IGNORED

Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket Review intro

Comfort is a Drug — The Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket

It’s sometimes difficult to determine when exactly you’ll need something. “Be Prepared” was the motto echoed at Boy Scout camp-outs when I was a kid, and I suppose many of those lessons sort of stuck. I wouldn’t call myself a “Doomsday Prepper” by any means, but I’m certainly not afraid to have some extra stuff in case the poo hits the ceiling fan: a medical kit stuffed behind the seat of the truck, an emergency blanket, a headlamp tucked into my backpack. Nothing out of the ordinary. No bunker full of toilet paper. But when I travel, especially for work, I like to make sure I have some back-up, including extra batteries, a spare charger, and more cables than I’ll likely need.

I prefer to pack fast, light, and small, however, when it comes to clothing and gear. When traveling on a motorcycle, you have even less carrying capacity. So, between my recent adventure in Saudi Arabia documenting the Dakar Rally, and a week-long dual-sport ride in Baja with a few friends, I had the opportunity to test the new Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket, a down coat that saved my life.

Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket Review FB

Ultralight alpinist apparel finds its way into many a motorcycle adventure. The technology used to produce and retain warmth in such a small package shouldn’t go unnoticed by anyone traveling on a dual-sport or adventure motorcycle. If you have a full riding suit from a name brand company, it may have come with a liner, or more than one. The separate garments can be cumbersome and hard to put on quickly or in a pinch. And they generally zip into the outer shell, snap to the sleeves, etc., and are seldom made to be worn on their own. For those reasons, I typically pack a down jacket designed for mountaineering instead. But not all down systems are created equal. Many utilize a heavy down fill and are bulky, albeit incredibly warm.

Imagine the K2 or Everest base camp. No one there looks svelte. Instead, they’re a pack of wandering yellow marshmallows. And that program doesn’t work well beneath an armored motorcycle outfit. But, unlike base camp attire, the Big Agnes Soda Peak can pack into its pocket, stuffing down to roughly the size of a couple of TP rolls. Using 850 FP DownTek water-resistant down, the Soda Peak weighs in at 12 oz. with a shell and lining made from a 12D 100% nylon rip-stop, water-repellent finish. It features YKK Vision zippers, adjustable draw-cords on the hood and hem to keep the elements out while sealing in body heat, and no-draft thumbholes at the end of each sleeve.

Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket Review Packed

So, how did it save my life, and why is it better than any other ultralight down jacket on the market? It turns out Saudi Arabia can get awfully cold, as in below-freezing temps in the mountains north of Riyadh. About halfway through this year’s Dakar Rally, three other photographers and I found ourselves forced to camp at a remote bivouac; the only problem was we didn’t have any camping gear with us. Curled up on the floor of the makeshift mess hall with a backpack full of camera gear as a pillow, the Soda Peak, with its tight-fitting hood and silly thumb slots, was the only thing between me and hypothermia. But why is it any better than what else is out there? Because the 850 FP DownTek is treated with DWR (Durable Water Repellency), which renders the down hydrophobic. Not only does it repel moisture and insulate warmth, the Soda Peak is designed to transition through seasons and activities, meaning it’s light enough to act as a mid-layer should things get Everest-like, but also warm enough for aerobic activities—for example, riding your dual-sport or climbing dunes in Saudi Arabia at dusk.

All in all, I wouldn’t have wanted any other down jacket with me for either of those adventures. It packed small enough to fit into an overnight pannier set-up I have on my DR-Z, and it often found itself being used as a makeshift pillow in the Land Cruiser we used to chase the Dakar. It was a warm and welcoming friend in the early morning and waning hours of each evening.

Big Agnes Soda Peak Jacket Review Vertical

BigAgnes.com

MSRP: $299.95

PROS:

• Ultra-lightweight and packs into its front pocket
  • DWR-treated 850 FP DownTek is weather-resistant and warm
  • MSRP is less than what most alpine outfitters are asking for similar products

CONS:

• It only comes in two colors, black and blue
  • The hood fits very tightly around the face, making it hard to see out of your peripherals

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/3DlyAU5Sz0o

View the full article