right there. Almost all of the suspension makers recommend rebuild or replacement every 20k - 30k miles for a reason. Most of us don't realize that shocks are essentially a consumable just like tires and oil. Just that it takes a longer time for them to wear out so the gradual degradation is less noticeable. Allot of riders also buy their bikes used with the shocks already shot so, with no original point of reference, they just assume that's the way the bike always rode. Like you said, you don't remember what the bike was like when new. Put a good aftermarket suspension on it and I bet you will be "shocked"!

Alien_Hitchhiker

I'm sure they are a notch (or two) below the performance level of Wilbers or Ohlins, but I mounted up a pair of Hagons on my 1100RT about 500 miles ago and have been more than satisfied. Cost = $910, which included a remote hydraulic adjuster for the rear end.

Both front and rear are preload adjustable and both have combined rebound & compression damping adjustability, making them more tunable than stock.

With 40K miles on the original suspenders, the improvement is eye-opening.

GOSH! these are sweet bikes!

Link:

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc/HAGON_MONOSHOCKS.html

Sorry for the delay in posting. My bike is bottoming out around some corners with small bumps that where it never did before. I put a pair of lights on under the cooler and when I hit a small but the front fender hit shte lights. I did not gain any weight since I bought the bike USED in January, so I know it was not that. Bike also seems to sit lower. It is a '99 rt with 27000+ miles. It had 19000+ on it when I bought it. So the suspension was on its way out.

Check with LE Engineering (408.371.6151) for rebuilding at least your rear shock and then you might refer to my posting of 02/10/05 re cost savings. I doubt that only one in a thousand could tell the difference in performance between all the options mentioned or would need more than rebound and height adjustments for these bikes.

Archived