Motorcycle Lock Recommendations Please

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

Hello:

I'll be going on a trip through the southwest, and am considering a motorcycle lock. I am looking at two different Abus locks: the GRANIT™ Victory XPlus 68, and the GRANIT™ Sledg 77. I would appreciate suggestions or experience with locks as I've not used any previously.

Thank you in advance.

Del

I don't use one. The BMW's factory locks are all I've needed...... here in the PNW as well as when I lived in the southwest. YMMV

Skywagon

I don't want to talk you out of it, but I've never heard of a BMW being stolen.  I use the BMW fork lock and the alarm, but nothing else.  Most of the time I just leave my helmet and jacket on the seat, even overnight, and no issue.  If you need a lock, get a good heavy one.  A cheap one is a waste of money.

mickeym3

Locks are only to keep mostly honest folks that way, if a thief wants the bike they will get it.  Have always relied on the BMW fork lock but then I normally tent camp with the bike next to the tent or stay at a relatively upscale motel. I also shy away from soft luggage left overnight on the bike, a razor makes pretty quick work of straps on underside of the bag, ask me how I know. :4317:

Most recent theft data I can find (new report coming later this month?) is from the National Insurance Crime Bureau annual report:

image.thumb.png.112699e3702e063a2da5756f8ea6f8ca.pngrecen

image.thumb.png.a5d3788f8072a4f6571294003d1513d8.png

I do not carry a lock, though I once did. Too heavy, inconvenient to use and store, and probably not effective.  
My comprehensive Insurance covering theft is paid up, with trip interruption coverage that can cover much, if not all, of the cost to get back home.

Rob Nowell

the lower map shows counties, and I am originally from Lincoln County, Montana (farthest northwest corner)..............there probably aren't 29 road bikes in the entire county, so most of the thefts have gotta be dirt bikes & quads!

Shelterwoods

Dear Skywagon:

I searched for "stolen" after posting my questions, and one of the first posts i saw was Stolen 2021 gsa. This post made it seem that a lock of some sort would have been of some value, at least in slowing the thief down.

Del

I remember reading about that on a couple of forums.  I never followed up.   I wonder if it was ever recovered?

Oldrider51

I use an older Kryptonite disc lock whenever the bike is out. I feel that if someone wants to steal it which maybe very slight, at least I want to make them work for it. I have been using one for probably over 30 years of riding.

nohbahdi

I just picked simple rear disc lock with a 120DB alarm for under $100 (Xena Intelligent Security XX-6 Disc Lock with Alarm) and I'm looking into a front caliper lock (RoadLok) as well, for piece of mind. The fork lock won't do anything by itself - I've seen a vid of kids putting a bike's front wheel on a small dolly and just rolling it out of a parking garage.

It's not that these will make your bike un-stealable, but just a little more difficult to steal and that may make the thief move on to the next one...

• 3 weeks later...
Shelterwoods

I bought an Abus Sledge 77 lock. It's small, appears to be difficult to pick out grind off, and comes with a warning cable and carry case.

Del

The Abus disk locks are pretty robust and don’t take up a lot of room. I’d suggest a tether to your handlebars as a reminder not to ride off with the disk locked…a mistake I only made once. 🙄

• 1 month later...
Andre1150

I use an ABUS rear disc lock  as a deterrent when I'm in the San Francisco or parked downtown in LA, it's far too easy to roll my R1200RS into a ramp and take off with it. It was $29 and just added an extra layer of deterrence to the fork locks my and electronic ignition. It's really too much of a hassle to put on and take off each time you ride, but first overnight parking in sketchy areas, I feel like it's a must.