IGNORED

Organic rear brake pads?

BamaJohn

This "organic" craze is making me crazy

I replaced the rear brake pads on my '17 RT with organic pads (EBC FA209/2), but only got 6,000 miles and rear brakes were metal-on-metal.  Anyone else had this experience?

I know that my cheeky friends will ask "why are you using the rear brake so much?", or "you must be a heavy-footed Neanderthal", or some other term of endearment, but all I'm asking is "has anyone else used organic pads and did they last long?   :90:

IMG_6098.JPG

Maybe it is something in the software that proportions the front / rear. 

I had the rear needing to be replaced first, but that was at the 18 k service.   I would have thought they would have outlasted the fronts.  I am not sure what the dealer installed, but figuring OEM as per the manual.    Not to hijack the topic, but my front calipers are still Hayes, with the rear being Brembo.  :whistle:

6 k does not sound very promising.  Dang.

2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Anyone else had this experience

Yes... few years ago I went with organic (bought at dealer) because they are so smooth and quiet.  I think mine were gone in 4000 miles and every time I rode there was brake dust everywhere.  I wrote to EBC and asked them what I should do.  They said dealer should not have sold me those for street riding.  They sent me a new pair for free and thanked me for being a loyal customer.

35 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Your bike calls for metallic pads..... organic pads are not for high performance vehicles:5147:

(Pls see the photo in OP of the owners manual, specifying organic pads for the rear)

Check to make sure the sliding pins on the rear caliber are not sticking, This could cause the brake pads to wear prematurely. 

I been using a EBC brake pad on my WetHead, not sure which one. I did buy them from BeemerBoneYard.

On the HexHead I used Carbon Lorraine, also from BeemerBoneYard, and those would last around 15-20K.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

Check to make sure the sliding pins on the rear caliber are not sticking, This could cause the brake pads to wear prematurely. 

I been using a EBC brake pad on my WetHead, not sure which one. I did buy them from BeemerBoneYard.

On the HexHead I used Carbon Lorraine, also from BeemerBoneYard, and those would last around 15-20K.

Thanks Bernie.  The "organic" pads were EBC brand.  Im now using EBC sintered metallic on the rear.   Just replaced the front pads and used Carbon Lorraine.  All replacement pads came from Beemer Boneyard.  On the 2nd replacement pads, I did remove the caliper and clean/lube the sliders and contact points for the pads.

All's ok with the bike and now with the pads, just wondered if I was the only one who fell for the "organic" pads.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, strataj said:

This is strange the manual I have shows sintered metal front and rear.  I too have been using EBC - very good results

image.png.b81cfcdbf30591653039e0e0a6fa8687.png

image.png.3b3c94fb1c459be8658d3cc6e8e1aa83.png

Is your bike manual for a '17 RT?  

So we've decided on sintered pads??:4907:

I'm kidding you 'cause this wouldn't be the first time that BMW printed the wrong info in a publication....... We are of the generation that was taught to think critically! And it has served us well..... especially when dealing with motorcycles:18:

So now I'm confused.  My '14 manual says organic pads for rear. I would think that organic are appropriate for the rear giving the weight transfer forward. I'm pretty close to replacing front and rear brakes and want to ensure I'm getting the right ones. 

1 hour ago, K100Fran said:

So now I'm confused.  My '14 manual says organic pads for rear. I would think that organic are appropriate for the rear giving the weight transfer forward. I'm pretty close to replacing front and rear brakes and want to ensure I'm getting the right ones. 

Afternoon  K100Fran

What '14, BMW had a number of different  2014 models.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, 9Mary7 said:

I'm kidding you 'cause this wouldn't be the first time that BMW printed the wrong info in a publication....... We are of the generation that was taught to think critically! And it has served us well..... especially when dealing with motorcycles:18:

I put sintered metallic on the rear the 2nd time I changed them.  Now sintered metallic front & rear.  Not saying what I did is right, just that it's what I did.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, 9Mary7 said:

Oh-oh!  BMW printing wrong or confusing information in their specification....I sense an oil additive circular firing squad type event about to unfold:lurk:

• Haha 1